Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 10:26 AM   #7261
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Lazar definitely deserves another look. People looked crappy playing under Gulutzan and are playing better under Peters, including but not limited to Monahan, Brodie, and Hathaway. I think Lazar needs at least a chance - besides, he's the one that said he needed to improve his game in the minors, and it appears he's done exactly that. I would be disappointed with Treliving if he didn't let Lazar play another game as a Flame.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 10:27 AM   #7262
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

But Lazar also looked bad with Ottawa. I suppose it could be all on Dave Cameron in which case I'm surprised Lazar didn't try to kill him.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:30 AM   #7263
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't mind them sending down Mangiapane and bringing up Lazar for the BOA game on Saturday. He will be fired up to be back and thats exactly what you need for that game.

Mangiapane honestly hasn't impressed me (neither has Dube). I would trade Dube over the first round pick if I need to make a decision. I also would trade Mangiapane as a piece to get a rental if the Flames go that route.

Mangiapane, Czarnik, Frolik, Stone, and Bennett (if he wants too much money) should be the potential pieces to bring in a player at the deadline.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:40 AM   #7264
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Doesn't Lazar have to clear waivers if he is brought back up?
Also, isn't his cap hit larger than Mangiapane / dube?

Fear of losing him for nothing / saving cap room for trade deadline could be what's in the way of his call up.

Last edited by Bleeding Red; 01-17-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:41 AM   #7265
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
Doesn't Lazar have to clear waivers if he is brought back up?
Also, isn't his cap hit larger than Mangiapane / dube / ryechel?
No. Clearing waivers to be brought up has been gone for about 6 years now.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:44 AM   #7266
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
No. Clearing waivers to be brought up has been gone for about 6 years now.

I meant does he have to clear waivers to be sent back down?
Old 01-17-2019, 10:55 AM   #7267
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has Lazar been playing centre or right wing?
Old 01-17-2019, 11:13 AM   #7268
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I replied to this in the ENG thread, but I think it’s more applicable here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
If we trade our 1st for Wayne Simmonds...nothing will happen but I'll be choked
I think that would be an overpayment as well.

But I have seen a lot of Simmonds hate, am I the only one who thinks he’s having an okay season? He has 111 SOG. Up there with Lindholm and Tkachuk. Obviously doesn’t have the finish or the point totals, but he’s getting lots of pucks on net. Philly, as a team, hasn’t been great this season. Simmonds also has 88 hits this season. I think he’d be a great addition to the lineup, and I doubt he’d be as costly as some of the rumours mentioned.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:20 AM   #7269
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I'm sure Detroit will be jumping at the chance to trade two of their most valuable players for our peanuts and a late 20s pick.

I admire the spirit though.
‘Joke blockbuster trade’

Wasn’t being serious.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:22 AM   #7270
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt we see Lazar anytime soon. I'd imagine he gets called up when the NHL playoffs start and the Heat season is complete (ie. the time where the NHL club has more flexibility on number of recalls).

He's apparently re-finding his game at the AHL level, may as well let that continue until they bring him up at the playoffs. The alternative of him being the 13th forward with the big club, and the risk of losing him on waivers, if they had to send him down, just isn't worth it at this stage.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:22 AM   #7271
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Put Lazar in context here, guys:

He has the same amount of points as kerby reichel who was acquired in exchange for shinkaruk. Reichel looked awful in his callup.

Lazar has one more point than Quine in 14 more games this year in the AHL. On a 1-way deal at 950k, he's the most expensive callup in the system for a team trying reduce their overall cap liability heading into the deadline.

Anything can happen, but there are all.sorts of things working against Lazar getting back into the lineup.

As far as a trade goes, he's probably in that 6-7th round pick range.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:27 AM   #7272
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I replied to this in the ENG thread, but I think it’s more applicable here.

I think that would be an overpayment as well.

But I have seen a lot of Simmonds hate, am I the only one who thinks he’s having an okay season? He has 111 SOG. Up there with Lindholm and Tkachuk. Obviously doesn’t have the finish or the point totals, but he’s getting lots of pucks on net. Philly, as a team, hasn’t been great this season. Simmonds also has 88 hits this season. I think he’d be a great addition to the lineup, and I doubt he’d be as costly as some of the rumours mentioned.
It'd be the exact same mistake we've made twice with Brouwer and Neal: you can't look at goal/point totals without context and assume they'll remain constant when you significantly downgrade the context.

Where does Simmonds fit into our current lineup? He's not gonna take Lindholm's spot. We've just spent half a season to realize that Frolik is the best fit on the second line. Our third line is finally starting to show some chemistry with Neal. Where do you put Simmonds? Do you bump Neal to the 4th line? Do you gamble that he'll work with Tkachuk-Backlund and push Frolik to the 4th line? Likewise with the powerplay: he's not taking a spot on the top unit. What good will adding a net-front guy do to a second powerplay unit that can't even generate shots?

Also, on Lazar: within 10 feet of the net, he's got the worst finishing ability I've ever see in an NHLer. He makes Bennett look like Monahan. However, I think the rest of his game gets unfairly criticized because of that. As a 4th line/PK/energy guy, I think he's a better option than any of our 4th line wingers currently. Last year I thought he was significantly better than Hathaway in a similar role. I don't think he's down in the AHL because he can't play a 4th line role - he's down there because he wants to rediscover enough offence that he can be a middle-6 guy.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:33 AM   #7273
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
I meant does he have to clear waivers to be sent back down?
Old 01-17-2019, 11:34 AM   #7274
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

With how many teams out of it already and a buyers market materializing day by day, I'm starting to think we might have a chance of acquiring a legitimate top 6 forward.

Duchene and Stone will probably still command a 1st ++, not sure we'll have the assets to make that happen. But perhaps a Nyquist, or a Hayes, a Dzingel, or maybe even a Zuccarello can be had for a relatively low price compared to previous years.

With an excellent UFA crop this year and so many teams possibly in sell mode by the TDL, this could be the year to swing for the fences. Maybe nab a playmaker who can help Neal rediscover his touch. That could make all the difference in going for a long playoff run.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:39 AM   #7275
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovaz View Post
It'd be the exact same mistake we've made twice with Brouwer and Neal: you can't look at goal/point totals without context and assume they'll remain constant when you significantly downgrade the context.

Where does Simmonds fit into our current lineup? He's not gonna take Lindholm's spot. We've just spent half a season to realize that Frolik is the best fit on the second line. Our third line is finally starting to show some chemistry with Neal. Where do you put Simmonds? Do you bump Neal to the 4th line? Do you gamble that he'll work with Tkachuk-Backlund and push Frolik to the 4th line? Likewise with the powerplay: he's not taking a spot on the top unit. What good will adding a net-front guy do to a second powerplay unit that can't even generate shots?.
.... all I did was look at the context of the point totals.

And said nothing about a long term contract.

Why the hell would he take Lindholm or Tkachuks spot!? He’s currently on the 3rd line in Philly with PP time. Probably 3/4 line here. If you think every winger on this team is going to play every single game until June, I have unfortunate news for you.

Net front guy who can’t generate shots? He IS generating shots. That’s my entire point.

However, there are probably teams that could use him more and will pay more. But I’d be surprised if he was moved for a 1st. Unless it was conditional on him signing. Which you then wouldn’t do, obviously.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #7276
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think it's quaint how the idea has caught on that Lazar is down in the AHL voluntarily to 'work in his game' or get his 'scoring ticih back'. And not, say, because he couldn't beat out anyone for a roster spot.

He's in the AHL because he isn't one of the top 15 forwards in the organization.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 11:52 AM   #7277
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I think it's quaint how the idea has caught on that Lazar is down in the AHL voluntarily to 'work in his game' or get his 'scoring ticih back'. And not, say, because he couldn't beat out anyone for a roster spot...
Who is perpetuating this idea? I can't say I have seen it espoused here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 01-17-2019, 11:54 AM   #7278
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovaz View Post

Where does Simmonds fit into our current lineup? He's not gonna take Lindholm's spot. We've just spent half a season to realize that Frolik is the best fit on the second line. Our third line is finally starting to show some chemistry with Neal. Where do you put Simmonds? Do you bump Neal to the 4th line? Do you gamble that he'll work with Tkachuk-Backlund and push Frolik to the 4th line? Likewise with the powerplay: he's not taking a spot on the top unit. What good will adding a net-front guy do to a second powerplay unit that can't even generate shots?

Also, on Lazar: within 10 feet of the net, he's got the worst finishing ability I've ever see in an NHLer. He makes Bennett look like Monahan. However, I think the rest of his game gets unfairly criticized because of that. As a 4th line/PK/energy guy, I think he's a better option than any of our 4th line wingers currently. Last year I thought he was significantly better than Hathaway in a similar role. I don't think he's down in the AHL because he can't play a 4th line role - he's down there because he wants to rediscover enough offence that he can be a middle-6 guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Who is perpetuating this idea? I can't say I have seen it espoused here.
Have seen it elsewhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 11:59 AM   #7279
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Proposal.
Calgary get Manning and first rounder from Edmonton for Lazar and Czarnik.
Do you make that trade?

Don't see anything in Manning, but they would need to dump salary.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:01 PM   #7280
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
Proposal.
Calgary get Manning and first rounder from Edmonton for Lazar and Czarnik.
Do you make that trade?

Don't see anything in Manning, but they would need to dump salary.
Not even Chiarelli is making that trade, sorry
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread