Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-21-2020, 02:12 PM   #4921
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife was tested 51 hours ago and still doesn’t have results. That’s surprising considering other numbers I’ve seen in this thread.

Kinda hoping it is Covid. It’s a pretty bad cold with coughing and sneezing, but that’s it.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:23 PM   #4922
Ryan Coke
First Line Centre

Exp:

My wife tested Tuesday got results Friday, roughly 68 hours. Negative FWIW.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:23 PM   #4923
cupofjoe
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
My wife was tested 51 hours ago and still doesn’t have results. That’s surprising considering other numbers I’ve seen in this thread.

Kinda hoping it is Covid. It’s a pretty bad cold with coughing and sneezing, but that’s it.

Maybe I don't understand what you are trying to say, but under no circumstance would I ever willingly want my wife to be diagnosed with Covid.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to cupofjoe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2020, 02:49 PM   #4924
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Just because someone isn't classified as "healthy" doesn't mean there wasn't an expectation that they had many years remaining in their lives. We are being too binary in some of these important definitional elements.
It’s kind of concerning to me how many people, especially those touting themselves as critical thinkers, are making binary arguments.

There seems to be a lot of suggestion that people are panicking, or not taking it seriously at all.
That some things are given facts with a straightforward response, or simple anecdotes that mean nothing.
That there is this group, and that group, and “I” am in the good group, other people are in the bad group.

None of this is helpful and none of it is interesting. The vast majority of people here are falling into grey areas between these things, as is the information we have at hand which should dictate our reactions. The more people try to fit information and other posters into binary “blanket” categories, the further the discussion deteriorates, honestly.

Combat misinformation with factual information, consider the context of things, and realise that things are complex and that some cannot be made simple. Some of the people who say the way they’re looking at the pandemic in a measured, critical way, can’t even seem to interpret other posters in that way, or concepts like “health.” It makes me very much doubt that they have the ability to look at something much more complex in that way, or perhaps they’re just picking and choosing, which isn’t that helpful either.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2020, 02:58 PM   #4925
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
I'm confused about the messaging of ICU capacity right now. Currently we're at 58, but there's messaging that we're almost at our limit, not really saying we can add more if necessary.

I thought that since April, that Alberta Health has been prepared to expand ICU considerably since based on their projections, they were expecting a lot of cases for the spring, which we didn't get anywhere close to?

Based on this article from September, there's currently 272 ICU beds in the province in total. And there's the ability to improve capacity to more than 1000. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...care-1.5723342

So where's the ICU limit being reached coming from? Am I'm misunderstanding things? Is this hospitalization limits that's being talked about instead?
Global News this morning talked about ICU capacity in their Covid reporting. They mentioned that currently 70 ICU beds have been designated as Covid ICUs so the concern with reaching capacity is with respect to that number of 70. However, they are readily available to convert an additional ~100 adult ICU beds to Covid if necessary.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:12 PM   #4926
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Global News this morning talked about ICU capacity in their Covid reporting. They mentioned that currently 70 ICU beds have been designated as Covid ICUs so the concern with reaching capacity is with respect to that number of 70. However, they are readily available to convert an additional ~100 adult ICU beds to Covid if necessary.
I'm curious at what cost those 100 beds would come at. "Converting" ICU beds to open them for Covid patients would mean taking away from other roles. Similar sacrifices would occur to transfer staff to care for the ICU Covid patients.

Would it be another cut into elective surgeries (like Edmonton Zone is seeing)? That seems like AHS' primary target for reductions when the Covid situation has gotten dangerous.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:19 PM   #4927
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
I'm curious at what cost those 100 beds would come at. "Converting" ICU beds to open them for Covid patients would mean taking away from other roles. Similar sacrifices would occur to transfer staff to care for the ICU Covid patients.

Would it be another cut into elective surgeries (like Edmonton Zone is seeing)? That seems like AHS' primary target for reductions when the Covid situation has gotten dangerous.
Here is a recent Global article about the ICU capacity. Sounds like they already added capacity in Edmonton. https://globalnews.ca/news/7476892/a...v-21-covid-19/
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2020, 03:21 PM   #4928
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post

My positive result being returned to me seemed take longer than the people I know that ended up testing negative. 2 days was how long it took for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofjoe View Post
Maybe I don't understand what you are trying to say, but under no circumstance would I ever willingly want my wife to be diagnosed with Covid.
He means that if this is as bad as her illness is going to get it might as well be COVID to get it over with. I felt the same way.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
V
Old 11-21-2020, 03:26 PM   #4929
#-3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
My wife tested Tuesday got results Friday, roughly 68 hours. Negative FWIW.
Where was her test?

I've heard at work that the AHS drive-thru / greyhound special testing locations are very fast, and pharmacy locations have been taking 5+ days.

When my son needed a test we made sure we went to Greyhound because of what I had heard, and it was pretty much exactly 1 day for results.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:30 PM   #4930
#-3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I believe we can ramp up to 1,000 if we have to. The issue isn't beds. It's people. They don't have enough trained nurses or physicians to deal with it. They can get family docs and surgeons to jump in but they don't really know how to deal with this type of trauma. We want to avoid going over 70 because we are getting non experts to Band-Aid our response. In the spring we thought this was going to be a lot worse than it actually has turned out to be.
There was a good cartoon on this thread late in the spring, don't really want to look for it, but basically the point of it was;

If we do nothing it will get really bad,

If we do something it won't be as bad and people will accuse us of doing too much.

Given the wildly extreme reaction we have put into this compared to what anyone would have believed a year ago, I don' think its possible to know how bad it could have gotten, or gauge the efficacy of the actions, but by looking at the results in Spain / Italy / NE US during the spring we can be pretty sure they had an impact.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2020, 03:34 PM   #4931
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Just because someone isn't classified as "healthy" doesn't mean there wasn't an expectation that they had many years remaining in their lives. We are being too binary in some of these important definitional elements.
My response is that it’s pretty easy to not get COVID if you are high risk. As a 30 year old, you probably can live a pretty much guaranteed COVID free life if you stay home and take precautions.
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:44 PM   #4932
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post

They have “pop up” hospitals built in both cities. Basically heated tents outdoors. I think one is near Peter Loughheed. It’s being held in reserve.

Staffing would be the biggest bottle beck.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2020, 03:45 PM   #4933
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we also have to be careful with pre-existing conditions, comorbidity, etc.

For e.g. I believe high blood pressure is included in this - and that takes a significant portion of, well, otherwise "healthy" people.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1329917720725372928
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:46 PM   #4934
Jiri Hrdina

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
My response is that it’s pretty easy to not get COVID if you are high risk. As a 30 year old, you probably can live a pretty much guaranteed COVID free life if you stay home and take precautions.
Each situation is different
What if they have to work? What if a family member does?
What if they need to leave the home for treatment
Broad generalizations such as this are well...too broad
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2020, 03:48 PM   #4935
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
There was a good cartoon on this thread late in the spring, don't really want to look for it, but basically the point of it was;

If we do nothing it will get really bad,

If we do something it won't be as bad and people will accuse us of doing too much.

Given the wildly extreme reaction we have put into this compared to what anyone would have believed a year ago, I don' think its possible to know how bad it could have gotten, or gauge the efficacy of the actions, but by looking at the results in Spain / Italy / NE US during the spring we can be pretty sure they had an impact.

I'm not criticizing anything we did in the spring. We ordered 41,000 ventilators. We thought you could get Covid from groceries and surfaces. We didn't know that the number of people under 50 that require hospitalization is pretty immaterial. We were preparing for a situation where we would have 41,000 people on ventilators at a time. We aren't even close to that.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:50 PM   #4936
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
Not necessarily. If you need to go for any appointments or lab tests you are thrown into some pretty sketchy situations, surrounded by morons who can't keep a mask over their nose for 15 minutes. You probably still need to occasionally go to some high risk places. The less community spread, the better.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:53 PM   #4937
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I'm not criticizing anything we did in the spring. We ordered 41,000 ventilators. We thought you could get Covid from groceries and surfaces. We didn't know that the number of people under 50 that require hospitalization is pretty immaterial. We were preparing for a situation where we would have 41,000 people on ventilators at a time. We aren't even close to that.
True - to some of this idea. But I think you discount the idea of why we weren't close to that - a chunk is because we took action to work towards flattering the curve. Just because something didn't happen doesn't mean it wasn't going to.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:59 PM   #4938
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Each situation is different
What if they have to work? What if a family member does?
What if they need to leave the home for treatment
Broad generalizations such as this are well...too broad
Then they stay home and collect the government support. Are they not supposed to take the financial hit that each and every one of us has just because they are high risk? I’m a business owner that has not been able to pay myself since March and it’s because of higher capacity reductions to my fitness business and additional closures to protect the high risk. Shouldn’t they be protecting themselves too?

My dad is 74 and has pulmonary fibrosis and pulmonary hypertension and is on home oxygen. He goes to multiple appointments each week. He masks up, he makes sure to sanitize consistently, and he goes about his life carefully. He is quite literally amongst the highest of risks.

Last edited by the-rasta-masta; 11-21-2020 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:01 PM   #4939
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://youtu.be/uEo3rnU12jw
Old 11-21-2020, 04:13 PM   #4940
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHot25 View Post
True - to some of this idea. But I think you discount the idea of why we weren't close to that - a chunk is because we took action to work towards flattering the curve. Just because something didn't happen doesn't mean it wasn't going to.
You are literally supporting my position. My comment was that we prepared for 1,000 ICU beds because we thought this was going to be way worse than it is. We got it under control. What about what I'm saying is controversial?