Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #41
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

God Jesus, don't you dare boil those ribs. Please don't.

How I cook mine is I buy some Jack Daniel's woodchip smoke.

Loosely place a couple handfulls into tinfoil, lightly wrap and poke holes in it. Put these on your grill about 45 minutes before you place the meat on the grill. Heat it up to about 400 just on the one side where the foil wapper is placed. Leave the other side off.

Once the foil bag is lightly smoking, time to put the ribs on. I turn my grill to the minimum setting, only on one side. I put the meat on the side that is off. I lightly sprinkle it with jewish kosser salt.

I'd also like to add that IMO Kosher salt is the best seasoning...for anything on the grill. It brings out the flavor so much and I never really need to use any sauce for anything, just the salt.

I let the meat cook on low for about 2-3 hours. If I put sauce onit, I do it at about the 2/3 mark, otherwise if you put it on earlier it just burns. But with that Kosher salt, I don't really ever need any.

Then cover it in foil for a bit, then chow down.

Now I want ribs so bad.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #42
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
It wasn't a roast - it was ribs, lol. And they turned out amazing! Everyone loved them. I will be trying those again but next time I'm going to get some really really high quality ones. These weren't crap but they were just from the grocery store (side ribs) - I want actual St Louis Cut and I want to see if the SLC is better.

I can see how getting into the whole smoking meat thing is addicting. A little late in the season to get super interested but I definitely want to try my hand at it in the future.
Did I say roast? Ok ok so I was just ribbing you

Glad to hear everyone liked them.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #43
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Old's Place, Competition Ribs Article --- this is where I got my start:

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/sho...mpetition-Ribs

Since then I've made many ribs, and even taken courses from BBQ guys-- and now tend to do a charcoal cook instead of the Bradley Electric, but you could get away with using an oven. You can always refine your technique, and your rub etc etc., but I find this recipe gets you started and its very simple. Remember FTC matters. And remember your ribs will likely "stall" for a long time before done at the same temperature while the meat bastes in its own connective tissues while they melt away.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #44
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Going to do up some this weekend because of this thread! Awesome!
Old 10-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #45
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone feels like fighting the madding crowds, Save-On Foods has St Louis style ribs on for ridiculous cheap today. I got 1.4 kg for $3.00 at the Panorama location this afternoon. I don't know if that was a 'just for today at Panorama' price, or what, since the Panorama location just opened this morning. Also, they're already frozen, if that is a problem for anyone. Didn't bother me any so I grabbed a pack. It was the last one left. We passed people who easily had 10 pkgs in their carts, if not more.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #46
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Picked up a pack of beef ribs on my way home from the office today. Going to smoke them tomorrow in the rain and snow...
Old 10-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #47
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
If anyone feels like fighting the madding crowds, Save-On Foods has St Louis style ribs on for ridiculous cheap today. I got 1.4 kg for $3.00 at the Panorama location this afternoon. I don't know if that was a 'just for today at Panorama' price, or what, since the Panorama location just opened this morning. Also, they're already frozen, if that is a problem for anyone. Didn't bother me any so I grabbed a pack. It was the last one left. We passed people who easily had 10 pkgs in their carts, if not more.
You should have switched carts when they weren't looking
Old 10-26-2013, 09:21 PM   #48
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
You should have switched carts when they weren't looking
Yeah but then I'd have had to stand in the lineup that stretched halfway through the store. No thanks.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #49
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
Check out this recipe. It has completly ruined me from eating ribs in restaurants (except for Oklahoma Joe's in Kansas City, their ribs are perfect everytime).
Oklahoma Joe's is my favorite as well, so I'm embarrassed to ask this, but does anyone know whether TGIFridays or Hooters has less terrible ribs?

I'm living in Bogota without a proper kitchen at the moment, so I think those may be my only options. I really shouldn't have opened this thread.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:18 PM   #50
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

i'd just like to say I went out and bought 2 packs of ribs, all because of this thread.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq , oven , ribs , slow cook