Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2019, 03:27 PM   #1741
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Yeah that was awful. What really got me was after the chaos started he still sort of feebly reaches for his little plastic knife to go for the cake, then they take the cake and throw it at him too.

People are animals -- I couldn't even imagine doing this to either of my boys and would burn the house down if someone tried.
Yeah, after that initial chaos, it almost seemed like he was still feebly trying to cut the cake. It was overkill to the extent of something like flipping and beating a dead horse ten times over. Now, I'm pissed after watching that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Guess he was trying to make a "comeback".
Parks and Rec Kim Kardashian reference?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:37 PM   #1742
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

So a nurse at a nursing home in Kitchener, Ontario, was addicted to opioids and began stealing drugs from the workplace, which also involved not giving the correct medications or indeed, any at all, to residents.

Last week, an arbitrator ruled she must be rehired and compensated for loss of wages and dignity and respect, since opioid addiction is a disability.

Now, I fully get (even if I don't totally agree) with the disability argument, but how can anyone justify returning a person who put patients' health at risks for her own needs, to their job like this?

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...tor-rules.html
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:51 AM   #1743
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Likely won't be in charge of meds anymore.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:09 AM   #1744
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nursing homes generally are so short-staffed they only have one nurse, and that nurse is the only one who can prescribe meds or has access to them. PSWs, who do most of the work, aren't allowed to dispense meds.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:45 AM   #1745
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

The nurse successfully completed a rehab program. What’s the issue?
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:48 AM   #1746
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

The article stated that she has completed rehab so if that was successful, presumably, she doesn’t pose a threat any longer. I don’t know the history of how she was fired but if she told her supervisor that she had addiction issues and needed help but was still let go then the company didn’t play by the rules. Similar addiction stories play out in all kinds of industries. The difference is that most employees dont get fired but are provided with treatment.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 11:08 AM   #1747
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

So she steals from her workplace while putting patients at risk.

She now is no longer able to handle drugs as a condition of her nursing licence. But she must be rehired despite not being able to do her job - administrating drugs - because she legally can't.

Yeah, there's a couple issues here.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 11:25 AM   #1748
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I read the article a few times and it doesn’t mention (or I’m missing it) her not being able to handle drugs or a loss of licence.

In the article, it states that she told her employer about her addiction and then she was fired without being offered treatment. That is where the company erred and why she gets her job back. If an employee discloses an addiction, it’s the employers responsibility to offer treatment.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:42 AM   #1749
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The College of Nurses of Ontario prohibited her from practising nursing until June 2017, when she could return to her occupation if she followed treatment recommendations and met several other conditions, including having no access to controlled drugs and being observed at all times.

Sunnyside managers said the home could not accommodate D.S.

“They testified that because of the prevalence of controlled substances in the workplace, all health-care professionals would have access to controlled substances as part of their duties,” Steinberg said. “In their view, it is not possible to work as a Team Leader or RN without some access to them.”
That's in the article. Did you scroll past the ads/other videos?
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2019, 12:28 PM   #1750
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I read that part but interpreted it to mean that while she was in treatment she wouldn’t have access to drugs and be under supervision. I’m curious how they will move forward because they will have to make accommodations for her disability.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:43 PM   #1751
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Parks and Rec Kim Kardashian reference?

Sort of, it popped in my head and I was conflicted about using it, but decided that the usage was different enough and that it's cliche enough of a joke that Pratt doesn't own it.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:16 PM   #1752
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
I read that part but interpreted it to mean that while she was in treatment she wouldn’t have access to drugs and be under supervision. I’m curious how they will move forward because they will have to make accommodations for her disability.
Yeah, I think it's unfortunate because, apparently, now the nurse that is suppose to administer drugs and monitor the patients actually needs to be monitored herself and can't do the job she is expected to.

And regardless of legality, I just don't like the decision. I'm a strong proponent of the mentally ill and disabled. I have been personally affected by alcohol addiction, so I have strong sympathy for those fighting addictions of all kind. I just don't give two ####s about someone who would knowingly put others at risk regardless. If you're missing work because you're passed out drunk, failing to focus because you're waiting for your next fix, cranky with a customer because you're going through a withdrawal, those are all 'forgivable' and 'fixable' mistakes in my mind. Those are the type of issues that can be fixed with treatment and should warrant accommodation and understanding.

But putting people at risk just isn't something that should be forgiven, Crashing your car while driving drunk, you don't get sympathy for being an addict from me. In this case the person was especially heinous because not giving her patients the drugs they required means they would have been going through needless pain and suffering. She would have had multiple opportunities to fix the issue but only went after she was caught.

There's addicts breaking into cars to get some change for their dealers who end up not only un-hirable but in prison. And all they did was some property damage, yet this lady knowingly put people's well-being at risk and caused unneeded suffering, yet she's going to get back wages.

I also think it hurts the disabled overall, now there's just absolute no reason at all to ever give a second chance to someone you know had struggles with addiction. They can literally steal from the company, put clients at risk, completely ruining the reputation of your company, and you can't even fire them.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 10:26 PM   #1753
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ents-1.5000870
I don’t need to know anything else about this case, beyond what is purportedly in the videos. These ‘things’ should be castrated and hung.
Timothy Fanning.
Adham El-Sakaan.
UnIDable now 18year old.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:11 PM   #1754
verda13
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ents-1.5000870
I don’t need to know anything else about this case, beyond what is purportedly in the videos. These ‘things’ should be castrated and hung.
Timothy Fanning.
Adham El-Sakaan.
UnIDable now 18year old.

As brutal as this seems to be, I'm glad we have a legal system.

What is your opinion if the purported victim is lying?
verda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:09 PM   #1755
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by verda13 View Post

There's VIDEO evidence because they recorded it. VIDEO. Of her whimpering and saying "no" and "stop". They stopped because she was CRYING SO HARD.

I'm sure most of us can see the difference between, "sure, I'd like to have sex with a few guys at once and give you a blow job" and what actually occurred which was them beating the 5h!t out of her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FireFly For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 10:07 PM   #1756
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by verda13 View Post

Purported? Lying? About in fact being the one filmed in no less than two undisputed videos of her being subjected to brutally physical sexual violence whilst pleading “no” and “stop”. Videos taken by the offenders.

They’re not attempting to deny the video evidence. They’re not even attempting to claim they all agreed to make some sort of sick rape fetish snuff film.

If you care to share, however far fetched it may be, any circumstance where the actions videotaped would not be heinously criminal, please do. Because I would have no issue if these things were put to death, so I must be a sicko. Please enlighten me.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:31 AM   #1757
verda13
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
There's VIDEO evidence because they recorded it. VIDEO. Of her whimpering and saying "no" and "stop". They stopped because she was CRYING SO HARD.
I agree, but there are also a lot of videos like that on plenty of xxx hub sites. Should all those 'things' be hung? All I was trying to say, poorly it seems, is that we shouldn't jump to conclusions having not seen the video or know the circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Purported? Lying? About in fact being the one filmed in no less than two undisputed videos of her being subjected to brutally physical sexual violence whilst pleading “no” and “stop”. Videos taken by the offenders.

They’re not attempting to deny the video evidence. They’re not even attempting to claim they all agreed to make some sort of sick rape fetish snuff film.

If you care to share, however far fetched it may be, any circumstance where the actions videotaped would not be heinously criminal, please do. Because I would have no issue if these things were put to death, so I must be a sicko. Please enlighten me.
Yes, there is a strong possibility of this being a heinous and brutal crime. As mentioned above without seeing the videos or knowing what led up to it, we don't know the whole story.

My original reply was addressing the fact the I found it quite absurd to mention that someone didn't need to know anything else other than a single news article. I also addressed the fact that at times there are victims that are not 100% truthful. These are not bold stances.

I do not condone what they are being accused of. If they are guilty, I hope they receive just punishment and I too, will have fantasies of street justice. But for now, I'll leave it to our legal system. That's all.
verda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:17 AM   #1758
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47134033

Quote:
Pope Francis has admitted that clerics have sexually abused nuns, and in one case they were kept as sex slaves.

He said in that case his predecessor, Pope Benedict, was forced to shut down an entire congregation of nuns who were being abused by priests.

It is thought to be the first time that Pope Francis has acknowledged the sexual abuse of nuns by the clergy.
Why can't we just let priest marry or dissolve the church?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2019, 10:49 AM   #1759
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's time to remove the tax exempt status of this horrible organization.
Old Yeller is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2019, 08:37 AM   #1760
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
It's time to remove the tax exempt status of this horrible organization.
Lets start with Scientology.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote