Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:
Default Boss- Staring a Bad @ss Kelsey Grammer

I did do a quick search, but couldn’t find another thread, by all means closed this one if FATA. However, does anyone watch this show? I have watched the first 2 episodes, and it is unreal. Frasier Crane is a bad @ss mayor of Chicago, who beats people and does nearly anything to ensure his agenda gets pushed through, which he feels is best for the city as a whole. He also finds out at the very start of the first episode, he has dementia which will only worsen and could kill him in 3-5 years. Be warned though: there is no Niles, or sherry in this show.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1833285/

Quote:
The series follows Tom Kane, the mayor of Chicago, who has recently been diagnosed with a degenerative neurological disorder. Determined to remain in charge, Kane conceals the disease from everyone around him except his own physician, Dr Ella Harris. Those around Kane are too busy with their own lives to notice anything unusual. Kane's marriage to his wife Meredith is nothing more than one of convenience. Kane's closest advisors, Kitty O'Neill and Ezra Stone, begin to suspect something is wrong with the Mayor but respect him too much to ask any questions, while State Treasurer Ben Zajac is too busy cultivating his political ambitions to become the next Governor of Illinois to notice anything out of the ordinary. Kane's daughter, Emma, is the only one who suspects that something is wrong with her father. But does she know enough to uncover his secret and what will it mean for his political career?
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, I've been watching all the way up to Season 2, and so far it's pretty solid stuff. Sometimes the hallucination moments get in the way, but it's a very solid show. Frasier is pretty great in this.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wow, great timing for a thread.

I just watched the first episode.

Pretty much hooked.

Seems like it'll be very season 4 and 5 of the wire-esque.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just finished watching all the first/second season of this. One of the best shows on tv.
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very underrated show, Grammer is a great actor.

BTW and not that it matters much, but the show is called "Boss", not "The Boss"

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
kipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kipperfan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

looks pretty good. i think this will be my new late night show. Got to get the 1st season...
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Kelsey was on Conan last week. His hands were all orange from eating cheese popcorn in the green room.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't know he was in another show. I enjoyed his last one but it got cancelled rather quickly.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to start watching this. I've always been a fan if his work.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched the pilot. Not at all what I was expecting but wow was it a fantastic show. Very intense.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:34 AM   #10
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Just watched the pilot. Not at all what I was expecting but wow was it a fantastic show. Very intense.
I know! I tried making my thread title and OP fit the show to get more people to give it a chance, but people see Kelsey Grammer and don’t really think anything but… well Cheers and Frasier.
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:12 PM   #11
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavy View Post
people see Kelsey Grammer and don’t really think anything but… well Cheers and Frasier.
If you haven't yet, check out a movie called 15 Minutes (Robert DeNero, Edward Burns)

Grammer plays a total sleezeball anchorman and did a fantastic job of it.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:47 AM   #12
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if you punks are aware of this but Mario Van Peebles is a regular director of the show. Don't know about you but for me his intelligence stock just went up a frack load of notches.

Grammer is certainly pulling his weight on this show and what a performance from everybody. Episode 7 was FANTASTIC!
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #13
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just heard that Starz has cancelled Boss, which really sucks. Another great show down the drain.

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
kipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:50 PM   #14
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was late to the party, but I watched episode 2 and 3 of S2 and was really getting into it and now this. DAMN!!!

Brutal ratings. Sucks that smart shows like this don't reach a wider audience. Rubicon(one season) and Deadwood(three seasons) are other examples of shows that were under appreciated.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:17 AM   #15
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Kelsey was on Conan last week. His hands were all orange from eating cheese popcorn in the green room.
I realize I'm responding to a 2 month old post, but I remember this interview for that very same reason. At first I thought my TV was just playing tricks on me. I never heard his explanation though, must've came in halfway through.

Was it his whole hands that were orange? I just remember it being the inside of his index finger & the outside of his middle finger, looked like a really bad case of smoker's fingers. I just assumed he'd been doing some serious chain smoking these days.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #16
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I realize I'm responding to a 2 month old post, but I remember this interview for that very same reason. At first I thought my TV was just playing tricks on me. I never heard his explanation though, must've came in halfway through.

Was it his whole hands that were orange? I just remember it being the inside of his index finger & the outside of his middle finger, looked like a really bad case of smoker's fingers. I just assumed he'd been doing some serious chain smoking these days.
The explanation didn't come until another show after several people emailed Conan about it. You were right that it was just his index finger and middle fingers (and thumb) since he was using the claw technique of eating popcorn.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #17
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched the first episode last name and man is this show good. I was reluctant to get into this one due to the fact that it was cancelled prematurely, but what the hell, couldn't be worse than how Deadwood ended... (please)
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kelsey grammer , the boss