Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2019, 10:20 AM   #1
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default What to do with Brodie and Hamonic this off-season?

Both Brodie and Hamonic will be one year away from being a UFA and both will be 30 when they do become a UFA before the 2020-21 season.

Is there any chance both are back for the 2020-21 season?

I think Treliving needs to talk to both of them in the off-season and if they are not willing to sign reasonable contract extensions then they need to trade one of them. Personally I don't think either one deserves a significant raise over what they are making right now.

Brodie at $5.5m/yr for 5 years and Hamonic at $5m/yr for 5 years would be the max I would offer either one of them. Ideally the Flames get both of these players signed to contracts like above, because there is an expansion draft coming up and almost certainly they will lose a defenseman.

Brodie has improved a lot this season but I credit Giordano for a lot of that. The Flames need to avoid giving him a Seabrook type of contract. With his improve play his value has got to a point where they should be able to get a decent asset in return, even with his 8 team no trade list. I'm not convince Andersson is ready to replace him but I rather try that than lose Brodie for nothing in a couple of seasons.

Hamonic is more likely to get re-signed, because he wants to play in western Canada and besides Giordano, he's the only defenseman that plays with some jam.

If the Flames do decide to get value for Hamonic or Brodie this off-season then I see Stone remaining on the roster (assuming he is healthy enough to play). Right now after Brodie, Hamonic, Andersson and Stone they don't have any up and coming prospects that can play RD.

If Valamaki, Hanifin or Kylington can move to the right side it would help a lot.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 10:35 AM   #2
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It probably really depends on how confident management is in one of Valimaki, Andersson or Kylington stepping into a top 4 role for next season. Either guy would leave big shoes to fill.

I'm hoping confidence is high for the young guys to step up. I really don't want to see top 4 or top pairing dmen walk away for nothing. I'd rather see them bring in futures without missing a beat on the ice.

Asset recycling, if you will.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:37 AM   #3
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Have to keep at least one of them. I'd keep both but depends on the contract.

Brodie has two subpar years dragging his value down but I really don't have a good read on his value.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:37 AM   #4
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

It probably makes sense to trade one of them. Not sure which. Probably Brodie as his value will be very high (Gio effect?). I think Andersson can step into a top four role.

If you trade the first at the deadline, that could be a way to recoup a first prior to the draft.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:43 AM   #5
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the expansion draft looming, Flames probably lose one of them if they are extended. Unless Seattle takes Kylington over them, which I can't see them doing. Or I guess Flames expose Gio, which would mean Gio is probably gone after next season.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #6
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zero way the Flames expose their captain, even if he magically turns into Chris Butler after next season
Old 01-12-2019, 10:47 AM   #7
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Zero way the Flames expose their captain, even if he magically turns into Chris Butler after next season
Oh, I agree. Which probably means there is a chance Brodie is traded. Hamonic isn't extended, and we try re-signing him when he is UFA. Flames protect Hanifin, Gio, Andersson, and Valimaki. We lose one of Kylington or Bennett to Seattle.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:47 AM   #8
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wouldn’t be so certain about that.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #9
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let them have their days with the Cup like everyone else.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:49 AM   #10
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

They will re-sign Hamonic. Flames don't have a player like him in the system. Unless of course he asks for the moon.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 10:49 AM   #11
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hanifin's cap is $4.95 and most fans are very happy with that. Yet Brodie isn't worth more than $5.5M?

Brodie is a top pairing defenseman that is entering his UFA years. If we can lock him up between $5.5 and 6M, I would be all over that. If he signs something in the 6s, I would be happy with that.

I don't think the Flames can go any higher than that though. If he is looking for a 7 handle, I think you have to move on and hope that the kids can fill the void
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 10:50 AM   #12
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having both of these guys around with the depth on D makes dealing our 1st at the deadline for a long term piece (not a rental) all the more appealing IMO.

Could easily flip Brodie or Hamonic at the draft for a package that includes a mid to late 1st round rounder probably. At the same time you'd be clearing some cap space to extend whoever it was you traded for, like Duchene or Stone for example.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:54 AM   #13
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Trade Brodie while his value is high for more fire power upfront.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:10 AM   #14
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the Flames should trade Brodie for picks/prospects at the draft. We need the cap room and could definitely use the assets. It allows the Flames to move their 1st at the deadline for a big push. Gio has built Brodie’s rep back up to a solid #2 and I think could lend the Flames a pick in the 10-20 range and possibly a 2nd?

Hamonic is a guy we re-sign hopefully to a 4 year deal in the 4-5M range. Brodie likely pushes for 6-7M on his next deal.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 11:13 AM   #15
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Oh, I agree. Which probably means there is a chance Brodie is traded. Hamonic isn't extended, and we try re-signing him when he is UFA. Flames protect Hanifin, Gio, Andersson, and Valimaki. We lose one of Kylington or Bennett to Seattle.
That's only if they protect 4D, and if they protect 4D, they're only going to
be able to protect 4F. Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Lindholm. We lose one of Backlund/Jankowski/Kylington.

7F/3D You'd be looking at 13/23/19/28/11/77/? + 5/55/8.

It's going to suck to lose either Kylington or Andersson, but we can only lose one, and it's harder to replace centres than defensemen. And I don't want the team to have put all this time into Mark Jankowski only to lose him to Seattle just when he becomes who we thought he'd be ten years earlier.

It also may be worth extending Brodie just for Seattle to take him anyway. If you can get a 30-31 year old Brodie for 5 years at $6M, as a new franchise that's more valuable than Andersson/Kylington. Neither are as good as Brodie yet.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 11:15 AM   #16
clancy
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Pair a dman with Gio to drive up his value and trade him in the offseason.
Worked with Hamilton, and could see the same scenario with Brodie this summer.
clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:18 AM   #17
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good teams don't trade good players for futures, even pending UFAs. I think the only options that make sense are keep them for a playoff run and try to re-sign them (but let them walk if they're too expensive), or trade them for help in a position where there's less depth (like a top 6 forward or a goalie).
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:23 AM   #18
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Good teams don't trade good players for futures, even pending UFAs. I think the only options that make sense are keep them for a playoff run and try to re-sign them (but let them walk if they're too expensive), or trade them for help in a position where there's less depth (like a top 6 forward or a goalie).
Or...

Trade our 1st + for a top six forward (with term or an extension) between now and the deadline.

Finish the season, however it plays out.

At the draft, trade Brodie or Hamonic for someone else's 1st round pick +, then replace Brodie or Hamonic from within.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2019, 11:29 AM   #19
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

keep ham, trade brodie
Phagoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:31 AM   #20
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

I don’t see the same sense of urgency to break something that is working.

Gio is obviously good with whomever he plays, but he is at his very best playing with Brodie. I don’t want a return to ‘propping up Hamilton 40 point’ Gio.

If the window for this team is the next 3-4 years, I would be very hesitant to remove core pieces. Especially as you stand to lose a good player in expansion
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post: