Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-06-2019, 09:17 PM   #221
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Raiders have handled him pathetic. When they rescinded the suspension, After challenging the GM, what kind of message does that send to the group.

Raiders and AB deserve each other
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:41 PM   #222
wpgflamesfan
3 Wolves Short of 2 Millionth Post

Exp:

I think Mayock should probably get fired here. I'm not sure how you can sign an absolute crazy person then act all surprised when he acts crazy.
wpgflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:43 PM   #223
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgflamesfan View Post
I think Mayock should probably get fired here. I'm not sure how you can sign an absolute crazy person then act all surprised when he acts crazy.
Mayock is Gruden’s puppet and that’s who traded for AB. The smart play for the Raiders would have been to suspend AB, void his contract, and cut ties. They deserve the ongoing tire fire they’ve so carefully crafted.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:33 PM   #224
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Raiders have handled him pathetic. When they rescinded the suspension, After challenging the GM, what kind of message does that send to the group.

Raiders and AB deserve each other
He was never suspended so nothing was rescinded... suspension was media speculation. He was fined by the team.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:24 AM   #225
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now AB comes out and asks to be released on Instagram.

Looks like he failed to make the Raiders look like the villains and decided to just demand for what he wanted all along.
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:40 AM   #226
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

looks like the Raiders had some backbone after all.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1170327996210827265
https://twitter.com/user/status/1170328579349143553
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 07:44 AM   #227
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

AB is going to be the one that looks crazy here but I do think there is more behind the scenes here for sure.

As crazy as AB seems I’m not sure I really trust Mayock or Gruden (or any owners / management in the NFL for that matter).

Also seems crazy to think that in NFL contracts you can just “take away” $30M of guaranteed money for conduct detrimental to the team before a player even misses a regular season game.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 09-07-2019 at 07:47 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 07:52 AM   #228
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know about Mayock/Gruden, but this is what they bargained for. They traded for Antonio Brown, and they got Antonio Brown. The only thing surprising to me is just how quickly it all unraveled ... I thought it'd be at least a handful of games before he snaps.

Interesting to see what's next. I guess there isn't a team out there that is going to pay him even close to what he thinks he's worth ... meaning he'll probably rather retire than play for less.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:00 AM   #229
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could see Cleveland really going all in and adding Brown on a 1 year deal.

OBJ, Brown, Chubb, and Mayfield, might not work out but it’s be exciting to watch.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:38 AM   #230
The Hendog
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

AB is crazy but the Raiders might be a bigger mess. Who is in charge there?!? You would think Gruden given his contract and he seemed to have settled things down yesterday. If I am Gruden I am pissed today, sure he thought he had fixed things yesterday and time to move on and play football but nope!!! All just a power struggle between Gruden and Mayock? What a mess. If you are a player on that team how would you be feeling today? How could you possible being focusing on the season?
The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:03 AM   #231
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is anyone really gonna sign this guy now? His MO has become pretty clear, once the guaranteed money is gone he is gone. Is anyone offering him anything but a heavily incentive based contract with few guarantees? Whether it's CTE or CTDiva or whatever, this guy is without question profoundly disturbed and damaged as a person. I think he's not playing this year at least, and that he really might be done. We all joke about New England, but New England takes lazy players and slight malcontents. This guy is in another sport when it comes to issues. Don't see anyone taking him on after this. I still don't think Tomlin is a great coach in terms in scheming and adjustments, but obviously my opinion of him as a manager has gone up that he kept AB down (relatively speaking) for the most part.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:12 AM   #232
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hendog View Post
AB is crazy but the Raiders might be a bigger mess. Who is in charge there?!? You would think Gruden given his contract and he seemed to have settled things down yesterday. If I am Gruden I am pissed today, sure he thought he had fixed things yesterday and time to move on and play football but nope!!! All just a power struggle between Gruden and Mayock? What a mess. If you are a player on that team how would you be feeling today? How could you possible being focusing on the season?
There is no power struggle. Gruden has last say on everything. Mayock said as much the day he was hired. Davis, Mayock, Gruden all sat down and came to the conclusion they had to void the guarantees to protect themselves going forward and who could blame them given the way this guy is melting down?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:23 AM   #233
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder how Drew Rosenhaus is feeling right now. AB just cost him $1 million, and now he actually has to try and get AB another job after that happened. Must be psyched.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:24 AM   #234
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't blame the Raiders in all of this. All summer it's been personal drama that the guy brought upon himself (helmet, frostbite, missing team activities) and I don't think the Raiders did much wrong here. It was right for Mayock to pubicly give him an ultimatum ("either you're all-in or all-out" or something like that) a few weeks ago. It was right for Mayock to fine him for missing team activities because you just can't let that slip and set precedent in the locker room. And it was right for them to suspend him after getting into it with Mayock. You just can't sweep something like that under the rug.

I don't know how Raiders fans feel, but I wouldn't hold it against them if they now said "we tried everything, we were patient, we wanted to make this work - but enough is enough". Cut your losses (a 3rd and a 5th wasn't that much anyway and financially it seems they don't suffer consequences at all) and move on.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 09:35 AM   #235
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 3rd and 5th round picks are unfortunate but not the end of the world. You can't say the Raiders gave him preferential treatment. They treated him like any other player that missed training camp and caused issues. You can make the argument Brown is a player that needs special treatment and the Raiders mismanaged him but I would rather a team operate no-nonsense like the Patriots than what's gone on in Pittsburgh as lets not forget the Steelers never won anything with Brown and Bell on their roster and they may be better this season without those guys more united as a team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Wonder how Drew Rosenhaus is feeling right now. AB just cost him $1 million, and now he actually has to try and get AB another job after that happened. Must be psyched.
You have to imagine Rosenhaus is as frustrated as the Raiders are. I doubt he has a lot of control of this situation.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:42 AM   #236
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

He could always fire AB and tell him to get another agent, but obviously Drew isn't exactly a man of nobility. Ultimately the Raiders did what needed doing, it wasn't pretty but they got it right. Could also see some Ewing Theory just by letting the other guys in that locker room operate in peace now.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:55 AM   #237
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

There should be zero coming back from the helmet thing, for even very talented players.
Let alone compounding it by being in a fight with the GM where he (alledgedly)uses a racial slur.
Let alone compounding it with a crazy film noir that reads like some bizaro Nike commercial after saying he was going to get in line as a teammate earlier the same day.
Let alone all of this within a week, before you’ve taken a snap.Rosenhaus is powerless here, he acted as much after the Mayock thing.

Brown is all in on being selfish and if you tell him, even as the team paying him $30m in guaranteed money(not yet), that he has to give even an inch of that selfishness up to be a teammate, he does a half ass apology, but then goes and releases a YouTube video professionally created to double down on his selfishness 6h later.

It certainly raises the bar for Beckham and his eventual spat with the Browns.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 10:00 AM   #238
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

aaaaaaaaand he's gone.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1170365119215415299
Old 09-07-2019, 10:05 AM   #239
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Barnwell, but this is a funny read in hindsight.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...rs-raiders-won
Old 09-07-2019, 10:09 AM   #240
The Hendog
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Signs for the Pats and helps them destroy the Steelers tomorrow ?
The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote