Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-13-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Need advice on selling a domain

A friend bought the .ca version for an up and coming US based company when he found out about it a month ago. The company is in pre launch phase. He's already been approached via email by 3 different parties. (The most recent one, I believe, is a professional company working on behalf of someone or the actual company. I am not sure though.)

Someone in the US warned me that if the company had a trademark on their name before the domain of that same name was registered, that they could sue and take the domain. Any truth to that or is that just a US thing? Anything else similar in nature that he should be concerned about? Legal stuff?

I personally own quite a few domains, all through Godaddy, but have never sold one. How does one sell a domain without getting scammed? (he obviously would avoid paypal and Western Union, but is there anything else I should warn him about?)
Would appreciate any insight at all.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never sold a domain so I'm not sure the best way to sell.
I did have a name that infringed on a trademark that I wasn't aware of when I registered it. I received an email from the company's legal department stating to release the domain or they would pursue legal action.
Wouldn't really deter me from registering a name in the off chance that a company offered to buy it from me instead of going the legal route.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Check this out I didn't have time to go through it all but the answers are probably here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_name_speculation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybersquatting
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote