Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #21
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDebaser View Post
Feaster will never know just how close he came to having his ass handled to him that day.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:51 PM   #22
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I like Jay, I think we will look back at his time with the Flames and realize he did pretty well, at least at the draft.
Why should he get the most credit for the draft when that is something he said he isn't even heavily involved in. From my understanding he just went off his scouts list and Weisbrod. You can give him credit for choosing that approach but I think the scouts deserve the most credit for the picks.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 06:58 PM   #23
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Why should he get the most credit for the draft when that is something he said he isn't even heavily involved in. From my understanding he just went off his scouts list and Weisbrod. You can give him credit for choosing that approach but I think the scouts deserve the most credit for the picks.
Why wouldn't we? Recognizing talent and trusting advice is an excellent asset of a leader.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 07:14 PM   #24
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
Why wouldn't we? Recognizing talent and trusting advice is an excellent asset of a leader.
Sure there is something to be said for stepping aside and letting the guy with experience handle the draft but how do you know if that guy really knows what he is doing if you have no basis for critiquing the players yourself?
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:18 PM   #25
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If this is all they are looking for, does anyone know who I can email my resume to?
Old 07-28-2014, 07:29 PM   #26
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Sure there is something to be said for stepping aside and letting the guy with experience handle the draft but how do you know if that guy really knows what he is doing if you have no basis for critiquing the players yourself?
Well that's exactly what would make a good GM. Based on the scouts suggestions you develop your own view your scouts abilities. If it's blind trust, he's lucky. If he evaluated their talent and they earned his trust, that's a good asset of a GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
If this is all they are looking for, does anyone know who I can email my resume to?
1) Click here and apply through our online application form for part-time positions

2) Email a resume and cover letter to: jobs@calgaryflames.com

3) Fax a resume and cover letter to: 403.571.9701

Be sure to detail your past drafting success and hours logged scouting top and budding prospects around NA and the world. Being bilingual would also be quite an asset
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 07:34 PM   #27
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I had no real problem with Jay Feaster and was generally excited with the direction he had the Flames going. Some bad for sure but overall I feel he left a positive mark. I think the drafting during his groups time was good and has really turned the fortunes of the club around. He's not taking sole credit for drafting which I think is right but it still happened under his direction.

I am also happy that he is gone and I really like where the Flames are and seem to be heading.

I believe Feaster came into a no win situation and did the best he could. I think he was severely handicapped by a number of things. Iginla, owners wanting to win, a fairly poor cupboard. He was in tough.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 07:42 PM   #28
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

you win this round, Spilt.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:50 PM   #29
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
I had no real problem with Jay Feaster and was generally excited with the direction he had the Flames going. Some bad for sure but overall I feel he left a positive mark. I think the drafting during his groups time was good and has really turned the fortunes of the club around. He's not taking sole credit for drafting which I think is right but it still happened under his direction.

I am also happy that he is gone and I really like where the Flames are and seem to be heading.

I believe Feaster came into a no win situation and did the best he could. I think he was severely handicapped by a number of things. Iginla, owners wanting to win, a fairly poor cupboard. He was in tough.
Regardless of anyone's feelings on Feaster, I think we can all now agree with hindsight, he was coming into an awful situation.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #30
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanuthier View Post
you win this round, spilt.
Yes!
Old 07-28-2014, 08:44 PM   #31
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well that's exactly what would make a good GM. Based on the scouts suggestions you develop your own view your scouts abilities. If it's blind trust, he's lucky. If he evaluated their talent and they earned his trust, that's a good asset of a GM.
So if the scouts are no good, it will take a few years to find out. In the meantime you're fired and the team's rebuild is compromised. You need the ability to evaluate the scouts job besides relying on what he tells you. How can you develop your own view when you have no basis to work with?
Old 07-28-2014, 08:46 PM   #32
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feaster was bumbling idiot who would change the direction of the team like the wind changes direction. Always aligning himself with whatever the popular vote was... a yes man

Thank god he's gone, his tender will go down as the worst in teams history... congratulations
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 09:09 PM   #33
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hahahaha wow! StykerSteve's going to get a restraining order against him from Feaster.

That's hilarious that he found out about that. That's one of my top 10 CP moments for sure.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 09:19 PM   #34
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Hahahaha wow! StykerSteve's going to get a restraining order against him from Feaster.

That's hilarious that he found out about that. That's one of my top 10 CP moments for sure.
Just a wild guess here but I think StrykerSteve made that up that last quote but still hilarious.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 09:31 PM   #35
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very classy interview.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 09:57 PM   #36
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post

haha oh no
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:59 PM   #37
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

nice interview.

I think Feaster was in a losing position once he took over given that the mandate was still "win now" despite not having the horses to do it or the assets/cap to bring them in.

His trades were pretty 'meh', but in the end, hudler has shown tremendous value, wideman looked great till he got hurt, and the drafting was good. the ROR fiasco was just bad, and the first point where i realized that he had to go.

to be completely honest, i find it a bit humerous that people (myself included) are on board with the burke tenure from day 1, when i haven't been thrilled with anything to date (trade deadline, draft day, etc). of course he has brought in a complete overhaul of the management (gm, agm, etc) but nothing to tangibly grade just yet. where as one could argue that feaster left the franchise depth in a better position than what he inherited. Hope we can say the same for burke/treviling, though it will never be an apples to apples comparison given the team/franchise state when they took over.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:23 PM   #38
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
nice interview.

I think Feaster was in a losing position once he took over given that the mandate was still "win now" despite not having the horses to do it or the assets/cap to bring them in.

His trades were pretty 'meh', but in the end, hudler has shown tremendous value, wideman looked great till he got hurt, and the drafting was good. the ROR fiasco was just bad, and the first point where i realized that he had to go.

to be completely honest, i find it a bit humerous that people (myself included) are on board with the burke tenure from day 1, when i haven't been thrilled with anything to date (trade deadline, draft day, etc). of course he has brought in a complete overhaul of the management (gm, agm, etc) but nothing to tangibly grade just yet. where as one could argue that feaster left the franchise depth in a better position than what he inherited. Hope we can say the same for burke/treviling, though it will never be an apples to apples comparison given the team/franchise state when they took over.
He gutted our team and sold players off at a low for evey player, and iced a team that lost enough games to almost be the worst team in the league... That's not a good job being a GM, I'm just thankful our scouts didn't screw up his mess even more... they came threw when he dropped the ball time and time again
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2014, 10:25 PM   #39
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
So if the scouts are no good, it will take a few years to find out. In the meantime you're fired and the team's rebuild is compromised. You need the ability to evaluate the scouts job besides relying on what he tells you. How can you develop your own view when you have no basis to work with?
He didn't hire scouts or of highschool last I checked. Same as any job ever: he looked at their body of work; listened to their philosophies and their theories in what they are looking for in a player; and evaluated their knowledge and past performance to determine if he trusted their decision making.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:31 PM   #40
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna Sniper View Post
He gutted our team and sold players off at a low for evey player, and iced a team that lost enough games to almost be the worst team in the league... That's not a good job being a GM, I'm just thankful our scouts didn't screw up his mess even more... they came threw when he dropped the ball time and time again
well once the decision was made to rebuild, doesn't that inherently mean gutting the team and having to ice teams that may not do very well as you inject skill through the draft and youth?

also not his fault that the decision to rebuild came at a time when our most vital player(s) didn't hold top end value, didn't want to move to places garnering the best returns, etc. the iginla move, as much as i love iggy, hard to fault feaster that the player didn't accept a trade to the best return garnering team in the end. i find it hard to believe that teams were going to provide a return any greater than the blues did for bouwmeester who's a soft as trash dman who was overpaid, heck ex-players were laughing at how useless of a dman he is when things get intense. the regehr trade was absolutely atrocious, no debating that.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote