Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2008, 11:40 AM   #1
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Hooking Xbox up to wireless

Does anyone know if you need the wireless network adapter from Xbox ? Or can you use say a wireless receiver that has an ethernet port and then connect from that? Like a lynksys wireless G usb router or something?
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #2
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Pretty sure you need the wireless adapter (100$ at futureshop). I haven't really investigated this though, so maybe somebody around here has a better solution.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:51 PM   #3
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I investigated this somewhat thoroughly before buying my 360 in January and ultimately going with a wired connection. My connection is just as you describe - my internet goes into my wireless gateway which broadcasts the wireless signal for my PC, Wii, and DS, but then I have a LAN cable running from the gateway to my 360 and to my HD-DVD player. If you have an existing wireless network and your gateway/router is close enough to make it feasible to run a wired connection to your 360, it will definitely work.

There are LAN-to-wireless bridges out there, but they're hard to find. It would basically "trick" your 360 into believing it had a LAN connection while it was really connecting to wireless network. Buffalo had one of the better products I found, but they're in some kind of litigation limbo as a company or something.

I have no idea if a generic device like a wireless printer hub or anything would work with the 360 and allow it to connect to your wireless network or not.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #4
MolsonInBothHands
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have my old modded xbox hooked to the home network with these:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NETGEAR-XE104NA-X...QQcmdZViewItem

They work well enough to stream video to the xbox from my media server. My daughter has her room connected the same way, and it works great.
MolsonInBothHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:42 PM   #5
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

not sure if this is what your asking for, but you could use your laptop (if you have one) or a near by pc that has internet and connect your xbox to that.

http://www.trap17.com/forums/interne...op-t54749.html
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote