Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2019, 07:59 PM   #1501
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Agreed on the fear-mongering and misinformation angle, absolutely. Perhaps while rightly calling out the NDP for that nonsense he’d be so noble as to call out members of his own party? No? Ok, just checking.

Not that it’s meant to excuse it in any way, but I think there’s a real issue in playing the “do as I say, not as I do” angle. If UCP want to be above that, be above it and police their own (including Kenney). Let NDP take the low road, just don’t expect it to matter much when you call them out for it while you’re right beside them.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2019, 10:37 PM   #1502
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Or it could be disgruntled UCP members. There are a growing number of them.

Dissent rising in Kenney's UCP

Quote:
“The hyper-partisan, self-centred policies we see at play today in Alberta has degenerated the direct grassroots representation to a point where their best interests are being put behind unwritten party interests,” he said.
Quote:
There were nomination stakes for Ian Donovan, though. The former MLA resigned from his UCP riding association in Cardston-Siksika, and quit the party.

“If I feel (something) is crooked and corrupt, if I’m sitting there watching it still happen, I’m just as bad as what’s going on because I’m not doing anything about it,” he told Postmedia.
Quote:
Highwood MLA Wayne Anderson has filed a complaint with Elections Alberta, saying some of the same people caught on recordings about the Callaway matter tampered with his riding campaign.

In Calgary-East there have been allegations of bribery, signed by five candidates who lost to the campaign of Peter Singh. The party is investigating and a resolution is expected soon.

In Calgary-Greenway, MLA Prab Gill quit the UCP caucus after a report found he manipulated ballots. Later, he claimed the charges aren’t true and began criticizing Kenney.
Quote:
To cap this latest round, 17 members of the Calgary-Falconridge riding association quit last weekend.

A letter to the party said: “Instead of grassroots participation, we have suffered from top-down dictatorial behaviour on the part of party officials and employees.”
Ladies and gentlemen .... the UCP - The Next? government of Alberta.

Lucky Alberta. The UCP hasn't been elected and the same old corruption and entitlement has already started.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:48 AM   #1503
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Agreed on the fear-mongering and misinformation angle, absolutely. Perhaps while rightly calling out the NDP for that nonsense he’d be so noble as to call out members of his own party? No? Ok, just checking.

Not that it’s meant to excuse it in any way, but I think there’s a real issue in playing the “do as I say, not as I do” angle. If UCP want to be above that, be above it and police their own (including Kenney). Let NDP take the low road, just don’t expect it to matter much when you call them out for it while you’re right beside them.
I expect a lot of fear mongering and false peddling from both sides. I have no faith that Kenney will take the high road as I believe he and his party will get sucked into that crap. It's going to be an ugly election and voters are going to have to do some real digging to find the real truth.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:00 AM   #1504
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post

Lucky Alberta. The UCP hasn't been elected and the same old corruption and entitlement has already started.
It's true that there has been dissention in the party and if there wasn't i'd be shocked. You're always going to have disgruntled members who get sour with the way things are run or the direction the party is taking.

Much can be said for the NDP also with Robyn Luff's claims of bullying and Karen McPherson’s crossing to the AB party.

Both sides have been accused of dictatorship leadership or top down management.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:43 AM   #1505
GaiJin
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post

Anyone with a brain can see what's going on here, sour grapes after losing nominations then whine about the party because they felt they deserved to win a possible seat instead of having to go out and battle for it. If anything, this is entitlement weeding itself out.
GaiJin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GaiJin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 07:35 AM   #1506
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

so wasn't Notley supposed to eliminate Alberta's dependence on the price of oil and transition us to a diversified economy?

has she started any of that yet, or just bailed when she realized she had to fight for oil to stay in power.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:45 AM   #1507
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Column on Vivian Krause

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...-across-canada

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 09:11 AM   #1508
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That’s a pretty reckless statement from Sabir. However I’m more concerned about the fact that Hanson stopped short of saying the UCP wouldn’t reduce AISH at all. A lot of Albertans have to rely on that program and it isn’t by choice.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:45 AM   #1509
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
That’s a pretty reckless statement from Sabir. However I’m more concerned about the fact that Hanson stopped short of saying the UCP wouldn’t reduce AISH at all. A lot of Albertans have to rely on that program and it isn’t by choice.
Well the NDP hasn't come right out and said that they won't cripple the province for decades with a staggering debt load by continuing to borrow for operations. Seems reckless.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 09:53 AM   #1510
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well the NDP hasn't come right out and said that they won't cripple the province for decades with a staggering debt load by continuing to borrow for operations. Seems reckless.
Neither has the UCP
Old 01-17-2019, 09:57 AM   #1511
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Neither has the UCP
What can I say. The campaign hasn't even started yet and I'm already tired of the fear-mongering and stupidity.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 10:11 AM   #1512
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think we'd all better buckle in. With this years provincial election and the Federal Election in a bit over 9 months, this is going to be a year of nasty, gut rendering politics.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #1513
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
What can I say. The campaign hasn't even started yet and I'm already tired of the fear-mongering and stupidity.
I don’t disagree. Facts should speak for themselves but I’m pretty hesitant to believe either of the UCP or NDP are going to steer clear of the rhetoric. It’s going to be a brutal campaign.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #1514
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I expect a lot of fear mongering and false peddling from both sides. I have no faith that Kenney will take the high road as I believe he and his party will get sucked into that crap. It's going to be an ugly election and voters are going to have to do some real digging to find the real truth.
Kenney has already been swimming in the gutter for years.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 10:18 AM   #1515
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

The current political climate in our provinces and in the country is probably the most off-putting it's ever been in my entire life. The way the parties are conducting themselves - a degeneration into American-style fear tactics - and dichotimizing people along politico-economic lines, it's just a sour situation these days. And it doesn't look to be easing up any time soon.

A young me once thought of a career in politics, and even got a political science education. Really glad it didn't turn out that way; it seems like it is now an exercise in martyrdom. I can only hope for the best for any politician wearing any stripe, and they are able to do the the most ethical and honest duty they can to represent their people - not just the ones who voted them in, but the ones they represent in their ridings. That seems like a tall order these days. It seems trying to understand and reason is a thing of the past; simply play on people's deepest emotions and create siloes of hate and anger. Yuck.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #1516
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

This should be in a thread called "Crazy Sh't BC says". But I'll leave it here...

https://www.timescolonist.com/vancou...ncy-1.23603093

Quote:
Vancouver city councillors have voted to join cities such as Los Angeles and London in declaring a climate emergency.

Looking forward to closing down the existing TMX line.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:41 AM   #1517
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
This should be in a thread called "Crazy Sh't BC says". But I'll leave it here...

At this point the water cant rise fast enough...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 02:48 PM   #1518
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post

I mean most climate scientists are also sounding the alarm and saying we're 10 years or less away from climate catastrophe. How exactly is it "crazy" for cities to openly acknowledge that?
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:05 PM   #1519
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I mean most climate scientists are also sounding the alarm and saying we're 10 years or less away from climate catastrophe. How exactly is it "crazy" for cities to openly acknowledge that?
The problem is the actions that come out of things like this that while if everyone implemented could start to address climate change however when implemented on an adhoc basis amount to little more than virtue signalling and increased cost of living.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 03:08 PM   #1520
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The problem is the actions that come out of things like this that while if everyone implemented could start to address climate change however when implemented on an adhoc basis amount to little more than virtue signalling and increased cost of living.
So what's the solution then? Sit on your hands until everyone all agrees at once to start taking action? It's gotta start somewhere.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote