Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-17-2019, 08:26 AM   #201
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Flames didn't look overly sharp, lots of turn overs and missed passes.

Thought they looked off for most of the game.
I have to disagree. I thought the Flames played a solid game—they created a bunch of chances and allowed very little, especially in the third period.

This looked to me like a considerably better performance than the Colorado or Florida games.

Rittich was fine, but this was certainly not his best showing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 08:33 AM   #202
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Yeah, the guys on the radio are basically idiots.

There is more to the game than what you see on the stat sheet

That’s where they struggle
You sound like an apologist—just extremely and weirdly defensive of any criticism directed at David Rittich. When the goalie makes 0 saves in 23:00 he is rightly going to get called out for it. I thought it was an underwhelming performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 08:37 AM   #203
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He's been almost a point a game for the last three seasons.
I should of said to justify the 10 million per year.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:41 AM   #204
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

The difference last night was goaltending. Rittich sucked but he obviously gets a pass. We played well enough to win so not to worried about the game against the chicken wings.
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:43 AM   #205
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Boomer when discussing this OT loss where the opponent scored 3 goals on 3 shots the rest of the game after the 2nd period for referred to Rittich as "any save Dave?" this morning. I thought that was funny.
Its weird double standard on the Fan that they can mock Rittich but when its Smith in net giving up sofites/goals they seem to praise him even more.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:54 AM   #206
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Smith is getting rightfully raked over the coals for giving up goals that go right through him.

Apparently, to some, Rittich is immune from the same criticism. Sorry but its becoming a pattern where he is dropping to his knees way to early and giving up the top corners. Even on the deflfected puck (50' out btw) the puck still found the top corner.

Its correctable and something no doubt he is working on with Sigalet in practice. It's OK too, he is still learning the NHL game, but that doesn't mean what is happening isnt somewhat on him as much as anything. acouple of them have been well placed shots where he made himself as big as he could, but others are on him for opening up the spot far to soon and giving the shooter an obvious target.

I guess i'm "trolling" as well now, so i hope i get a big fish!
Old 01-17-2019, 08:59 AM   #207
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Its weird double standard on the Fan that they can mock Rittich but when its Smith in net giving up sofites/goals they seem to praise him even more.
Not sure i agree with this....Warrener wants Rittich to start both games this weekend, which would be odd as it means 3 games in 4 nights for him which screams injury waiting to happen. That soft tissue needs time to repair itself.

As they talked about this morning, the team has earned the fans trust, but Smith has earned non-trust until he earns it back with his play. Pretty succinct summary IMO.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:00 AM   #208
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^ lol. It’s almost like trolling at this point.
Quote:

They are fair comments.

Any time a goalie lets 3 goals on 3 shots in the 3rd and OT people are going to say he had a bit of a tough go of it.

Pretty much every person criticizing Rittich today has said that none of the goals were soft or his fault but that in a tight game you really need your goalie to make one of those saves.

I'm sure Rittich would say the same thing.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 09:02 AM   #209
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:

Right...because Rhett Warrener would have no idea how the game works beyond the stat sheet.

What you mean is that they are idiots because they disagree with what YOU think.

Last edited by transplant99; 01-17-2019 at 09:14 AM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to transplant99 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 09:11 AM   #210
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't buy into the Flames played sloppy. They allowed two freaking shots in the third. 99% of the time that will let you win the game. Rittich letting in 3 goals on 3 shots and the botched 3 v 1 in OT is what lost the game.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:32 AM   #211
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Right...because Rhett Warrener would have no idea how the game works beyond the stat sheet.

What you mean is that they are idiots because they disagree with what YOU think.

Nah, I’m talking about guys like Boomer and Steinberg, not anybody and everybody on the radio. These guys have to fill more air time than they have time to prepare for, and many of their conversations come from them discussing data (and struggling with it)

Please tell me you’re not going to go to the degree of pedantry to get a dictionary definition of the word idiot. I’m using it loosely.

Look, if somebody floats a muffin on Rittich in between those goals, it is a statistically independent event from the 3 shots that went in. It doesn’t change the 3 shots that went in, just takes away the stupid narrative.

It’s basically more logical to say it is the fault of the Flames D for not giving up more shots than it is to draw an insignificant correlation between independent events spread across time.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:35 AM   #212
Torchdemall
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I have to disagree. I thought the Flames played a solid game—they created a bunch of chances and allowed very little, especially in the third period.

This looked to me like a considerably better performance than the Colorado or Florida games.

Rittich was fine, but this was certainly not his best showing.

Yeah I have to agree, if not for the Sabre's goalie playing in god-mode that game would have been over before the third period. Also there easily could have been a late pp in that game for the flames on some hooking and holding and the pp1 looked like a threat to score whenever it was on the ice. Reffing was bad all around though last night calling weird ones and missing obvious ones on both sides, so... meh.

They did have some moments of scrambling around in their own zone and one time it ended up in the back of the net, but it wasn't that often really as they pushed the play the majority of the game I think. They didn't seem frazzled or desperate and just keep working and getting chances.

Sometimes they seem to be over thinking things and getting to cute, its one of the things I like about Mony... oh look the puck, and he immediately swats it into the net with a simple flick of the wrist. Chucky's backhand move and the last 3-1 rush up the net is a perfect examples of trying to do too much.

I thought Rittich was fine, but he was definitely not at his best last night.

Sometimes you will lose a game to a hot goalie even though you deserve to win, last night was a case of that. On to the next one.
Torchdemall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:47 AM   #213
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really don't care that we lost last night- we got a point. Meh. We can't win em all.

The thing that concerns me the most is Peters double shifting PP1- and then I thought he double shifted Gio on the 3 on 3? (I could be wrong) I don't have time to look for how many minutes Gio played last night (I thought it was a lot) but I really hope we don't have to lean so hard on our top 5 in the future, because inevitably they will get exhausted, or worse. We need a strong PP2- because I hate for that weakness to bite us in the ass in the future.
BigBrodieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:52 AM   #214
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrodieFan View Post
I really don't care that we lost last night- we got a point. Meh. We can't win em all.

The thing that concerns me the most is Peters double shifting PP1- and then I thought he double shifted Gio on the 3 on 3? (I could be wrong) I don't have time to look for how many minutes Gio played last night (I thought it was a lot) but I really hope we don't have to lean so hard on our top 5 in the future, because inevitably they will get exhausted, or worse. We need a strong PP2- because I hate for that weakness to bite us in the ass in the future.

I want them to roll the Brodie - Andersson PP more
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:09 AM   #215
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrodieFan View Post

I was quite surprised on the replay of the Eichel goal that it was Gio trying to check him, because I was sure Gio had been out the entire shift with Johnny just before (the 3 on 1).

On the PP, the top unit controlled for huge periods of time, so there weren't that many opportunities to switch anyway, plus they were so dominant it was hard to justify changing it up.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:27 AM   #216
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
You sound like an apologist—just extremely and weirdly defensive of any criticism directed at David Rittich. When the goalie makes 0 saves in 23:00 he is rightly going to get called out for it. I thought it was an underwhelming performance.

That’s about as underwhelming a position as I have seen you take. You’re better than that.

My opinion is that a goalie should stop the shots that he should stop. Time and sequence of those shots is less important, especially when the timing is spaced and they have no more correlation to each other than, say, consecutuve coin flips do.

I outlined a perspective to Bingo in his Game Takes thread on Eichel’s goal and put the probability of a save into context, considering shot situation, the fact that there is a distribution of types of shot quality, and given available statistical data.

Now if you want to address that, I think it is more constructive than what appears to be feeling some bizarre need to delegitimize a point of discussion by wrongly labeling a poster

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 01-17-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:30 AM   #217
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
They are fair comments.

Any time a goalie lets 3 goals on 3 shots in the 3rd and OT people are going to say he had a bit of a tough go of it.

Pretty much every person criticizing Rittich today has said that none of the goals were soft or his fault but that in a tight game you really need your goalie to make one of those saves.

I'm sure Rittich would say the same thing.

I agree with you particularly on the last point but what Rittich thinks is that he should stop everything he sees. He has the mindset that a goalie should have, but in reality it doesn’t work that way.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:34 AM   #218
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree with you particularly on the last point but what Rittich thinks is that he should stop everything he sees. He has the mindset that a goalie should have, but in reality it doesn’t work that way.
I am not sure what you are arguing. He allowed 3 goals on 3 shots. Ullmark made some incredible saves. All people are saying is that it would have been nice if he stopped at least one. He was the second best goalie last night.

No one is arguing that he allowed super weak goals or that he sucked. He had an off-night and people are acknowledging that. Hopefully he bounces back next game and shuts the door.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:39 AM   #219
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I am not sure what you are arguing. He allowed 3 goals on 3 shots. Ullmark made some incredible saves. All people are saying is that it would have been nice if he stopped at least one. He was the second best goalie last night.

No one is arguing that he allowed super weak goals or that he sucked. He had an off-night and people are acknowledging that. Hopefully he bounces back next game and shuts the door.

Sure. I thought he played well, not that he had an off night.
He stopped everything he should have.
Yes he allowed 3 goals on 3 shots but that is insignificant.
People love the sensationalism of the narrative but it is really pretty meaningless. That’s all.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2019, 11:21 AM   #220
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Sure. I thought he played well, not that he had an off night.
He stopped everything he should have.
Yes he allowed 3 goals on 3 shots but that is insignificant.
People love the sensationalism of the narrative but it is really pretty meaningless. That’s all.
I would agree with this take. Rittich was pretty good through 2 periods and was unfortunate in the 3rd and OT.

By his standards, he had an off night. But personally, I'd still take a Rittich off-night over a Smith good-night because I don't think you can ever be truly confident in Mike Smith. There's always going to be that chance where a straight shot beats him through and around the arms, whereas with Rittich, I'm confident he's going to stop all of those.

Rittich's a competitor and he'll bounce back. Guy is in his second year in the NHL and isn't perfect, he still has room for growth. With that said though, I'd still feel more comfortable if the team had a better 1B goaltender who can jump in and give the team solid and consistent goaltending just in case Rittich's play starts to dip a bit.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post: