Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-04-2019, 09:53 AM   #61
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still mad about The Last Jedi.

I'm not sure how JJ brings the story back onto the rails, then finishes off the Skywalker saga in appropriate fashion.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2019, 09:56 AM   #62
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

I'm not sure how JJ brings the story back onto the rails, then finishes off the Skywalker saga in appropriate fashion.
Its simple. You bring in Tarantino who does what Tarantino does and kills every last damned one of them.

You want to know who Rey's parents are? Doesnt matter. They're dead and so is she.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2019, 08:47 PM   #63
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Resistance returns this week...

Looks like we're finally get some Wars with our Stars.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:41 PM   #64
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

well here's hoping the second half is better, I was really underwhelmed with the first half.

I know its a tough act to follow TCW, and rebels excellent last 3 seasons, but here's hoping.

I wonder if this time line takes place right during the events of TFA, because they showed Hux making the I'm about to wipe out the rebellion speech.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2019, 10:25 PM   #65
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I still haven't watched an episode of that show, but that trailer looks alright.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:06 PM   #66
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:40 PM   #67
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I posted some of it earlier in the thread, its a really high quality fan film and pretty well done.

Normally Disney/Lucas don't mind fan films and allow people to make them as long as they're not profiting. But in this case I think they used John Williams music in it.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:45 PM   #68
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Really well made Vader fan film

this is fantastic

no surprise Disney copyright striked it.

Last edited by Ashasx; 01-16-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:23 PM   #69
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Normally Disney/Lucas don't mind fan films and allow people to make them as long as they're not profiting. But in this case I think they used John Williams music in it.
Lucasfilm has stepped in.

zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2019, 09:47 AM   #70
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Possibly spoilerish article around ep 9

https://www.ibtimes.com/star-wars-ep...threat-2759789

Old 02-05-2019, 12:19 PM   #71
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Possibly spoilerish article around ep 9

https://www.ibtimes.com/star-wars-ep...threat-2759789
I suspect that lines up with some recent comments made by Anthony Daniels:

Spoiler!
Old 02-05-2019, 12:27 PM   #72
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Spoiler!

Old 02-05-2019, 12:31 PM   #73
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Spoiler!
Spoiler!
Old 02-05-2019, 12:34 PM   #74
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

Same, I am honestly soured on it all.

That being said, I really liked Solo, so what the hell do I know?
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:18 AM   #75
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Same, I am honestly soured on it all.

That being said, I really liked Solo, so what the hell do I know?
You know a lot. We went over this in this thread already, Solo was a good movie, it just had horrible timing following everyones disappointment with Episode 7.

Ep 7 does good, Solo has better numbers... or if they just pushed it to Christmas instead of 4ish months later.. and we might still have the rumoured Boba Fett and Obi-Wan movies in development. Apparently now the former is scrapped entirely and the latter has been dead air.

The synopsis for the Fett movie was so good to, basically taking the part in ESB with all the bounty hunters being told by Vader to hunt Solo and expanding on it, exploring the different paths they went on and their relationships with each other. Just a great movie of them screwing each other over and fleshing out some fan favourites on the big screen.

Screw you Rian Johnson.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 02-06-2019 at 11:28 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:33 AM   #76
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think that's all on Rian Johnson. Let's be honest while EP 8 wasn't great it also isn't as bad as the fan base made it out to seem and not bad enough to boycott all things Star Wars. One thing with the Star Wars fan base is that they are pretty toxic with anything that changes their view of the original trilogy and it's characters.

So think that the biggest problems that Solo had was that it was a "re-imagining" of a core OT character and where it fell in the Disney release calendar.

1) I think if they changed the movie from being Solo centric to Lando centric that it would have done better. The core fanbase don't want to see the core 4 (Hans, Luke, Leia, Vader) changed at all. Think if the movie was Lando focused with Hans as a sub character with a more secondary role it would have had more hype. Think that's a big reason Rogue One was successful, it focused on secondary characters, and gave you just enough Badass Vader to tie it back to the OT.

2) It made no sense for Solo to be released May 10th, a whole 13 days after Avengers Infinity War, and 4 months after Ep 8.

I'd almost guarantee that if Solo released on December 14th and only had to go head to head with Spider-Man Into The SpiderVerse, Aquaman, Bumblebee, and Mary Poppins as it's biggest holiday movie competition that it would have done much better.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 02-06-2019 at 11:41 AM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:39 AM   #77
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I don't think that's all on Rian Johnson. Let's be honest while EP 7 wasn't great it also isn't as bad as the fan base made it out to seem and not bad enough to boycott all things Star Wars. One thing with the Star Wars fan base is that they are pretty toxic with anything that changes their view of the original trilogy and it's characters.

So think that the biggest problems that Solo had was that it was a "re-imagining" of a core OT character and where it fell in the Disney release calendar.

1) I think if they changed the movie from being Solo centric to Lando centric that it would have done better. The core fanbase don't want to see the core 4 (Hans, Luke, Leia, Vader) changed at all. Think if the movie was Lando focused with Hans as a sub character with a more secondary role it would have had more hype. Think that's a big reason Rogue One was successful, it focused on secondary characters, and gave you just enough Badass Vader to tie it back to the OT.

2) It made no sense for Solo to be released May 10th, a whole 13 days after Avengers Infinity War, and 4 months after Ep 7.

I'd almost guarantee that if Solo released on December 14th and only had to go head to head with Spider-Man Into The SpiderVerse, Aquaman, Bumblebee, and Mary Poppins as it's biggest holiday movie competition that it would have done much better.
There was nothing wrong with Ep 7. It was great.

Ep 8 though....
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2019, 12:01 PM   #78
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I liked episode 7, I did think it was too much of a reboot of ANH, and thought that the villain suite was a lot weaker then Vader/Emperor/Tarkin.

Oh and the scene where they showed the Death Star and then Star Killers gun made to look like it could shoot out deathstars was really cringy.

I also thought Phasma was a complete waste in the first movie and they really missed an opportunity.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:46 PM   #79
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I liked episode 7, I did think it was too much of a reboot of ANH, and thought that the villain suite was a lot weaker then Vader/Emperor/Tarkin.

Oh and the scene where they showed the Death Star and then Star Killers gun made to look like it could shoot out deathstars was really cringy.

I also thought Phasma was a complete waste in the first movie and they really missed an opportunity.
I also thought Phasma had great potential. Seems very strange to me that they didn't make better use of her. Rian Johnson clearly wanted to make use of female characters, why not use the one that's already there and awesome. Instead he didn't use the character much at all, and then literally throws her into a giant hole.

While I found Phasma to be a relatively balanced and nuanced character, Johnson went with General Hux as the main side villain, who is basically a cartoon character.

Gwendoline Christie is also a great and well trained actor. I have no idea why she wasn't used more in TLJ.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 12:57 PM   #80
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I also thought Phasma had great potential. Seems very strange to me that they didn't make better use of her. Rian Johnson clearly wanted to make use of female characters, why not use the one that's already there and awesome. Instead he didn't use the character much at all, and then literally throws her into a giant hole.

While I found Phasma to be a relatively balanced and nuanced character, Johnson went with General Hux as the main side villain, who is basically a cartoon character.

Gwendoline Christie is also a great and well trained actor. I have no idea why she wasn't used more in TLJ.

You know its funny because Phasma was just so badly executed.

With Boba Fett they spent Empire establishing him as a legit bad a$$, then they killed him in a silly way in Jedi.

With TFA she just stood there looking shiny, when it came time to test her she was stupid and a coward. Then in TLJ, they started establishing her, and then she got her face kicked in by what was basically a lesser Storm Trooper. She looked awesome but she was never made to be awesome, or brave, or anything but a homer Simpson in nice Armor.

Now from the nerd point of view.

The whole shiny thing really goes against the whole concept of the Storm Trooper ideal.

When you saw Trooper officers you either saw them in their black uniforms like on the Tantive in ANH. or on the Death Star

Or you saw officers in the same armor as the regular troops except they had different colored rank shoulder tabs.

What makes the concept of Storm Troopers awesome were that they were faceless, relentless, and they all looked the same like cogs in a machine, they didn't differentiate because they were made this way by design.