Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2017, 01:52 PM   #501
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

haha, i'm old school. G15 Mouse & Keyboard
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:22 PM   #502
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
and a Razer Naga Hex V2 for WoW.
This one is interesting. I thought when I googled it, it was going to be the version that has the 12 buttons on the side. Had one of those for a while and felt there was just too many to select a specific one in an intense game. This one looks more manageable.

So continuing with peripherals, what speakers are you using? I have a really old Logitech 5.1 setup. Don't recall which exact model but two drivers on each speaker module. Insane sound out of these things but they are getting old and I'd like a newer setup with the module for controlling volume and such by itself and not on one of the speakers.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 11-30-2017 at 02:24 PM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:15 PM   #503
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I use an old Logitech G15 keyboard which still serves me well. I more recently bought a G500s mouse and hopefully it will last many more years than the G500 did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
So continuing with peripherals, what speakers are you using? I have a really old Logitech 5.1 setup. Don't recall which exact model but two drivers on each speaker module. Insane sound out of these things but they are getting old and I'd like a newer setup with the module for controlling volume and such by itself and not on one of the speakers.
I have a Logitech X-230 speaker set which I bought from Future Shop over a decade ago on Boxing Day, and they're still awesome. I'm banking on it lasting another decade at least.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2017, 10:23 PM   #504
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

The remaining parts came in today and everything came together nicely. Dealing with that Hyper 212 was nerve wracking though lol. Looking forward to taking this thing for a spin on the weekend.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:19 AM   #505
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a heads up to stay away from ordering from NCIX. They're at or near bankruptcy/restructuring.
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:10 AM   #506
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedOut View Post
Just a heads up to stay away from ordering from NCIX. They're at or near bankruptcy/restructuring.
Another company that ships late, and takes forever to deliver.

The only good thing NCIX did for me in the last 5 years was give me something to get a (rare) pricematch discount at MemEx with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:16 AM   #507
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
This one is interesting. I thought when I googled it, it was going to be the version that has the 12 buttons on the side. Had one of those for a while and felt there was just too many to select a specific one in an intense game. This one looks more manageable.
Yeah, I specifically bought the Hex V2 because the radial buttons looked like a much better option than the stupid grid. It only feels a bit insufficient (7 vs 12 buttons) on classes with insane amounts of spells like Rogues.

Using the Razer Synapse setup tool, I have the buttons mapped to my Numpad, and using Bartender I made a "visual" radial on screen so I have a quick keymap for each class I'm playing, so I remember what is mapped to it, like so:

Extremely good in both PvE and PvP.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2017, 02:50 PM   #508
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedOut View Post
They've filed and all retail stores have shut down.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:56 PM   #509
RinkRat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I specifically bought the Hex V2 because the radial buttons looked like a much better option than the stupid grid. It only feels a bit insufficient (7 vs 12 buttons) on classes with insane amounts of spells like Rogues.

I've been using a Naga Hex (now V2) since about 2011, always found it much more tolerable then my brothers standard Naga, and a quick ALT or CTRL modifier has always given me plenty of room for my play style in mmo's at least.
RinkRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:31 PM   #510
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Using the Razer Synapse setup tool, I have the buttons mapped to my Numpad, and using Bartender I made a "visual" radial on screen so I have a quick keymap for each class I'm playing, so I remember what is mapped to it, like so:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkRat View Post
I've been using a Naga Hex (now V2) since about 2011, always found it much more tolerable then my brothers standard Naga, and a quick ALT or CTRL modifier has always given me plenty of room for my play style in mmo's at least.
Wait, do you guys play with that mouse and a normal keyboard? How do you move your characters, WASD?

I started using a G13 when they first came out and I use it for everything. Thumb joystick to run around and rest of fingers for abilities as opposed to right thumb to click anything.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:39 PM   #511
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Wait, do you guys play with that mouse and a normal keyboard? How do you move your characters, WASD?

I started using a G13 when they first came out and I use it for everything. Thumb joystick to run around and rest of fingers for abilities as opposed to right thumb to click anything.
The G13 is the only peripheral I've ever bought and returned. Realllllly couldn't get used to it.

Quote:
Old 12-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #512
RinkRat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post

Yeah I just do a mouse keyboard combo with my Corsair K95 platinum, WASD feels natural to me.

My brother on the other hand swears by his razor orbweaver, I personally couldn't adjust to it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
RinkRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:50 AM   #513
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does this laptop exist?

- 8th gen Intel (i3-i5), or AMD Ryzen.
- 250GB or better SSD
- Dedicated graphics chip
- Ultrabook form factor (13-15" screen size)
- At least 1080p resolution
- Less than $1000 CAD

The closest I got was the XPS 13 on black friday, but it had a 7th gen Intel and no graphics chip. The 8th gen intel has revamped graphics so at 8th gen a dedicated graphics chip might not be as required.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2017, 01:04 PM   #514
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

So is it worth to upgrade my system? I've actually gotten really good life out of my PC and have been really happy with it, but I've noticed that it is having more trouble keeping up with some of the latest games.

Currently have an i5-3570K processor + MSI z77a-g65 motherboard + 16gb of ram.

I was looking at the Ryzen 5 1600, since that seems to be one of the best bangs for your buck right now and it is 249.99 at memx. Of course, I would need to get a new motherboard with that, then upgrade my ram from DDR3 to DDR4, which is more money. And I might as well buy a new case and try to sell the old parts.

So... is it worth it to upgrade? Or should I just keep what I have for now? How much more performance am I going to get out of this thing with the upgrade? Also, which benchmark site is the gold standard right now? Just getting some mixed reviews when I try to look it up.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 01:25 PM   #515
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
So is it worth to upgrade my system? I've actually gotten really good life out of my PC and have been really happy with it, but I've noticed that it is having more trouble keeping up with some of the latest games.

Currently have an i5-3570K processor + MSI z77a-g65 motherboard + 16gb of ram.

I was looking at the Ryzen 5 1600, since that seems to be one of the best bangs for your buck right now and it is 249.99 at memx. Of course, I would need to get a new motherboard with that, then upgrade my ram from DDR3 to DDR4, which is more money. And I might as well buy a new case and try to sell the old parts.

So... is it worth it to upgrade? Or should I just keep what I have for now? How much more performance am I going to get out of this thing with the upgrade? Also, which benchmark site is the gold standard right now? Just getting some mixed reviews when I try to look it up.
Not really much of a reason to upgrade your CPU/mobo for gaming imo. You're only 4 gens behind, which in the CPU world isn't all that bad. Following the CPU scaling average, you would at most see a 28% overall increase in FPS. A newer GPU would probably (depending on what you have) be a much bigger increase.

Quote:
Old 12-26-2017, 02:24 PM   #516
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycnet View Post
not really much of a reason to upgrade your cpu/mobo for gaming imo. You're only 4 gens behind, which in the cpu world isn't all that bad. Following the cpu scaling average, you would at most see a 28% overall increase in fps. A newer gpu would probably (depending on what you have) be a much bigger increase.
gtx 770
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:28 PM   #517
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

1080GTX Memory Express for $699. best bang for your upgrade buck IMO but let Psycnet chime in since he actually has a couple 1080's I'm on a peasant 1070
Raekwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:33 PM   #518
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
gtx 770
Your GPU is pretty much bottlenecked on modern games. You'll see much better return on investment by spending your money on a modern video card vs upgrading your CPU. I have a GTX 1070 running with an older CPU (i5 2500k o/c 4.5 Ghz) than yours and it runs pretty much most games at 1080p/60Hz fine. You could also consider overclocking your CPU if you haven't done so yet. Just use a decent cooler other than the stock fan that comes with your CPU.
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:47 PM   #519
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ebay has 10% Ebay Bucks plus Ebates 6% cash back means that there's a lot of good deals on high-end video cards on the Newegg Canada Store on Ebay.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:52 PM   #520
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah what these guys said.

Looking at it strictly from a gaming perspective, if you keep your video card and upgrade the CPU, you'll see about 25%-30% scaling, which isn't much.

If you go from a 770 (so, a ~4.5 year old video card) to a 1070, you would see a up to a staggering 350% scaling @ 1080p, and 420% scaling at 1440p.

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1731?vs=1768

Going to a 1080, it gets even more ludicrous with up to 415% scaling at 1080p and 540% scaling at 1440p.

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1714?vs=1768

The smallest disparity in benching is a 260% increase on that list. Video card tech is just bonkers when you start going beyond adjacent generations. Even crazier is that modern cards use even less power on average.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post: