Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2018, 08:06 PM   #141
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Honest question - how well would these hold up in an exterior environment? You should find some random places to hide these around town as rouge public art.
I'm not sure. Guess it would depend on the conditions. The clay itself should be okay after it's been baked and as long as there's a coat of lacquer on it the paint would be protected.

Hiding 'em around the city is actually a fun idea, like a demented scavenger hunt. And since I'm running out of space in the house it would also be a unique way of getting rid of some stuff.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:30 PM   #142
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

My new house has a big triple garage and with only one car I’ve decided to build a workshop and start accumulating tools. Because why not. Got some questions.

Workbench
My first project will be a workbench. What are some recommendationded designs, tips, pitfalls to avoid, etc.? I’ve done some googling and a walk around table style like this seems like it would be really practical. But at the same time more of a wall bench style like this seems handy for other types of jobs and tools organization. I’m definitely thinking basic construction. No fancy joints yet.

Tools Storage & Organization
Workbench with drawers and pegboard backing like this or a more standard tool chest like this?

Power Tools
My plan is to just put sales alerts into the Canadian Tire app and buy as things come up 50%+ off. I’ve only got a drill, jigsaw, and sander. What should my first purchase be, especially considering I want to build a work bench? I’m thinking mitre saw or circular saw? Also, what about corded vs cordless and if cordless do I really want to stick to one brand with a common battery?
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:18 PM   #143
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I'm replacing my work bench in the near term. Any interest in my old one, it's a walk around. 60 x 30 approx.

Let me know, I can get you more details.

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2018, 04:22 PM   #144
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For tools it really depends what you want to make. If recommend you think about that first. I will say that the power tools at Canadian tire are usually not even worth the sale price. You're better off buying decent used tools on kijiji most of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
My new house has a big triple garage and with only one car I’ve decided to build a workshop and start accumulating tools. Because why not. Got some questions.

Workbench
My first project will be a workbench. What are some recommendationded designs, tips, pitfalls to avoid, etc.? I’ve done some googling and a walk around table style like this seems like it would be really practical. But at the same time more of a wall bench style like this seems handy for other types of jobs and tools organization. I’m definitely thinking basic construction. No fancy joints yet.

Tools Storage & Organization
Workbench with drawers and pegboard backing like this or a more standard tool chest like this?

Power Tools
My plan is to just put sales alerts into the Canadian Tire app and buy as things come up 50%+ off. I’ve only got a drill, jigsaw, and sander. What should my first purchase be, especially considering I want to build a work bench? I’m thinking mitre saw or circular saw? Also, what about corded vs cordless and if cordless do I really want to stick to one brand with a common battery?
Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wireframe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2018, 05:34 PM   #145
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I'm replacing my work bench in the near term. Any interest in my old one, it's a walk around. 60 x 30 approx.

Let me know, I can get you more details.
Thanks man. Unfortunately the new house is not in Calgary...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireframe View Post
For tools it really depends what you want to make. If recommend you think about that first. I will say that the power tools at Canadian tire are usually not even worth the sale price. You're better off buying decent used tools on kijiji most of the time.

I’m pretty certain I want to make stuff out of wood mainly (a workbench to start, then a little stool, then who knows what, and maybe a nice table or outdoor playhouse down the road). What brands are good and which are crap that should be avoided?

Last edited by Frequitude; 07-14-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:14 PM   #146
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks guys.

I’m pretty certain I want to make stuff out of wood mainly (a workbench to start, then a little stool, then who knows what, and maybe a nice table or outdoor playhouse down the road). What brands are good and which are crap that should be avoided?
This is a solid mitre saw. I have it and would recommend it. https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1...000526692.html

I think you should start with a mitre saw and router. I use those two tools the most.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2018, 06:22 PM   #147
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

The table saw is the workhorse of the shop. I can’t imagine trying to do much of anything without a table saw.

If you’re just starting with outdoor construction you probably don’t need a table saw. A chop saw and circular saw will probably get you through most of your cutting. Although I don’t know if I could live without my sawsall at this point.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:41 PM   #148
wireframe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Fine woodworking (a nice table) and construction grade woodworking (playground set) are going to be different. It's okay that you don't know which one you want to focus on yet - that's what it's like to be a beginner.

I'm not going to recommend a tool brand because each has their own preference. I don't want to get into that argument with anyone. Just know that with tools you usually get what you pay for. Just starting out, you can get away with buying a few tools of the ryobi level and a few ridgid/dewalt/Milwaukee level and go from there. Regarding Canadian tire, I'm saying that you'll be happier if you only buy 3 decent tools than you would have been with 6 cheap ones.

That being said, don't go crazy with expensive tools either. You don't need hilti or festool products because you don't know if you even like woodworking yet.

It's really easy to get sucked into buying more and more tools. Try to avoid that as best you can. Like I said before, the shopping list is specific to your goals but here's what I would get to start out:
* drill
* circular saw
* random orbit sander
* jigsaw
* mitre saw
* table saw (see note below)

A table saw is the most important tool for a serious woodworker. It's also the most dangerous. Most people have a small no site saw for ripping long boards. I have a serious saw that i got on kijiji and I know one guy who refuses to buy one at all because of the risks. I'll let you decide what you want to do there.
Quote:
Thanks guys.

wireframe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wireframe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2018, 07:36 PM   #149
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks guys. Without starting a war, is it safe to say that Mastercraft falls into the “don’t bother you get what you pay for” bucket?

There’s no Home Depot here, just Canadian Tire and Lowe’s. That’s why I was leaning the CT route. They carry Dewald though so maybe I’ll just wait for a sale to pop up.

Also, does Ryobi slot in above or below the Dewalt/Rigid/Milwaukee level?
Old 07-15-2018, 12:26 AM   #150
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ha. Well after getting lost down a google rabbit hole, I realize asking if I should buy a mitre saw was naively about 10 cart lengths ahead of the horse.

I’d like to get into fine woodworking. It would seem the first order of business is to buy a circular saw to go with my drill and build a basic workbench then see if I even still like the hobby. No glue and clamps and such because it would seem I first need a workbench to build a fancy workbench.

Does that sound like a good start? If yes, can anyone provide me with some links for a good basic starter workbench considering the only flat surface I have right now is my garage floor? A bit more than basic so it lasts a few projects or more would be ideal.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:28 AM   #151
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can build a simple work bench with a circular saw, drill, some 2x4's and a sheet of plywood, though having a couple saw horses(you can build those too!) would help. This way, even if it has some screw ups(which it will) it's a good practice piece and you can always re-use the wood later when you build your non-screwed up one. I'd start with that.

Your first projects are going to be full of whoopses which is fine. Accept that this is temporary and you will be far less frustrated when it happens.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2018, 07:35 AM   #152
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Ha. Well after getting lost down a google rabbit hole, I realize asking if I should buy a mitre saw was naively about 10 cart lengths ahead of the horse.

I’d like to get into fine woodworking. It would seem the first order of business is to buy a circular saw to go with my drill and build a basic workbench then see if I even still like the hobby. No glue and clamps and such because it would seem I first need a workbench to build a fancy workbench.

Does that sound like a good start? If yes, can anyone provide me with some links for a good basic starter workbench considering the only flat surface I have right now is my garage floor? A bit more than basic so it lasts a few projects or more would be ideal.
I'd suggest going for a track saw setup over a basic circular if you can. Really happy with mine - went with the cheaper Makita version rather than the sweet Festool.

I made this portable torsion box bench setup. My saw sits in a cradle on the end rather than the bars like he does. Could do the whole build with a track saw, router, drill, and pocket hole jig.

http://www.paulkhomes.com/order-plans.html

You can find a ton of Paulk inspired bench builds on Youtube.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DFO For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2018, 07:39 AM   #153
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks guys. Without starting a war, is it safe to say that Mastercraft falls into the “don’t bother you get what you pay for” bucket?
The Maximum line is alright, although IMO, has fallen in quality in the last few years. If you can get a Maximum product for a good price I'd rarely say no.

However the base Mastercraft line is pretty bad now.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2018, 08:02 AM   #154
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFO View Post
I'd suggest going for a track saw setup over a basic circular if you can. Really happy with mine - went with the cheaper Makita version rather than the sweet Festool.

I made this portable torsion box bench setup. My saw sits in a cradle on the end rather than the bars like he does. Could do the whole build with a track saw, router, drill, and pocket hole jig.

http://www.paulkhomes.com/order-plans.html

You can find a ton of Paulk inspired bench builds on Youtube.
A track saw is a great tool. I use a track saw frequently and strongly prefer it over a table saw. I almost never pull out my table saw anymore. My table saw doesn't have a big enough table for me to comfortably use it on my own so I use my workbench or saw horses and the track saw.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2018, 09:48 AM   #155
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been quite happy with my Riobi battery powered drills and 16 gauge nailer. I like that the batteries cross over to my leaf blower and weed wacker. The circ saw I wish I hadn’t bought and have since replaced with a Makita.

I also have a Makita sliding compound mitre saw that has been the most used tool. I would get one of these first, in a well reviewed brand. Even to make your first workbench you’re going to want one. Using just a circ saw you’re going to make life difficult when your cuts aren’t perfectly straight and square. Make sure it’s calibrated perfectly and things go much smoother than trying to join material that isn’t really a true 90 degrees.

I don’t have space for a table saw and I think even if I did I’d still rather have a track saw instead. Moving the saw over a large piece of material is way better than the other way around. It’s also safer. Even in the short term, buy a good cutting guide, clamp to the sheet good and cut with a good circ saw.

Last edited by topfiverecords; 07-15-2018 at 09:50 AM.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2018, 10:28 AM   #156
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you have time watch some of AvE's "vidjay-o's". He has given me some real insight into the world of power tools.

AvE on YouTube

BOLTR: Festool Track Saw TS 55

Last edited by GreatWhiteEbola; 07-15-2018 at 10:32 AM.
GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreatWhiteEbola For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2018, 10:45 AM   #157
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You have rightly heard the dangers of a table saw - circular saws are more dangerous. Mitre saws are not only one of the safest saws, but it is also one of the most useful tools, for any kind of woodwork you might be interested in.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knalus For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2018, 12:10 PM   #158
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knalus View Post
You have rightly heard the dangers of a table saw - circular saws are more dangerous. Mitre saws are not only one of the safest saws, but it is also one of the most useful tools, for any kind of woodwork you might be interested in.
For outdoor and rough construction, sure. I'm not sure any fine woodworkers use a miter saw outside of cross cutting lumber to rough lengths. Any other cross cuts get done on the cross cut sled for the table saw.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:36 PM   #159
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Table saws aren't that dangerous if you actually use the safety equipment and take precautions. Unfortunately the first thing a lot of people do is pull the guard and riving knife off and start sawing away.

To start, I wouldn't go for a job site saw, as even the good ones aren't a lot of fun to work with. If I couldn't swing at least a contractor style saw I'd probably hold off and make do with a circular saw.

That said, years ago reface an entire kitchen once using only the following tools:

-$99 Mastercraft table saw
-Ryobi drill and bits
-Mastercraft orbital sander
-a few clamps and other odds and ends

It actually turned out quite well. I had to use pre-milled lumber since I didn't have a planer at that point, but if you're judicious about where to use the straighter stock vs the less straight stuff you can get pretty good results. Still, looking back there were some safety shortcuts I had to take to make it work with only those tools that I wouldn't do again.

For a first workbench, you might also want to take advantage of Home Depot's panel saw. Figure out the dimensions you want, have them cut a plywood top and any other crucial sheet good parts to size, and then get started. You could easily build it from there with just a circular saw and drill.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:38 PM   #160
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

At it again. Celluclay, styrofoam, sheet styrene and an empty bottle of contact lens solution became this George Melies-inspired wall hanging. Now to find a place to put it:

spoilered for size:

Spoiler!

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote