Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2019, 08:27 PM   #21
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is amazing that he has Fox at 12 and Kylington isn't in the top 50. They were a coin toss before the season started IMO (I have always preferred Kylington, but reasonable arguments can be made either way).

But the fact that Kylington is looking great in the NHL this season kind of tips the scales in his favour IMO.

But whatever.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 09:02 PM   #22
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
If they are considering trading Hamilton because of Fox, they are flat out idiots.

If Fox EVER becomes Hamilton, it will be a homerun. He is just as likely to never make it as an NHL regular.
Idiots huh?

Well if you believe as Button does that he is the 4th best defenseman prospect, you’d have to believe he is close to NHL ready. They are a budget team and could move Hamilton for forward help knowing they are already strong on the blueline and have a premium prospect on the way. After all, Hamilton is what 4th or 5th in ice time among their D?

They’re simply trying to deal from a position of strength. Your insult seems a little strong IMO, or maybe it was basically directed towards me for suggesting it.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 09:10 PM   #23
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Idiots huh?

Well if you believe as Button does that he is the 4th best defenseman prospect, you’d have to believe he is close to NHL ready. They are a budget team and could move Hamilton for forward help knowing they are already strong on the blueline and have a premium prospect on the way. After all, Hamilton is what 4th or 5th in ice time among their D?

They’re simply trying to deal from a position of strength. Your insult seems a little strong IMO, or maybe it was basically directed towards me for suggesting it.
Directed at you? Um, no.

Dealing Hamilton from a position of strength (because they have 4 RH Dmen) is one thing. But trading Hamilton because they have a prospect in the NCAA is something else altogether.

If they trade Hamilton, it is because they are disillusioned with Hamilton, not because of a prospect (unless, of course, they are idiots)
Old 01-15-2019, 09:16 PM   #24
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am surprised that Kylington didn't rank.

I have to admit, I was not that high on him until after getting an extended viewing of him this season. For sure there are some kinks to work out in his game, but his skill is undeniable. And he is a lot stronger than I thought he was.

He has come a long way from when he was drafted and seems to have taken his development seriously.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:16 PM   #25
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Directed at you? Um, no.

Dealing Hamilton from a position of strength (because they have 4 RH Dmen) is one thing. But trading Hamilton because they have a prospect in the NCAA is something else altogether.

If they trade Hamilton, it is because they are disillusioned with Hamilton, not because of a prospect (unless, of course, they are idiots)
There would be a number of factors behind a possible trade of Hamilton, not just one.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:18 PM   #26
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Directed at you? Um, no.

Dealing from a position of strength involves having what you believe to be NHL-ready or NHL-close prospects in that position. It doesn't make them idiots, it makes them an NHL team trying to fill holes.

It's all conjecture, but maybe they're reasonably sure they can sign Fox. But they definitely have holes up front, and with the strong possibility of having to trade Ferland, dealing one of their blueliners is logical. Having good prospects coming up only makes that easier.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2019, 09:19 PM   #27
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I am surprised that Kylington didn't rank.

I have to admit, I was not that high on him until after getting an extended viewing of him this season. For sure there are some kinks to work out in his game, but his skill is undeniable. And he is a lot stronger than I thought he was.

He has come a long way from when he was drafted and seems to have taken his development seriously.
I believe Kylington’s stock has risen rapidly based on his play with the big club this year. He has proven he can play at an NHL level, which was not the case at the start of the year.

I still like Dube as a prospect a lot, and he is younger, but he has yet to prove that IMO.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:19 PM   #28
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Valimaki? Is he considered an NHLEr?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2019, 09:31 PM   #29
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Dealing from a position of strength involves having what you believe to be NHL-ready or NHL-close prospects in that position. It doesn't make them idiots, it makes them an NHL team trying to fill holes.

It's all conjecture, but maybe they're reasonably sure they can sign Fox. But they definitely have holes up front, and with the strong possibility of having to trade Ferland, dealing one of their blueliners is logical. Having good prospects coming up only makes that easier.
Not on D. Not unless you are rebuilding anyway. But you don't replace a Hamilton with a prospect. Not until that prospect graduates to the NHL and proves he can replace the incumbent. Assuming they will is how you remain a crappy franchise.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:32 PM   #30
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Valimaki? Is he considered an NHLEr?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, Valimaki is better than both of them. And has already demonstrated that he can play a regular shift in the NHL at 20.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:34 PM   #31
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am trying to see the upside in Kylington. I see a nose for jumping in offensively, good wheels, but I see showboat and mistakes too
Old 01-15-2019, 09:40 PM   #32
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyBilko View Post
Very NICE to see two Russians at the top of the list both of them are gonna become big stars

Nice to see a local boy @ #3 as well
Well if it's one thing Button knows it is Russian prospects. Remember who he got for Marc Savard?
Old 01-15-2019, 09:45 PM   #33
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Kylington has really established himself as a defenseman that can play in the NHL, so I don't get why he's listed so low.

With Bouchard, his skating and his own zone awareness are what's going to hurt him going forward. He has nice offensive instincts, but right now that and a nickle still won't get me a cup of coffee.

He right now is a pretty incomplete prospect and in an NHL that emphasizes skating he has some pretty big physical problems with his game.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:46 PM   #34
TheOnlyBilko
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Well if it's one thing Button knows it is Russian prospects. Remember who he got for Marc Savard?

Well its kinda common knowledge Kravtsov & Denisenko are top prospects not exactly a secret, but ya I don't really take what Button says as truth either. No Jake Bean on his list??

Edit also no Klim Kostin on the list???

Last edited by TheOnlyBilko; 01-15-2019 at 10:17 PM.
TheOnlyBilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:18 PM   #35
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not on D. Not unless you are rebuilding anyway. But you don't replace a Hamilton with a prospect. Not until that prospect graduates to the NHL and proves he can replace the incumbent. Assuming they will is how you remain a crappy franchise.
Obviously trading Hamilton makes them weaker on D but having a top prospect makes it easier to swallow longer term. If they trade Hamilton it's to get stronger up front. It's pretty obvious they're not making a Cup run this year.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:57 AM   #36
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe it's a sign of the times in that top young players are bypassing the AHL/junior straight to the NHL but I find that top 50 list a little underwhelming. There are some good looking players but not a lot of guys to salivate over.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:30 AM   #37
Haplo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Colorado are gonna be scary with Makar and Ottawas lottery pick added to that team.
Haplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:35 AM   #38
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Obviously trading Hamilton makes them weaker on D but having a top prospect makes it easier to swallow longer term. If they trade Hamilton it's to get stronger up front. It's pretty obvious they're not making a Cup run this year.
I see what you’re saying, but Enoch is right.

There’s basically no excuse to trading a young defenceman you paid a premium for because you have a prospect that might replace him in 4-5 years (if everything goes well).

So you trade him for a forward to improve the offence... what do you then plan to do for the handful of years you’re waiting for Fox to get to that level? Sit on your hands?

How many successful teams trade away young top 4 D years before a prospect is ready to take the reigns? I’d wager none, and go even as far to say it’d Be hard to find an example of that working.

You trade players when they’ve been replaced by your prospects. Not when they might be in a few years.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:01 AM   #39
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I see what you’re saying, but Enoch is right.

There’s basically no excuse to trading a young defenceman you paid a premium for because you have a prospect that might replace him in 4-5 years (if everything goes well).

So you trade him for a forward to improve the offence... what do you then plan to do for the handful of years you’re waiting for Fox to get to that level? Sit on your hands?

How many successful teams trade away young top 4 D years before a prospect is ready to take the reigns? I’d wager none, and go even as far to say it’d Be hard to find an example of that working.

You trade players when they’ve been replaced by your prospects. Not when they might be in a few years.
Adam Fox is turning 21 in a month. He is not 4 or 5 years away. As I said, there would be several reasons for trading Hamilton but being strong on defense already with an older top prospect on the way makes it easier. This assumes you buy into Button’s rating and I can’t say I’ve seen Fox play this season.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:22 AM   #40
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Adam Fox is turning 21 in a month. He is not 4 or 5 years away. As I said, there would be several reasons for trading Hamilton but being strong on defense already with an older top prospect on the way makes it easier. This assumes you buy into Button’s rating and I can’t say I’ve seen Fox play this season.
4 to 5 away from getting to where Dougie is today, if he gets close.

He can still go back for a year of Harvard, and even if he doesn’t, the likelihood would be that he spends a couple years as an AHL or bottom pairing guy. Not many defencemen jump into the NHL from any league outside of the AHL, and even fewer quickly become top 3/4 guys.

Go ahead and count the ones who have. Even the guys coming out of Uni, maybe the most recent being McAvoy? He was a first round pick and managed to do it after two years of Uni, but he’s closer to the exception than the rule. Have the reasons that led to Fox being drafted nearly 40 spots later really changed that much?
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: