Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-06-2020, 04:55 PM   #1
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default 60 Minutes

I don't post threads often, but felt this deserves it's own thread (mods please delete if not thread worthy).

Far too often this season we have seen a team that doesn't show up until late in games. Will this team be ready to play come playoff time, or will we see them coasting until it is too late in the series. This is a concern because it doesn't seem everyone is firing on all cylinders. The talent is there, but does this team even know how to play a full 60 minutes?

Wouldn't be surprised if this team fell out of the first round. If the work ethic isn't there now how will this team turn it on for a sustained period of time?

Anyone else share the same concern?
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:54 PM   #2
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that it's unreasonable to expect a team to dominate a whole game when all the teams in the league are so evenly matched.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2020, 05:58 PM   #3
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I think that it's unreasonable to expect a team to dominate a whole game when all the teams in the league are so evenly matched.
This is what I was going to say. The game will always have it's ebbs and flows, all we can really hope is we dominate longer than they dominate.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2020, 06:08 PM   #4
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I would go as far to say this year i simply don’t like our style of play. Playing comeback in games is going to bite us in the butt. Last game CBJ missed like half of their top two lines due to injury and man we struggled most of the game. Jekyl and Hyde team cause we play the top teams and we show up and compete high level. Ughhh
getoverit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:10 PM   #5
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Home team coach: we have to outwork the other team!
Visiting team coach: we have to outwork the other team!
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:11 PM   #6
scobel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I thought this thread was about the tv show 60 minutes!! As for the flames keeping the momentum for the full 60minutes of the game, it is all about how you handle momentum changes and if you can have more positive momentum then negative that is key.
scobel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scobel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2020, 06:20 PM   #7
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post

I get that. If this team doesn't know how to put in consistent 60 minutes efforts, how will they turn it on when it matters; Especially if everyone is inconsistent? Look what happened last season's playoffs; The team wasn't ready, couldn't get everyone playing together when the going got tough. Do you feel it is unreasonable to ask the team to start putting in better, more complete efforts before the playoffs?
Old 03-06-2020, 06:38 PM   #8
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
I get that. If this team doesn't know how to put in consistent 60 minutes efforts, how will they turn it on when it matters; Especially if everyone is inconsistent? Look what happened last season's playoffs; The team wasn't ready, couldn't get everyone playing together when the going got tough. Do you feel it is unreasonable to ask the team to start putting in better, more complete efforts before the playoffs?
No.

The players should expect and demand it of each other.

All about mental and emotional preparation ,as well as knowing how to park negative energy and reset during games.

Whatever you’re telling yourself, you’re probably right.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:51 PM   #9
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing is, just because you don’t see results doesn’t mean the effort isn’t there. That said, the players are human. No one plays perfectly or even gives a perfect effort. And this can be and flow from game to game, and from year to year (I remember the year Ovie seemed like he’d lost the will to play),
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 06:52 PM   #10
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

I think a lot of people misconstrue getting outplayed/beaten by a better team....for lack of effort. They just arent the same thing.

Every team in the league has good players. They are all paid to play their best, but even the best that ever performed in this league have off nights. Often when your best guys are having a bad night, so does the rest of the team....its why the best teams often lose 25-30 games a season.

That doesnt mean the losing squad was giving a lack of effort (those games are obvious but rare) it just means the other team is executing better on that particular night.
Old 03-06-2020, 07:14 PM   #11
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

The players talked last season; They said that by finishing first in the standings they didn't have anything to fight for and were not ready for the Avalanche. I would argue they don't seem to be any more prepared this season than they were last season when we are still getting inconsistent efforts through 3 periods.
Old 03-06-2020, 11:08 PM   #12
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

What team is consistent?
Old 03-07-2020, 05:22 AM   #13
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
What team is consistent?
I’m sure some posters will have some teams they say are consistent, like, say, Boston. But then go on their fan sites and see what they say. Especially after losing to Detroit a couple times.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote