Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2019, 03:04 PM   #41
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

IMO, if the cap situation allows it, we should try and sign both players. I would rate Brodie above Hamonic.
flamesfever is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flamesfever For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 03:09 PM   #42
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Brodie once again getting really underrated on this boards. If anyone thinks any of the 3 rookies are even close to replacing Brodie i dont think they are watching Brodies games. He is playing elite and it takes credit away from him when people say he is a product of Gio. Do people even watch games or do they just think Brodie doing good with Gio automatically equals he is being carried? Hamonic is so unique himself and we dont have any top 4 right handed dmen like him and he is so important to us. I honestly dont know which one i would want to keep. I feel like Brodies better but without Hamonic we would be short on right hand shots. I would just keep them both for both seasons and lose one for free. We are a contending team now we dont just trade stud dmen for futures. Unless one of the youngsters absolutely demolishes in the 2nd half dont trade any of them. They are doing fine in sheltered roles for rookies but i think its dumb to think they can replace Brodie or Hamonic.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to flamesforcup For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 03:10 PM   #43
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Is Brodie a true top pairing defenseman? Last couple of seasons he looked bad. Yes, the Gulutzan effect and playing on the left side, but I would think a true top pairing defenseman would overcome that. Anything over $6 million and I think Flames fans will be regretting it.
He absolutely is. His skating and stick work is amazing. Why would a top 2 dman settle for 6 million? He is easily worth 7 i think on the UFA market and he deserves it after giving us a discount. Same with Hamonic. People are really underrating these guys.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesforcup For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #44
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Out of thanks, but... exactly ^

(post #42)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 03:12 PM   #45
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Surprised people are actually suggesting to trade Brodie mid season.

That seems insane to me.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJones For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 03:27 PM   #46
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
Surprised people are actually suggesting to trade Brodie mid season.

That seems insane to me.
That's not what anyone is suggesting.
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LWcrowfoot For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 03:32 PM   #47
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be silly to walk away from Brodie at 31 unless he's had a run of knee injuries/concussions. Defensemen routinely play effective minutes into their mid-late 30s. He's going to be better at 30 than he is today.

They just shouldn't use him on the powerplay.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #48
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

With where the game is going Brodie is the type of player you try to keep. If I'm going to pay a guy over 30 it better be a guy who can skate.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 03:59 PM   #49
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Seriously asking: What are some other examples of contenders trading one of their best 3 defence men in their contending window? Is this common?
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 04:13 PM   #50
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Seriously asking: What are some other examples of contenders trading one of their best 3 defence men in their contending window? Is this common?
The Hawks traded then 30 year old Brian Campbell after winning the cup a season prior due to cap problems. Dustin Byfuglien the year before that. They then won two more cups. The Bruins had just come off winning the Presidents trophy as the league's top team 2013-2014 when they had to trade Boychuk to the Islanders in the summer because of cap constraints.

Top teams have to identify their core players and fill in the gaps each year, make tough choices because that cap causes a squeeze no matter what.

Obviously Rasmus, Valimaki and Kylington aren't going to replace Brodie or Hamonic's game next season but you take the hit because that's the way game is. Maybe the blueline suffers somewhat, or maybe 22 Hanifin steps up as well.
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LWcrowfoot For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 04:39 PM   #51
Abatedmean
Backup Goalie

Exp:

For everyone looking into the future and raising the question of the expansion draft, is there any chance one or both of them are signed to a one year deal? So that in the draft they could still lose them but then sign them in UFA?
Abatedmean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 04:47 PM   #52
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Both are very good players still but the flames are going to need to move a defenceman before the expansion draft for sure. Also for me the young guys have looked better than the Flames may be giving them credit for... hearing that they are prioritizing a LHD on the trade market is a bit odd to me when you have Kylington playing very well from my perspective and Valimaki looked solid before his injury as well.

^ and yeah that is a decent strategy, that was going to be the play before the NHL moved back expansion a year I believe. Just question if they will want to sign 1 year deals and if it will look like obvious circumvention if both do.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:08 PM   #53
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is why the performance of Andersson, Valimaki and Kylington have been so important this season. They've all received respectful minutes considering they are rookies and it's allowing the coaching staff and Treliving to really evaluate their readiness to prepare (very unfortunate that Valimaki has been out for so long, but it has given a chance for the Flames to evaluate Kylington in his absence). Losing Brodie and / or Hamonic will no doubt hurt, but if the three rookies continue to develop (along with Hanifin), the Flames will be more likely to move one of them when the time comes.

I'd agree that you can't move either guy out at the trade deadline next year though, assuming the Flames will be gunning for the playoffs again. The only way that happens is if Andersson moves up the lineup for more than a period or two and not as a result of injury, and he holds his own.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:31 PM   #54
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abatedmean View Post
For everyone looking into the future and raising the question of the expansion draft, is there any chance one or both of them are signed to a one year deal? So that in the draft they could still lose them but then sign them in UFA?
That is not how it works.

If the expansion team signs a UFA—all UFAs are unprotected—it counts as an expansion selection from the prior rights-holding team. The only way Seattle can “claim” one of the UFAs is to sign one—or both, and that would exempt the Flames from losing an unprotected player that is under contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:34 PM   #55
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Both are very good players still but the flames are going to need to move a defenceman before the expansion draft for sure. Also for me the young guys have looked better than the Flames may be giving them credit for... hearing that they are prioritizing a LHD on the trade market is a bit odd to me when you have Kylington playing very well from my perspective and Valimaki looked solid before his injury as well...
The reason the Flames would add a defenseman now is for insurance. A team needs at least nine NHL defensemen to survive four rounds in the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:43 PM   #56
simonsays
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
If the expansion team signs a UFA—all UFAs are unprotected—it counts as an expansion selection from the prior rights-holding team.

And the only reason we didn't lose anyone to the Vegas draft is that they specifically wanted Engelland because he lives there in the off season. There may be trades that get you around the expansion tax, but when Vegas came into the league most GMs didn't try to evade it.

I think the ideal way to move forward is to keep both unless someone offers the moon. Besides, until we know how the next labour dispute works out we don't have any idea when Seattle will even join the fray.
simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:59 PM   #57
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
IMO, if the cap situation allows it, we should try and sign both players. I would rate Brodie above Hamonic.
I don't think most people talk about Brodie because he's worse than Hamonic - I think it's because Brodie's skills are more similar to others on the team - Hanifin, Kylington. Whereas, Hamonic is kind of alone in his skill set (well, aside from Gio).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:04 PM   #58
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don't think most people talk about Brodie because he's worse than Hamonic - I think it's because Brodie's skills are more similar to others on the team - Hanifin, Kylington. Whereas, Hamonic is kind of alone in his skill set (well, aside from Gio).
Problem is those guys play the left side. After Brodie, Hamonic and Andersson, the right side is Stone and ....

And Stone will be gone after next season at the latest. Who's next on the depth chart after him? There is nothing there.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:43 PM   #59
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Problem is those guys play the left side. After Brodie, Hamonic and Andersson, the right side is Stone and ....

And Stone will be gone after next season at the latest. Who's next on the depth chart after him? There is nothing there.
I don't want to trade either guy, frankly. But that's a fair point. However, we are likely talking bottom pairing at that point.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:18 PM   #60
JohnnyHockey
Backup Goalie

Exp:

A year ago you all would have given your first borns to see Brodie traded for a first rounder. Now so many people are saying he's a core piece that should be untouchable. Funny what a season with Gio will do to a player.
JohnnyHockey is offline   Reply With Quote