Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2021, 05:18 PM   #3941
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Maybe. But that black suited spider-man means there's only one true star. Emo-Peter Parker!
Over/Under on how many dance numbers in this film?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:39 PM   #3942
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm trying to be optimistic but this looks like a movie targeted at people who thought Spiderman 3 didn't have enough villains crammed into it.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:51 PM   #3943
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I kinda regret watching that trailer it shows a little too much.
I'm sure there will be some plot lines and twists in the movie not displayed in the trailer or the triple-spidey rumor mill. But I kinda hate trailers that try to tell a self contained story.

I want them to get me excited for the movie, not set expectations for what the story will be, I need something closer to two hours to enjoy the experience of a movie plot.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 01:02 PM   #3944
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

The MCU is really going all in on the multiverse eh?

Seems like alternate universes/timelines are going to be a focus for a lot of the movies/TV series.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 01:09 PM   #3945
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

Seems like alternate universes/timelines are going to be a focus for a lot of the movies/TV series.
I was already sick of that by the time Abrams Star Trek rolled around. Such a lazy narrative cop out.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 01:49 PM   #3946
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

It's a way to double down on the nostalgia. Re-canonize old popular super-hero movies, bring back old actors/characters, etc...
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 02:00 PM   #3947
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

It also allows them to rehash old villains/heroes without it feeling like they’re just redoing the same crap they’ve already done.

If Marvel tried to introduce a new goblin, doc ock, lizard etc, it would feel stale because we just saw them in movies not that long ago.

Bringing back the old ones works well to avoid that. Plus it’s fan service to the people who liked the originals.

DC is doing the same with Keaton Batman. Except he’s aged a lot so I’m not sure what the plan is there.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 02:13 PM   #3948
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
It also allows them to rehash old villains/heroes without it feeling like they’re just redoing the same crap they’ve already done.

If Marvel tried to introduce a new goblin, doc ock, lizard etc, it would feel stale because we just saw them in movies not that long ago.

Bringing back the old ones works well to avoid that. Plus it’s fan service to the people who liked the originals.

DC is doing the same with Keaton Batman. Except he’s aged a lot so I’m not sure what the plan is there.
Batman with a cane?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-18-2021, 02:14 PM   #3949
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's the vulture now.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2021, 02:17 PM   #3950
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post

At this point it just seems like the competing comic movie studies are doing things to one up eachother and get their first. Like some ever increasingly boring space race.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 02:17 PM   #3951
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you havent watched 'Hit Monkey' then get on it!

Old 11-21-2021, 09:57 PM   #3952
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
At this point it just seems like the competing comic movie studies are doing things to one up eachother and get their first. Like some ever increasingly boring space race.
So like that recent 2nd star wars movie. Can't even remember the name it was such garbage.
Old 11-21-2021, 11:56 PM   #3953
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally watched Shang-Chi.

I was pretty good I thought? I agree that the last 1/3rd got a little too reliant on CG stuff...started to feel a little overcooked to me.

That said, there were some pretty cool things, and I was pleasantly surprised with Simu Liu, who was pretty good in the role. Him and Akwafina were great together.

I think I mentioned this before, but really curious to see how Phase 4 does...Will people feel tapped out or not on super hero movies? Losing Chadwick Boseman was a major blow, as he was going to be the "Tony Stark" of this phase imo
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 07:54 PM   #3954
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just watched Shang-Chi too!

I enjoyed how it takes the MCU in a new direction but it was too ambitious trying to cram in an origin story, epic fantasy elements, and fit into the overall cinematic universe. It felt a bit like two different films, the first half as a kung-fu family drama origin story with fun fighting and the second as an epic Chinese fantasy adventure heavy on CGI. Both work well on their own but take time away from character development. I wish more time was spent fleshing out the main characters and family dynamic, including the villain who I thought was excellent and needed more screen time. Also the mid-film transition was really awkward especially the unnecessary Iron Man 3 ret-con. Awkwafina for example was well cast in the first half as a quippy audience surrogate but the writers didn't know what to do with her character for the rest of the movie. Overall this was a fun ride introducing a new part of the MCU but is overwhelming at times with some room for improvement. 8/10
Old 11-22-2021, 10:23 PM   #3955
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I just watched Shang-Chi too!

I enjoyed how it takes the MCU in a new direction but it was too ambitious trying to cram in an origin story, epic fantasy elements, and fit into the overall cinematic universe. It felt a bit like two different films, the first half as a kung-fu family drama origin story with fun fighting and the second as an epic Chinese fantasy adventure heavy on CGI. Both work well on their own but take time away from character development. I wish more time was spent fleshing out the main characters and family dynamic, including the villain who I thought was excellent and needed more screen time. Also the mid-film transition was really awkward especially the unnecessary Iron Man 3 ret-con. Awkwafina for example was well cast in the first half as a quippy audience surrogate but the writers didn't know what to do with her character for the rest of the movie. Overall this was a fun ride introducing a new part of the MCU but is overwhelming at times with some room for improvement. 8/10
yeah, that's a good assessment; the 1/3 rd really went in a direction that wasn't necessarily what I was expecting from the first 2/3s and the combination of the two felt a little forced to me?

the magic stuff was interesting, and it was cool to see Wong as this particular character seems to fit well with Dr.Strange, but not necessarily Black Panther/Captain Marvel.

Still, first movies are tough as they are trying to stuff in an origin story and then a typical 3 act structure. Overall, I'd score it a bit less than you...like a 7? I'd happier watch the continuation and hope that they have some interesting trajectory for the character.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:53 AM   #3956
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I watched the first hour of Shang Chi when it first came out on Disney+ and have had no desire to finish it.. not sure if it was just the style of the movie or just super hero burn out in general..

I'll give Eternals a whirl when it is free but I am not expecting much. Spider-Man has me excited though, but not much else past that..
Old 11-23-2021, 10:19 AM   #3957
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eternals had me interested in the whole overall premise, but the characters were all very, very boring. Lots of excellent dramatic posing.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:34 PM   #3958
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I watched the first hour of Shang Chi when it first came out on Disney+ and have had no desire to finish it.. not sure if it was just the style of the movie or just super hero burn out in general..

I'll give Eternals a whirl when it is free but I am not expecting much. Spider-Man has me excited though, but not much else past that..
If your at super hero burn out, I think you'll hate the Enternals. I give it a thumbs up as a worthy effort, but it tells a lot of story and drags quite a bit. Shang Chi roared through the first act by comparison, and Simu is a lot more charismatic than anyone in the Eternals other than Kamal who is only in half the movie.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:35 PM   #3959
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fighting in Shang Chi was awesome, I really liked the villain and his relationship with the hero, but the monster fight was dumb, the quippy sidekick was terrible, IMO, and holy smokes was there just endless exposition. So much exposition. They really could have used a lot more showing and a lot less telling. Overall a pretty forgettable movie.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:38 PM   #3960
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Awkwafina, who pulls off 4 classic Marvel roles at the same time: platonic love interest, reaction face giver, the "that just happened" side kick, and Hawkeye.