Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #21
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
So did the guards at the tent of the general, no doubt, weapons are a status symbol.
Rewatched some bits of it. The lower level goons all carry what look to be musket style rifles, that you could probably load with led balls and black powder. Guns that actually require bullets with modern shells seem to only be in the possession of the higher ups.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #22
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Rewatched some bits of it. The lower level goons all carry what look to be musket style rifles, that you could probably load with led balls and black powder. Guns that actually require bullets with modern shells seem to only be in the possession of the higher ups.

I was sure the two guards at the entrance to the tent for the general, when he recieves the messanger had what looked to be assault rifles.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #23
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
having to resort to muskets seems like a stretch. they had the ability to made modern bullets well before electricity, surely someone somewhere has the capability to stamp out ammo for a Winchester or a Colt
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #24
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
having to resort to muskets seems like a stretch. they had the ability to made modern bullets well before electricity, surely someone somewhere has the capability to stamp out ammo for a Winchester or a Colt
But then we couldn't have cool sword battles.....
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #25
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

maybe trade through the other militia controlled areas is an issue, of course this is my "suspension of disbelief" work flat out.

Quote:
Old 09-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #26
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
How would you stamp out the brass casings once they have ran out? I know some people could figure it out, but not a lot of them. Could you do it without google? Easier to figure out a musket.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #27
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I was sure the two guards at the entrance to the tent for the general, when he recieves the messanger had what looked to be assault rifles.
Sorry, when referring to goons, I mean the random goons all over. You are correct, the guards did have assault rifles:

The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #28
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
How would you stamp out the brass casings once they have ran out? I know some people could figure it out, but not a lot of them. Could you do it without google? Easier to figure out a musket.
Ultimately, you could do any of these things, with steam powered machines. However, it is feasable that if a considerable amount of chaos occurred during the 15 years after electricity ended, you wouldn't be able to set up the infrastructure to have fully functional steam operated factories yet.

Another major limitation beyond the production of the casing, would be the production of "smokeless powder"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokeless_powder

Old musket style weapons can use black powder, which is relatively easy to produce. Black powder is, however, unsuitable for a modern bullet.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #29
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
Looks like bullets just got more expensive. Main bad guy had a nice gun, other bad guys had muzzle loaders, as bullets would be much cheaper for that. Seems plausible.

15 years is a lot of time for Americans to go through that ammo at the rate they would shoot.
In the world of Metro 2033, high-grade (pre-apocalypse) ammo becomes the de-facto currency, and low-grade (post-apocalypse) ammo is cheaper.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2012, 08:29 PM   #30
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

I hope they just leave the whole "electricity stopped working" premise without an explanation, because an actual attempt at explaining how it suddenly stopped and people continued living (and matter stayed together) would be so beyond stupid I would have to turn the TV off immediately.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #31
HPLovecraft

Exp:

Now that I think of it, though, it's probably going to be some blanketed EMP effect that's temporarily disabled modern technology. If that's the case, I won't turn off the TV. Maybe pulling the plug on the Lost island caused an electromagnetic discharge that fried electronics world-wide!
Old 09-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #32
HPLovecraft

Exp:

Quote:
Meh. I don't really see the clean clothes thing as much of an issue. If 99% of the population died, there'd be wareshouses and warehouses filled with unsold clothes and laundry detergent. If your clothes wore out, you could just grab some new ones.

The pilot was a little slow, but I'll give it another chance.
The super crisp clothing combined with the incredibly clean looking hair and robust usage of blush on the women screams amateur sci-fi or fantasy to me. Yeah, you can sort of rationalize it with elaborate stocks of shampoo and clothing captured from warehouses (though it looks like they're living rural lives where they barely ever leave the vicinity of their little houses), but it still looks corny. At least in Lost everyone looked like they were sticky most of the time (I hate always referencing Lost when it comes to these types of TV shows, but I can't help myself). Honestly, the pilot looked like a regular SyFy production with more expensive sets.

As an aside, what kind of person makes a stylized logo of their last initial then tattoos it on their arm along with their name? How odd.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #33
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
What I really didn't get was the use of swords (there is no shortage of guns and military weapons in the states). It's not like electricity problems would affect guns, or even simple non-electric (older) combustion engines in general.
Owning a gun was a killable offence IIRC.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #34
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

I watched the pilot--not great. I'll give it one more go if someone can explain to me why guns still work but cars don't.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:26 AM   #35
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Flames_Fan View Post
I watched the pilot--not great. I'll give it one more go if someone can explain to me why guns still work but cars don't.
Try taking the battery out of your car?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2012, 01:39 AM   #36
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Flames_Fan View Post
well.. umm.. that's actually one thing that does make sense so far
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:29 AM   #37
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post

Well, fair point--I guess I'm thinking that if gunpowder combusts, so should fossil fuels. In theory, you should at least have the capability of steam power then?

I don't know. I'm not particularly expert in scientific matters... I pretty much trust that there are people called "scientists" who know this stuff so that I can go about my business in blissful ignorance.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:41 AM   #38
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
what about kickstart motorcycles?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #39
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Put me in the camp that thinks it is a persistent blanket effect EMP, similar to the satellites in Escape from LA. The pendants, when activates, provide a limited shielding that allows the impacted devices to function.

I am going to bet that somewhere in the dead fathers house is a similar setup to what the lady had at the end.

This tech, is of course what the Militia is after.

As for the tattoo on the arm, it is clear that there was some type of secret org within the army, that was either responsible for, or capitalized on the 'EMP event' to seize some power, which is how he used it to gain access to the base afterwards, and why Monroe kept it secret from his friend.

The whole ignoring physics part of te planes falling, arrows and bullets knocking people several feet is what bugs me. I could see how that is physics really did go crazy, that these things might be a result of that, and it is really the only explanation that I wouldn't find totally idiotic.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #40
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Put me in the camp that thinks it is a persistent blanket effect EMP, similar to the satellites in Escape from LA. The pendants, when activates, provide a limited shielding that allows the impacted devices to function.

I am going to bet that somewhere in the dead fathers house is a similar setup to what the lady had at the end.

This tech, is of course what the Militia is after.

As for the tattoo on the arm, it is clear that there was some type of secret org within the army, that was either responsible for, or capitalized on the 'EMP event' to seize some power, which is how he used it to gain access to the base afterwards, and why Monroe kept it secret from his friend.

The whole ignoring physics part of te planes falling, arrows and bullets knocking people several feet is what bugs me. I could see how that is physics really did go crazy, that these things might be a result of that, and it is really the only explanation that I wouldn't find totally idiotic.
At this point I am willing to accept the general's tattoo was just a statement of himself, not a secret mov't in the army. People get all sorts of tattoos. I knew a fella and his last name was Reaper, he had a large grime reaper on his back and lyrics to don't fear the reaper.

I echo the earlier comments about being clean. These people are living hard. It is washing isn't a case of turning a tap on, it has to be planned. They are all far too clean for my liking.

PS: the main chick is hot

Quote: