Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-06-2018, 08:37 AM   #701
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkRat View Post
Rumor out of Computex from board partners is July 20th launch of the 1180/2080 GPU's

Couple sites reporting
https://www.tweaktown.com/news/62136...-30/index.html
Can we expect a large drop in price on the 10XX series with their release? I'm hoping that the new model paired with potential overstock after the crypto craze sees a substantial drop.

Do people still SLI?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:12 AM   #702
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Samsung released 20 TV models with built-in FreeSync today.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev.../#e14c007658f7

Compatible with all PCs and the XBone (S & X). Might actually make me consider upgrading my TV again...
Quote:
It's awesome for Xbox One players -- a distinct competitive advantage Microsoft has over Sony's PlayStation 4 -- and equally awesome for PC gamers with Radeon graphics cards who typically shy away from living room gaming because of the lack of FreeSync. I'm not exaggerating here. It's a game-changer that delivers tear-free, very smooth gaming and makes the overall experience much more enjoyable even with low-to-midrange GPUs.
Is this really a big thing? I have my PC hooked up to a 50" plasma that's about 6 years old and I don't really notice any tearing. Granted I'm only doing 1080p, but I've been playing most AAA titles from the last two years on ultra settings with no problems.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:18 AM   #703
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Is this really a big thing? I have my PC hooked up to a 50" plasma that's about 6 years old and I don't really notice any tearing. Granted I'm only doing 1080p, but I've been playing most AAA titles from the last two years on ultra settings with no problems.
It's more of an icing on the cake scenario. For FPS and racing games those extra frames beyond 60 just makes things that much smoother. Diminishing returns though.. I can notice the difference between 60 and 100 frames (it's a bit of a strange experience at first), but going from 100 to 144 frames is negligible through my not so young anymore eyes
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 11:22 AM   #704
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
It's more of an icing on the cake scenario. For FPS and racing games those extra frames beyond 60 just makes things that much smoother. Diminishing returns though.. I can notice the difference between 60 and 100 frames (it's a bit of a strange experience at first), but going from 100 to 144 frames is negligible through my not so young anymore eyes
Gotcha. I haven't been playing too many FPS games and I don't play racing games at all, so I would probably never notice.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:41 AM   #705
RinkRat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Can we expect a large drop in price on the 10XX series with their release? I'm hoping that the new model paired with potential overstock after the crypto craze sees a substantial drop.

Do people still SLI?
Over the many years I've been upgrading between cards I've never seen retailers willing to take a hit on GPU prices much below original MSRP. A good number of retailers such as Memory express purchased a fair number of cards at higher cost and weren't able to move them before Crypto plunged again.

So any discount applied right now and for awhile after is more or less just down to the old MSRP, you may find people like myself who purchase a new gpu each generation looking to sell on Kijiji or Ebay, but there will also be a flood of minding cards, honestly the only issue with the abuse mining cards takes tends to be fans which can be replaced somewhat easily.

As for SLI, it's in a weird place right now. I personally go for the highest end single card solution but the older a game is the more likely it is to gain proper SLI support. Newer titles on the other hand it's a waste of money.

Quick SLI bench with dual 1080ti's https://babeltechreviews.com/gtx-108...ce-25-games/3/
RinkRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:57 AM   #706
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

With the demise of NCIX, I'm looking for suggestions where to buy a new gaming desktop and the associated build / components. My desktop is 6 years old with one 27 inch Samsung monitor. It has served the purpose even if it was a relatively cheap to begin with.

Budget would be $1500 - $2500 including monitors with a dual setup. Typically tend to play games such as Civilization, Total War, Eve, but with teenagers, the rig needs to hopefully run Fortnight at high settings. Budget is flexible with the right setup.

I'm not sure if I need to go with a 1080 or if a 1060 or 1070 will do given the amount I game and substantial price difference. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 03:57 PM   #707
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
With the demise of NCIX, I'm looking for suggestions where to buy a new gaming desktop and the associated build / components. My desktop is 6 years old with one 27 inch Samsung monitor. It has served the purpose even if it was a relatively cheap to begin with.

Budget would be $1500 - $2500 including monitors with a dual setup. Typically tend to play games such as Civilization, Total War, Eve, but with teenagers, the rig needs to hopefully run Fortnight at high settings. Budget is flexible with the right setup.

I'm not sure if I need to go with a 1080 or if a 1060 or 1070 will do given the amount I game and substantial price difference. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I designed my current system using https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/ which will tell you who has the best prices. But if you bring that into Memory Express they should price match most parts. They will also mount the CPU, cooler, and RAM and test them to save some headaches.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2018, 10:40 AM   #708
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Intel CEO resigns over a workplace relationship. Probably an excuse because of a number of missteps as of late from that company.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018...-relationship/
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:02 AM   #709
RinkRat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Intel CEO resigns over a workplace relationship. Probably an excuse because of a number of missteps as of late from that company.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018...-relationship/
I always figured the shady mass sell off of stock prior to the melt down and specter issue would be a factor, but knowing the U.S they probably didnt bat an eye.
RinkRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:11 AM   #710
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

He knew it was coming for sure. Normally if the company is doing real well they'd have swept it under the rug but I'm sure the board's been expressing their displeasure at continued mess numerous times and this was just the last straw for them.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:28 PM   #711
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Currently looking for a new laptop and it seems like the Huawei Matebook X Pro fits all my needs, has a premium build, and is by far the cheapest versus its competitors.

What's the deal here? Is there a reason why I shouldn't get it?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:35 AM   #712
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Probably the only thing I don't like about that one is the webcam placement.. a necessary evil I guess for the thin bezels, but the placement is truly terrible, if I did a lot of video conferencing I'd probably be buying a separate webcam.

Any of the other options (MacBook Pro, Dell XPS, Razer Blade) are definitely more expensive, so it does seem like a very good deal, and it reviews very well.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 01:17 PM   #713
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Probably the only thing I don't like about that one is the webcam placement.. a necessary evil I guess for the thin bezels, but the placement is truly terrible, if I did a lot of video conferencing I'd probably be buying a separate webcam.

Any of the other options (MacBook Pro, Dell XPS, Razer Blade) are definitely more expensive, so it does seem like a very good deal, and it reviews very well.
XPS also has bad camera placement.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 01:41 PM   #714
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not really concerned about having a webcam anyway so I'm okay with that.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:14 PM   #715
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Perhaps I'm being too prejudiced/dismissive or whatever, but after my experience with the Nexus 6P, I am personally staying away from any Huawei products.

Different product types, I know. But I suppose I am biased because of all the ThinkPads I have owned over the years. After having bought other laptop brands and having various issues, it's the only laptop that I really trust.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stealth22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 09:19 PM   #716
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Currently looking for a new laptop and it seems like the Huawei Matebook X Pro fits all my needs, has a premium build, and is by far the cheapest versus its competitors.

What's the deal here? Is there a reason why I shouldn't get it?
There's a long thread on RFD that might be of interest to you. One of the posts on the last page has some speed tests rating the speed of the included SSD.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/micro...-1574-2198884/
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2018, 12:04 AM   #717
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
There's a long thread on RFD that might be of interest to you. One of the posts on the last page has some speed tests rating the speed of the included SSD.

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/micro...-1574-2198884/
If the X1 Carbon wasn't so much more expensive, that's probably what I'd go for.

Last edited by Ashasx; 07-18-2018 at 12:08 AM.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:01 AM   #718
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
If the X1 Carbon wasn't so much more expensive, that's probably what I'd go for.
There's a friends/family discount code for Lenovo out there. Search either RFD or Reddit.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stealth22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2018, 04:13 PM   #719
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Memory Express has a decent sale this weekend, figured I'd share
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:54 PM   #720
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Memory Express has a decent sale this weekend, figured I'd share
This ASUS Zenbook is actually a pretty decent ultrabook.

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX69766

I picked up the version of it with a smaller SSD (256 vs 512) for $899 from Best Buy last week and I've been very impressed with it so far. Obviously isn't going to be used for gaming (although there is a version with a dedicated GTX 980 inside), but it's perfect for travelling and office work.