Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #121
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Blockbuster has filed for bankruptcy in the US, largely because of Netflix.
When there was no competition, Blockbuster was the biggest corporate a-hole in North America. It may have taken a long time, but it's nice to see them get their comeuppance.
WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #122
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Netflix advertises itself as a compliment to your cable service, not a replacement. Apple TV is somewhere in the middle of a compliment and a replacement to your cable. But the biggest difference between them is that Netflix is a subscription service and Apple TV (iTunes) is an al a carte service. I think you can use them together quiet nicely.

Netflix will be a good place for me to watch older movies and older TV shows. Apple TV is a good way to watch digital content that I already have and will allow me to purchase TV shows that I want to own. Plus the other Apple TV features are nice. Cable is good for new TV shows, sports and idly watching something (I suppose Netflix could work for this as well).

I almost wish that I didn't watch sports then I could drop cable and live off al a carte and Netflix streaming quite happily.
thanks to Discovery HD, National Geographic HD, and History Channel HD, i can probably never get rid of my cable. besides sports which is another big reason, i love browsing a week or two in advance on each of those stations and recording anything that looks interesting, which is a lot. and if i'm bored during the day i can flip on the TV and almost be guaranteed to have at least 1 good show on one of those 3 channels
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #123
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I *HAVE* dropped my cable.

- CFL games I can get on TSN
- NHL games I will get on Gamecentre Live
- NFL games are still a problem.... yes, I could sign onto the equivelant to GameCentre, but it would cost just as much as having cable. But I'm okay with watching whatever CTV and CityTV give me on my rabbit ears.

With iTunes + Zip, I've got more than enough to watch. I was hoping Netflix would give me one more avenue, but alas...
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #124
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can I get the same content on a Home Theatre PC running Itunes as I can with apple TV? Are the movies on there new releases?
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:57 PM   #125
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
Zip.ca does downloads?

When I'm talking about downloading an HD movie, I'm talking about torrenting a good quality 720p 5.1 mkv. They generally run about 4GB. Netflix HD is not on that level quality-wise, but for times when I don't think ahead of time to torrent a movie, it's great.

On my connection an HD movie buffers for maybe 5-10 seconds before I can watch it. iTunes streaming is comparable. Yeah, it downloads the file for you to watch later but you can start watching those almost immediately too.
I thought they did, but I guess not.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #126
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I thought they did, but I guess not.
They have been saying "coming soon" for the past year or two. I was expecting some kind of joint venture with Netflix (Zip handling the mail side, Netflix the streaming), but that was just a guess on my part. A wrong one at that.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #127
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
I *HAVE* dropped my cable.

- CFL games I can get on TSN
- NHL games I will get on Gamecentre Live
- NFL games are still a problem.... yes, I could sign onto the equivelant to GameCentre, but it would cost just as much as having cable. But I'm okay with watching whatever CTV and CityTV give me on my rabbit ears.

With iTunes + Zip, I've got more than enough to watch. I was hoping Netflix would give me one more avenue, but alas...
Do you live in Calgary? Because I thought Gamecentre Live blocked out regional games. Do you watch them on your computer or TV?
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:00 AM   #128
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

They do, so hopefully he doesn't live in the Flames local broadcast area
yads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:15 AM   #129
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
What is the benefit of a streaming service over a straight download service? Other than the wait time to download? Is it just the integration with Apple TV?
There are many movies that I wouldn't want to directly pay for nor would I want to store them. I guess you could just delete them after you watch, but if I pay for it I want to hold onto it. If I'm paying $8/month it's much more likely that I'd watch something like Riding Giants (surfing documentary), but I probably wouldn't buy it on it's own.

Blockbuster charged me $65 for guitar hero: 80's edition once. I returned it, they lost it, I got to buy it. I hope netflix brings it to it's damned knees. I feel sorry for those losing their jobs, but the company itself can screw right off.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #130
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I feel sorry for those losing their jobs, but the company itself can screw right off.
I just can't wrap my head around how they can watch their industry transforming every day and do nothing at all to adapt...

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #131
Prototype

Exp:

Watched Dr. Horrible's Sing A Long Blog last night with NPH... Absolutely amazing. Something I had always wanted to watch, but never was in the mood when seeing it on the shelf at Blockbuster, nor did I want to buy it on DVD.

I was so impressed I bought it off of iTunes within minutes of watching it. Would love to watch it again, and didn't want it to kill me with data plan if I wasn't around Wifi or anything of the sort.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:12 AM   #132
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Do you live in Calgary? Because I thought Gamecentre Live blocked out regional games. Do you watch them on your computer or TV?
I'm a fan of the Devils in the East, Flames in the West, and live in Ottawa.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #133
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

How is everyone liking it so far?

I haven't gotten much of a chance to use it because they ran out of Wii disc's. Hopefully it will get to me tonight or tomorrow. They did extent my free trial by week to make up for it. I am little concerned about the quality that the Wii can put out seeing as it's not even component.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:23 PM   #134
Crazy Bacon Legs
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Still no word on Xbox 360 huh? anyone heard anything? I'm not interested until they have that capability.

Has their selection improved at all since launch?
Crazy Bacon Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:30 PM   #135
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm mostly just bummed that none of the remote-controlled PC software supports Netflix yet. MCE, Boxee - no go.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:19 PM   #136
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm enjoying it so far. I have watched some random shows, some Little Britain, a strange documentary on a couple of guys that are stalkers of Tiffany, and some of Shortbus to see Sook Yin's boobies (a bit of a let down). And regarding Shortbus, I'm no prude, but it is very erotic (and homo-erotic) and contained way too much schlong. But I digress.

The best thing that I have watched so far is Wild China (just the first episode so far). It is a beautifully filmed documentary series in the typical BBC style. David Attenborough does not narrate this one, but it is still well worth it.

The movies start to stream after about 10 seconds of buffering on my PS3. I haven't had anything stutter or drop out on me. I did notice at one point the picture became a little pixellated briefly but quickly recovered. The PS3 blu-ray remote works really well, skipping ahead and back isn't bad either, even though it kind of does it in chunks as opposed to the usual "seeking" that you can do with a disc.

iPhone app works nicely, even when I tried it briefly on 3G. On wifi at home it is nice and clear and actually better than I had expected.

Best thing about it: being able to resume your show at the point where you left it, even on different devices. iPhone, PS3, PC, etc. all pick up where you left off, no matter what you were watching it on before.

The thing that I am warming up to: The selection. If you're looking for blockbusters, first-run, etc. movies, you're going to be disappointed. For older titles, British TV, documentaries, the occasional movie, etc. it is probably worth the $8 a month for me. For a while at least. By then I'm hoping that more distributors come on board because eventually I'll be looking for something fresh.

Tangent: NBC and Netflix just announced that next week they will be rolling out some more shows (Saturday Night Live among others). No specific mention of Canada, but I'm guessing that the distribution rights are different for Canada and that we'll be left out again. And then the Canadian distributors will whine and cry that they are losing money to piracy instead of actually letting people pay for their content on Netflix.

The thing that sucks: No queue. I want to be able to save a list of things that I want to watch. The US version has this, and I can't quite fathom why it wouldn't be available here.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #137
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

will the output quality (A/V) on the 360 be equivalent to that of the PS3?

When does xbox support kick in?
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:35 PM   #138
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

So far I'm liking it. I watched Season 1 of Paranormal State this weekend and am now onto season 2. Like many of mentioned, there aren't any blockbusters but there's plenty of shows that I'd be interested in watching but would never buy that will keep me going beyond the free month.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:43 PM   #139
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

While it does lack in content, there's still almost too much to watch. Maybe if I only had netflix, but netflix + cable is just silly. I'd love to watch the 3 or 4 seasons of mythbusters along with the several seasons of deadliest catch, but I just don't have time. I'm still keeping it just for those "can't sleep" moments.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:48 PM   #140
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

Put me in the waiting for 360 support to come out before starting the trial.
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote