Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default 2013 Emmy's - Netflix has arrived?

With the way TV is popping out high quality program year-after-year, network-after-network recently I am more interested in this then the Oscars now. Might not deserve it's own thread but I thought the massive nominations Netflix got for House of Cards and Arrested Development was deserving. The ever changing landscape of how we view our media.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/t...-list/2550521/

Quote:
DRAMA SERIES:

Breaking Bad, AMC
Downton Abbey, PBS
Homeland, Showtime
Game of Thrones, HBO
House of Cards, Netflix
Mad Men, AMC
I still haven't seen Downton Abbey, had a plethora of people tell me I'd love it just haven't gotten around to it yet... these are all incredible series though. Just by judging on the last season alone for this years nominations it's a toss up between Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones. Hard to deny House of Cards though...

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/18/45...ed-development
Quote:
Netflix's commitment to developing original content for its video streaming service appears to be paying off. Following the launch of House of Cards and a fourth season of Arrested Development earlier this year, the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences announced both Netflix shows have been nominated in the 65th Emmy Awards — with Netflix becoming the first company to receive a nomination for an online-only show.

Political drama House of Cards was nominated for nine Emmys, including one for best drama series. Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright also received acting nominations for their work. Arrested Development received three nominations in total, after Jason Bateman was nominated for best lead actor in a comedy series. Hemlock Grove also got in on the act with two nominations for music and special effects. Netflix won't have it all it's own way, House of Cards will be up against Homeland, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Downton Abbey, and Game of Thrones for the coveted outstanding drama award. Even Netflix's chief content officer Ted Sarandos wasn't expecting the company to fair so well: "The number of awards this morning [14] was sort of a shock for everybody. We didn't plan a big enough party."
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a single nominee from NBC, CBS, Fox, or ABC. My oh my basic network television sure has gone down hill fast. There used to be a time when all the important shows were all on basic networks, and no one really cared about any of the Cable networks (beyond HBO). Now the roles have completely reversed, and I for one would have no problem cancelling basic service packages if it meant I could only have AMC/HBO/Showtime/FX instead. Pretty crazy how quickly the turnaround happened.

But hey maybe they're happier that they cleaned up in the ####ty reality show category. Cheaper and easier to produce, and it's plainly obvious that's all the dummies at those networks are capable of doing these days. Fox might as well change its name to GRN (Gordon Ramsay Network).
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #3
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still not on board with how Netflix releases their series. I get the appeal, but it's not for me. When it comes to new run shows, I like the build up, the anticipation, the wait for a big episode.

I like going to work on a Monday and chatting with people about last night's episode. I like talking about the next episode for a week on what's going to happen next, who's gonna die, who's gonna betray who.

I like being able to watch a big episode at the same time as everyone else. With Netflix, there's none of those feelings. Not to mention, unless you watch a series right away in a marathon session, you're at risk of big spoilers.

I'm not a big binge watcher of any shows, I like to let a show sink in and let it simmer.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #4
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

the Drama category isn't really fair for the networks, they can't compete with the cable channels.

Basically the Sopranos started the demise of the network Drama. Lost was pretty much the last gasp.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

How in the name of balls does Big Bang Theory get an Emmy nod for best comedy when Arrested Development gets nothing except Bateman's nomination?

The mind boggles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
How in the name of balls does Big Bang Theory get an Emmy nod for best comedy when Arrested Development gets nothing except Bateman's nomination?

The mind boggles.
Tv nominations are screwed but I don't know if there is a better way to do it. Basically the entire season or an entire seasons performance is based on whatever episode the respective shows producer send in to the voting committee. For a show like Arrested just basing an entire season on one episode is almost impossible.

Mind you... Big Bang sucks so your point is still valid.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #7
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe it has, but this has more to do with the star power of House of Cards than anything (though I thought it was a strong season). If you had a bunch of no-names or middling names on that show the Emmys wouldn't pay attention. Instead you have an A-Lister in Kevin Spacey starring and producing the show. The Emmys are notorious star ####ers, I mean the freaking Phil Spector movie which was laughable got nominated for Best TV Movie, because that way you get Al Pacino and Helen Mirren to show up for your awards show.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #8
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Maybe it has, but this has more to do with the star power of House of Cards than anything (though I thought it was a strong season). If you had a bunch of no-names or middling names on that show the Emmys wouldn't pay attention. Instead you have an A-Lister in Kevin Spacey starring and producing the show. The Emmys are notorious star ####ers, I mean the freaking Phil Spector movie which was laughable got nominated for Best TV Movie, because that way you get Al Pacino and Helen Mirren to show up for your awards show.
Agree. That said, House Of Cards was very much worthy of it's nods.

Quote:
Old 07-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #9
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I can't find a movie on Netflix in Canada that I would be interested in watching. Slim pickings.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I can't find a movie on Netflix in Canada that I would be interested in watching. Slim pickings.
One that you haven't watched, or one in general?
Old 07-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #11
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I was intrigued by House of Cards, but blown away by Orange is the New Black. What a good show.

Netflix is learning that their role in media distribution is in TV, not movies. And they are learning very quickly how to hit it out of the park.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:25 AM   #12
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not a huge Downtown Abbey fan, watched the first season and it's just not my thing, though I acknowledge the talent of the people involved.

PBS is a broadcast so technically those nets still score one on the board. The academy seems to love The Good Wife with all its recent noms, and then Lost and House further back. Some were expecting Kevin Bacon to make it for The Following this year. I wasn't. I'll buy into the netflix premise if the academy picks something other than Mad Men to truly confirm that their hardon for that show has subsided and that Homeland winning wasn't an anomaly.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #13
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I was intrigued by House of Cards, but blown away by Orange is the New Black. What a good show.
I haven't given House of Cards a try yet but I just finished up Orange is the New Black and it was a great show. Funny and heartfelt.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #14
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
One that you haven't watched, or one in general?
In general. Mostly B-movies, or worse.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #15
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post

The mind boggles.
Probably because AD on netflix was, at best, an average comedy. The show has been a shell of its former self since the start of season 3. You can't spend half a season of a comedy with unfunny episodes to setup a funny 2nd half. That's what AD season 1 and 2 did well; it setup complicated layered jokes but made you laugh the whole way. Just my.02
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:13 AM   #16
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigans Law View Post
Probably because AD on netflix was, at best, an average comedy. The show has been a shell of its former self since the start of season 3. You can't spend half a season of a comedy with unfunny episodes to setup a funny 2nd half. That's what AD season 1 and 2 did well; it setup complicated layered jokes but made you laugh the whole way. Just my.02
So what you're saying is that Big Bang Theory was funnier in it's last season than AD? I don't know how many time you can tell the same joke and be funny TBH.

Quote:
Old 07-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #17
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post

Netflix is learning that their role in media distribution is in TV, not movies. And they are learning very quickly how to hit it out of the park.
I've seen a few critics talk about but it should be getting more press

by far the best thing Netflix has done so far
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #18
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I didn't really like Orange is the New Black, but not because it isn't a good show. It is....almost better than House of Cards IMO.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #19
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Good as place as any to post this.

Quote:
It's not TV. It's … Netflix?
The video streaming service is officially bigger than HBO, at least when it comes to which has more paid subscribers.

Netflix now has 29.9 million paid U.S. subscribers.

In comparison, Bloomberg reports HBO has about 28.7 million subscribers, according to numbers from SNL Kagan.
http://www.businessinsider.com/netfl...#ixzz2iTFM9ZTg

Pretty big moves as its obvious people love Netflix business model. Plus it has proven to be viable.

I guess HBO likes constantly having the most pirated shows years after year instead of offering people a way to watch them legally.

Also from the article.

Quote:
Cable television subscriptions are only continuing to go down as people are heading elsewhere to watch shows. As of September, 1.8 million ended their TV subscriptions in Q2 of 2013.
Internet streaming is the way of the future.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #20
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Big Bang Theory is roughly on the same level of comedy as 3 and a half men. Which is to say not funny at all. Yet the viewers don't seem to care if a show is actually funny, which is why everyone watches that crap and no one watched 30 Rock.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote