Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-28-2020, 03:01 PM   #1
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:
Icon48 Addictions and Mental Health in the NHL

After seeing Bobby Ryan get a hattrick last night, in his first game since November 2019 and submitting himself to the NHLPA Assistance Program for alcoholism, I felt compelled to write something on the recent wave of players coming to light with their addictions or struggles with mental health.

If you haven't seen his post-game interview I'll link it here, but man as emotional as it is to hear him talk about it you have to feel so proud for the guy and the emotional effort he's had to put in to get better.

This also comes after we saw Robin Lehner talk about his struggles with alcohol and the demon's he battled when he even thought about taking his own life at some point. Also, with Nate Thompson speaking in an interview on his troubles when he started drinking at 16, going to practice messed up sometimes, and the trouble it had with his wife and kids.

I'm glad we are at a place this day in age where people like Brian McGrattan, Bobby Ryan, Robin Lehner, and Nate Thompson can openly talk about their struggles and find the help they need before things take a turn for the worse.

I know it's also easy to separate ourselves from guys like these and rip on them for having slumps and bad games. But at the end of the day, we are all human and we have to be aware of the things we say about these guys who are forced into the spotlight at a young age and many are struggling with their own demons.

Last edited by Mattman; 02-28-2020 at 03:19 PM.
Mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Mattman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 03:13 PM   #2
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Makes me really proud that the Flames were only the 2nd team to have someone like McGrattan in the player assistance / liaison sort of role.

I'm sure it's still a very uncommon role around the league but will obviously become more prominent.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2020, 03:16 PM   #3
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

More and more is asked of these athletes as the sport advances. The stress levels must be massive.

Great to see guys bounce back from these struggles, and good for the Flames for having Grats mentor and help players as needed.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote