Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #101
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

The Wire
Old 02-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #102
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
The Wire
...went 59 episodes too long.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #103
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
...went 59 episodes too long.
Completely disagree. Each season had it's own theme and explored different elements of why big city problems existed in Baltimore. Season 1-the streets. Season 2-the docks or international crime. Season 3-Politics, not just mayoral politics. Season 4-the schools/the youth. Season 5-the media.

All of the elements were explored thoroughly while following key characters throughout the season and following the overarching problems with the war on drugs. Brilliantly executed show that is only for those willing to stick through it for the reward of each season. In fact, I basically consider each season to be inidividual miniseries related to each other. One of my favourite shows ever...but I'm not sure that it ended too soon. I thought it ran as long as it should have.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #104
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Back when it was cancelled I was really disappointed that Ed didn't go longer. I re-watched the series recently and understand now why it didn't make it past 2004, but at the time I was very unhappy it was cancelled so early.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:37 PM   #105
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Good call. I forgot about Enterprise.
Loved that show.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #106
MolsonInBothHands
First Line Centre

Exp:

Alias. Loved Jennifer Garner kicking ass.
MolsonInBothHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:26 PM   #107
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Reaper
Dark Angel
Freakazoid
Frisky Dingo

Edit: Almost forgot The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.

Last edited by ResAlien; 02-25-2013 at 11:31 PM.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:42 PM   #108
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

People liked Enterprise?
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:49 PM   #109
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Can't believe that I forgot Clone High. Great show, hilarious and only 1 season
I thought that was actually planned? MTV at the time was airing a years worth of various animated shows based in school, like "Undergrads". I forget the reason for this, but I thought that is what MTV was doing at the time.

And my picks:

V (original)
Knight Rider (original)
Prison Break
Spitting Image

I can't recall if "Cracker" was cancelled or Robbie Coltrane had bigger fish to fry, but that was a great crime series that I would have liked to have seen more of.

Last edited by Wormius; 02-25-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:08 AM   #110
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Flames Fan View Post
Completely disagree. Each season had it's own theme and explored different elements of why big city problems existed in Baltimore. Season 1-the streets. Season 2-the docks or international crime. Season 3-Politics, not just mayoral politics. Season 4-the schools/the youth. Season 5-the media.

All of the elements were explored thoroughly while following key characters throughout the season and following the overarching problems with the war on drugs. Brilliantly executed show that is only for those willing to stick through it for the reward of each season. In fact, I basically consider each season to be inidividual miniseries related to each other. One of my favourite shows ever...but I'm not sure that it ended too soon. I thought it ran as long as it should have.
Even though I didn't like it, my comment was mostly a joke as it seems to be a very popular series. Season 4 sits behind only Season 5 of Breaking Bad in terms of all-time Metacritic score. I just can't figure out how, as the series is so incredibly slow and plodding that it probably lost half of its potential audience 6-7 episodes into the first season (just like me). I'm definitely not willing to sacrifice 9-10 hours of my life for a 1 hour payoff, especially when I didn't enjoy the 9-10 I had to sacrifice.

Was waiting for, and was glad I didn't see, the common "the show doesn't hold your hand" comment. A lot of shows don't, and I still seem to enjoy them just fine.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #111
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Flames Fan View Post
No. That was Conan at his unfunniest ever. NBC really limited the type of humour on that show. He was always great at silly and unscripted comedy. The Tonight Show is as bland and scripted as it gets. He hasn't been the same since and is only moderately funnier on TBS.

Give me the days of Late Night with Conan O'Brien.
I bet if you gave him the option right now to move his show back to New York, he'd take it in a second. But obviously its too late for all that, especially after moving his whole crew (and their families) with him across the country.

He just doesn't seem like his crazy old self in L.A., he's an East Coast guy. He seems kind of down in the dumps to me whenever I watch now.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #112
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I bet if you gave him the option right now to move his show back to New York, he'd take it in a second. But obviously its too late for all that, especially after moving his whole crew (and their families) with him across the country.

He just doesn't seem like his crazy old self in L.A., he's an East Coast guy. He seems kind of down in the dumps to me whenever I watch now.
Well the guy is turning 50 this year. Maybe he's just getting old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:24 AM   #113
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonInBothHands View Post
Alias. Loved Jennifer Garner kicking ass.
I think it would have been good if it was only season 1 and 2. Got a little lame after that
Old 02-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #114
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Well the guy is turning 50 this year. Maybe he's just getting old.
I think that's definitely part of it, especially considering his juvenile, spastic brand of humour (in a good way). But I can't help but notice how much more alive he was on his week long shows in Chicago and New York the past couple years. It was like watching classic Conan.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #115
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How could I forget my favorite show when I was young: The Highwayman
LouCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #116
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Dead Like Me"

Really liked the idea of Grim Reapers walking the streets. Great role for Mandy Patinkin as well.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #117
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Xena
Buffy
Old 02-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #118
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Xena
Buffy
Did Buffy get cancelled? I thought they decided to end it when SMG said that she was leaving.

If anything that show went on two years too long and really lost itself when it went to a different network.

It went from a show with a message of female empowerment and finding a reason to live and fight to this grim angry whiny show where they just lazily threw everything bad that they could think of at the characters.

I'm not saying that the show didn't have its moments in the last two years. Once more with feeling and some other episodes were brilliant. But really went off of the rails.

Maybe when Buffy died she wasn't bought back by the scoobies, maybe she was in hell the whole time.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #119
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Millenium
Johnny Bravo
Ren and Stimpy
Raines (Can't believe that was 6 years ago already)
Star Trek: Enterprise.
Airwolf (CBS Jan Michael Vincent version) Best 80's series period.

Was Airwolf the one where they parked it on train tracks and destroyed the helicopter in the last episode? I remember how much that pissed me off as a kid and couldn't understand why they would do that...
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #120
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Even though I didn't like it[The Wire], my comment was mostly a joke as it seems to be a very popular series. Season 4 sits behind only Season 5 of Breaking Bad in terms of all-time Metacritic score. I just can't figure out how, as the series is so incredibly slow and plodding that it probably lost half of its potential audience 6-7 episodes into the first season (just like me). I'm definitely not willing to sacrifice 9-10 hours of my life for a 1 hour payoff, especially when I didn't enjoy the 9-10 I had to sacrifice.

Was waiting for, and was glad I didn't see, the common "the show doesn't hold your hand" comment. A lot of shows don't, and I still seem to enjoy them just fine.
Completely valid arguments. I understand why people don't want to sit through it. It's just so different from anything else on t.v. that I feel it deserves more of an audience. It plays more like a novel set to screen, and that isn't the most entertaining for the casual fan.

The one thing that can be tough is following all the different characters and plot lines. Sometimes you have to remember what happened with a character 2 or 3 seasons ago to understand their motivation in a particular scene. That's tough for someone who isn't watching it straight through. Honestly, you have to watch the episodes all back to back within a short time frame (a week or two) to get the full effect. Every season always builds to a wonderful crescendo, but does it early enough in the season to see the denouement and the after effects of the climax.

Really, I just like things that are a little bit different and The Wire is definitely that.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote