Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2018, 09:15 AM   #221
TheKurgan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

There is no way the NHL lets the Flames leave Calgary. The risk to fans is that we are going to slowly transition from a Cap Team to a Budget Team and the 'on ice' and 'in rink' experience will suffer. I personally already think the 'in rink' experience is average at best and not worth the face value ticket price.

The same can be said about the Stampeders, love the team but paying $100 a ticket (red seats) to take the family to that dump of a stadium is getting tough to justify.
TheKurgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:16 AM   #222
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe this has been answered before. How large is the Flames ownership group now?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:17 AM   #223
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Maybe this has been answered before. How large is the Flames ownership group now?
https://www.nhl.com/flames/team/owners
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 09:18 AM   #224
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
https://www.nhl.com/flames/team/owners
Old 09-21-2018, 09:19 AM   #225
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Teams are bought and sold and relocated. It is somewhat amusing that there is this perception that the Flames are unique within the NHL. Brian Burke publicly said without a new arena the team would leave without any fanfare.
Without any fanfare? I seem to remember burke being criticized pretty soundly for those remarks.

$$ talks and the flames in Calgary are worth more than 5-10 teams in the league right now being where they are. The BOG isn't going to do it just to line Murrays pockets when they have lucrative Canadian TV deals and a rabid fan base.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 09:20 AM   #226
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKurgan View Post
There is no way the NHL lets the Flames leave Calgary. The risk to fans is that we are going to slowly transition from a Cap Team to a Budget Team and the 'on ice' and 'in rink' experience will suffer. I personally already think the 'in rink' experience is average at best and not worth the face value ticket price.

The same can be said about the Stampeders, love the team but paying $100 a ticket (red seats) to take the family to that dump of a stadium is getting tough to justify.
Again, Bettman has publicly stated that the existing situation in Calgary cannot remain indefinitely.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:21 AM   #227
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Teams are bought and sold and relocated. It is somewhat amusing that there is this perception that the Flames are unique within the NHL. Brian Burke publicly said without a new arena the team would leave without any fanfare.
Yes, but you've said nothing here. Burke towed the company line pretty darn well. He was a fantastic advocate for his team and ownership. I'm not sure if you are quoting him from after he left, but if so, it wouldn't shock me to hear that he was still loyal to Edwards.

I laid out a case for the flames moving to Houston costing teams a billion plus dollars several posts back. So convince me that 30 owners + Bettman who is carving his final legacy all of a sudden stopped liking money, and you can convince me that they would ever allow the Flames to move to Houston.

Edwards is a cog in a machine that's expanding. He doesn't make unilateral decisions. If that much is unclear to you, then it will be as if we are having two different conversations.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:22 AM   #228
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Again, Bettman has publicly stated that the existing situation in Calgary cannot remain indefinitely.
Pure lip-service.

The Flames are in the upper half of revenue drivers in this league despite our antique building.

Would a new building be better? Of course! But even with our creaky old rat-trap we're better off than half of the rest of the league.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 09:27 AM   #229
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
Yes, but you've said nothing here. Burke towed the company line pretty darn well. He was a fantastic advocate for his team and ownership. I'm not sure if you are quoting him from after he left, but if so, it wouldn't shock me to hear that he was still loyal to Edwards.

I laid out a case for the flames moving to Houston costing teams a billion plus dollars several posts back. So convince me that 30 owners + Bettman who is carving his final legacy all of a sudden stopped liking money, and you can convince me that they would ever allow the Flames to move to Houston.

Edwards is a cog in a machine that's expanding. He doesn't make unilateral decisions. If that much is unclear to you, then it will be as if we are having two different conversations.
I am not making the business case for a sale one way or another so we don’t need to argue about that. I just doubt the views of many that the NHL will block a relocation of the Flames.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:27 AM   #230
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given what I've heard about stuff, I'm quite optimistic a deal is gonna happen.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:29 AM   #231
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
If the Flames left I take it that would leave the Hitmen in limbo too? Would CSEC dissolve without the Flames?
Don't forget the Stampeders. The Stamps without a new stadium are actually in a worse situation than the Flames in that they are still winning but fewer people want to go to McMahon to watch games. I can't imagine he's going to want to deal with that as he will probably look to sell those teams to a local buyer possibly as a package.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:30 AM   #232
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah there's no way the NHL blocks the Flames moving. That's just not going to happen despite what some fans think. That said I think city hall is playing nicer now behind the scenes and something will get done.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:30 AM   #233
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Given what I've heard about stuff, I'm quite optimistic a deal is gonna happen.
You are far and away the most trusted source for City information on this site, very glad to hear this
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:31 AM   #234
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Yea, like the Coyotes. That has been a pretty quick process. Perhaps like Atlanta, where they even went back for a second beating. All we are hearing is rumours, rumours that sound like a classic media disinformation campaign designed to improve a negotiating position.

Furthermore, there are at least 5-10 teams in much worse shape then the Flames, I would be more worried as an Ottawa fan. They do not even have a fan base, most of the residents either root for the Habs or the Leafs.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 09-21-2018 at 09:36 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 09:32 AM   #235
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
The BOG isn't going to do it just to line Murrays pockets when they have lucrative Canadian TV deals and a rabid fan base.

Forget that - how about this math for the NHL:

Seattle - $500 million
Houston - $500 million
Quebec City - $500 million

What would the NHL get for a "relocation fee"? $50 mil? $100 mil?

I believe Bettman (and the other owners) sees $1.5 billion in the not too distant future.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:33 AM   #236
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Heres the problem: The Saddledome, for all of its faults, is free.

The Flames pay $1 per year in rent. Not a typo.

So to get a bigger, better, newer stadium would be awesome, we'd all love it, but what it wont be is free.

Current stadium (Saddledome) = Free

New Stadium = Not Free

Herein lies the problem.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 09:37 AM   #237
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Pure lip-service.

The Flames are in the upper half of revenue drivers in this league despite our antique building.

Would a new building be better? Of course! But even with our creaky old rat-trap we're better off than half of the rest of the league.
At a recent STH event it was said the Flames receive money from the NHL as part of the revenue sharing. No idea how the NHL manages it all, but if they are receiving they are probably around the mid point for teams.

I also think that Burke's and Bettman's comments has more to do with long term future. I think we can all agree that in the next 5 years this teams isn't going anywhere. Once you start getting farther out I don't think you can be so certain if nothing has changed.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:39 AM   #238
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
Forget that - how about this math for the NHL:

Seattle - $500 million
Houston - $500 million
Quebec City - $500 million

What would the NHL get for a "relocation fee"? $50 mil? $100 mil?

I believe Bettman (and the other owners) sees $1.5 billion in the not too distant future.
I think it will be more than that. Also, it will all take place after Bettman hammers through the no sharing of expansion money with the players on the new CBA, likely after the next lockout. God these guys are dicks...

That's 50 million per team and without Houston there is no Quebec.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:41 AM   #239
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
At a recent STH event it was said the Flames receive money from the NHL as part of the revenue sharing. No idea how the NHL manages it all, but if they are receiving they are probably around the mid point for teams.

I also think that Burke's and Bettman's comments has more to do with long term future. I think we can all agree that in the next 5 years this teams isn't going anywhere. Once you start getting farther out I don't think you can be so certain if nothing has changed.
I get it. We do need a new arena and we're going to get one, they just have to hammer out the terms.

Unfortunately, Edmonton screwed us by giving Katz everything and then some. Who wouldnt want the same deal?

Old 09-21-2018, 09:41 AM   #240
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
I think it will be more than that. Also, it will all take place after Bettman hammers through the no sharing of expansion money with the players on the new CBA, likely after the next lockout. God these guys are dicks...

That's 50 million per team and without Houston there is no Quebec.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe expansion fees are currently shared with players.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote