Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-07-2018, 09:58 AM   #1
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:
Default Rafting the Bow

I was thinking of floating the bow this week. It's been about ten years since I last floated down the bow river. Anybody gone recently? I'm looking for float times from Bowness Park to ??. Where should we get out that we can easily access a parked car.

Open to all suggestions, hoping to be on the river for about 2 hours or so.

Let's talk about rafting the bow

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:12 AM   #2
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's not the area you were planning, but we did Graves Bridge (by Deerfoot Meadows) to Fish Creek on the weekend. Ran us just a hair over two hours and had vehicle access to the water at both ends.

Decent float and not a huge amount of paddling needed. The last 500m or so needs a bunch of steering to stay off the rocks on the bank, but also close enough to get into the boat launch. Water was deep enough the whole way and not a lot of risk to puncture rafts.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2018, 10:13 AM   #3
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bowness to Prince's Island would be about 2 hours-3 hours. Depending on how much you raft and how fast the water is going.

I think St. Patrick's Island is one of the easiest for car access but that's probably getting closer to 2.5 hours-4 hours.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 08-07-2018 at 10:15 AM.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:16 AM   #4
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I live in Inglewood and regularly float from Shouldice Athletic Park to the rail bridge right before the weir. It is 2.5 - 3.5 hours depending on river flow. The other beauty of this is that I can Car2Go to that drop off point, as it is the further NW corner of the Zone.

If you haven't floated in a long time, be aware of the City of Calgary lifejacket By-Law. Its a $500 fine for not wearing it. I have also seen the Cops or Fire Dept. on the river every time I have floated this summer.
GomerPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:37 AM   #5
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I went yesterday from Baker Park (Across from Bowness Park) to Eau Claire and it took 3.5 hours
Old 08-07-2018, 10:41 AM   #6
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you plan to float from Bowness to Princes island (exiting by the curling club) let me know and I'll sign you in for our residential parking permit. Quick walk from there to my street.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2018, 10:43 AM   #7
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

In addition to life jackets being mandatory, you are also required to have a safety kit:

A bailing device to remove water from inside the watercraft. A hand-held bailer can be purchased or made by cutting the end of a bleach bottle.
A paddle or oar to help you control your craft.
A sound-signaling device to help with navigation, alerting others of your approach, or in case of emergency. This could be a portable air horn, whistle, mechanical whistle or bell.
A heaving rope or towing line (15 metres long) that floats to use for rescue or to pull your craft to safety.
Navigation or safety light to be used at night or in poor visibility.

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Fire/Page...fety#safetykit
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2018, 11:14 AM   #8
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, a well concealed device for booze. Let's here some ideas, people.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:20 AM   #9
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
If you plan to float from Bowness to Princes island (exiting by the curling club) let me know and I'll sign you in for our residential parking permit. Quick walk from there to my street.
But first stop by Timbertown and get some lumber. I’ve seen what you (surferguy) can do with a table and cutting boards. Let’s see what you can do on a raft.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2018, 11:36 AM   #10
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

That would be one heck of a good looking raft.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:03 PM   #11
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know if there is raft rentals in Banff or Canmore? Looking to float the bow from Banff to Canmore
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:46 AM   #12
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesKickAss View Post
Does anyone know if there is raft rentals in Banff or Canmore? Looking to float the bow from Banff to Canmore

I don't know if it is done often there - can be lots of hazards in the water (sweepers, log jams).

There are some guided fishing trips, but I don't know where they float.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/ban...e-canoeing/bow

Quote:
The Bow River is a dynamic watercourse, continuously undergoing change. Erosion by swiftly flowing water can result in new channels, sweepers, and logjams developing overnight, creating deadly hazards in previously harmless locations. Paddlers must be constantly aware of the potential for danger at every bend of the river. These rivers demand that paddlers have precise control and the skills to perform tight maneuvering. Paddlers must be prepared and able to carry out rescue efforts for their group. You are in a remote area and in the case of an accident there will be significant delay before park rescuers will be able to get to you.

Hazards tend to develop at tight bends in the river, where flow is constricted and the current is strongest. On the outside of the curves, trees become undercut and fall into the river forming sweepers and strainers. Every curve in this section of river has the potential to develop these dangerous sweepers and strainers. Approach each bend in the river with caution, and stay to the inside of the curve where the current is slowest.

Logjams are a very dangerous form of strainer. These develop when sweepers wash into the river, float downstream, and become caught on the upstream points of islands and gravel bars, and at the entrances to small channels. Logjams can become very large, creating long term river hazards. Canoes coming onto sweepers or logjams can quickly capsize. The force of the current then pushes the canoe and the paddlers into, and often under, the strainer. If you hit a strainer, make all effort to come out on top of the snags. If you capsize, be prepared to abandon your canoe and gear until you are safely out of the water.

The danger of all the river hazards is magnified as the volume of the water increases. The higher the water level, the more powerful the flow, and the more dangerous is every sweeper and strainer on the river. All hazards are most deadly during spring run-off.
http://www.tightlineadventures.com/l...ow-river2.html

Bow Falls to Canmore Distance/ Duration: 23 km/ 4 hours Difficulty: intermediate

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/ban...oeing/bow#sec3

Sounds like a difficult trip- not a leisurely float.

Last edited by troutman; 08-08-2018 at 10:05 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:53 AM   #13
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesKickAss View Post
PROTIP: Put in BELOW Bow Falls!
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2018, 10:19 AM   #14
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I don't know if it is done often there - can be lots of hazards in the water (sweepers, log jams).

There are some guided fishing trips, but I don't know where they float.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/ban...e-canoeing/bow

http://www.tightlineadventures.com/l...ow-river2.html

Bow Falls to Canmore Distance/ Duration: 23 km/ 4 hours Difficulty: intermediate

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/ban...oeing/bow#sec3

Sounds like a difficult trip- not a leisurely float.
It isn't too bad, we did it a few years ago.
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesKickAss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2018, 10:21 AM   #15
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've done it several times. It's much better in a canoe because you can manoeuvre. Unless you are getting a really tough raft I'd worry about punctures. There are lots of sweepers and hidden trees that you will drift into, and some very shallow sections at this time of year.

It is a bit of a workout in a canoe, particularly the second half as it winds a lot and you have to stay away from the banks. I wouldn't say it is difficult, but it shouldn't be your first canoe trip.

The plus side is that it isn't all that deep and is slower now, so if anything happens you should be fairly safe, but if your raft goes flat it's a long walk out!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2018, 07:44 AM   #16
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

We went on monday, dropped in at by Shouldice and floated to the dog park by Carburn Park and Southland Drive. It took about 6hrs and we portaged the piece by Harvie Passage.

Harvie would be an easy place to get out. There is a big parking lot by the fish hatchery with free parking and an offshoot stream from the bow with an unloading area where you can easily get out of your boat.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:53 AM   #17
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Was there any problems going by where they appear to be building a new bridge near Lynnview?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:15 PM   #18
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Was there any problems going by where they appear to be building a new bridge near Lynnview?
No, it was all pretty clear. There was a diversion around there and a clump of tree's that you need to be really careful of right before the train bridge. Beyond that it was good.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #19
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Make sure to carry airsoft guns to take out other rival rafters.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:45 PM   #20
Angelamc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post

Its a cofferdam for the construction of expansion thing at Bonnybrook.

http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/Water/Page...xpansions.aspx
Angelamc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Angelamc For This Useful Post: