Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-27-2015, 08:39 AM   #81
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
My Brother works at bestbuy in Saskatoon and they were recently warned about ensuring people were residents of Saskatchewan before giving them sask plans. So something might be happening to stop this
But so far nothing is stopping you from getting an Alberta #, then changing it to a Sask one online and switching to the good plan correct?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 08:53 AM   #82
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I am honestly surprised Telus hasn't closed that loophole by enforcing a plan evaluation and change when you alter area code.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:48 AM   #83
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My surprise is that the same company, providing the same service, often times off the same tower, offer and enforce inflated plans according to geographical region. It's frankly absurd that it's so starkly different in price
Old 08-28-2015, 06:34 AM   #84
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It is absurd, but it is not surprising. Prices fall to the level of competition. Telus (Bell and Rogers) don't have to compete with government subsidized telcos in the rest of the country like they do Manitoba and Saskatchewan. And since MTS and SaskTel are undercutting the market, Telus et al need to match where they are in direct competition.

And as we saw when Verizon considered an entry into Canada, Telus, Rogers and Bell are pretty much joined at the hip. Almost to the point where I would start wondering about collusion. Unfortunately, the only legitimate alternatives in Alberta (i.e.: Wind) aren't developed enough to be viable for most people.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:46 AM   #85
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Successfully moved a couple phones over. Despite my initial hiccups it is really easy to do. I found it was just easy to walk in, tell them new sim activation on month to month, on an AB plan but I need a 306 number. In and out in 15 minutes, and then logged in, plan swapped and number ported in 20 minutes after that. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-16-2015, 04:20 PM   #86
Morozee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just a little update on my MB Koodo Plan. I was already a Koodo subscriber and wanted to keep my existing 780 number. I did the following:

- Paid off my remaining Koodo tab balance and current monthly bill.
- Went to Fido and ported my number out to one of their basic monthly plans.
- Acquired a Koodo MB sim card with $48/month plan.
- Paid my first monthly Fido bill.
- As Ryan Coke mentioned previously, I can confirm that the Koodo system will not close out your original account until the exact last day of the billing cycle. Therefore you cannot port back into Koodo with your original phone number until that time. On the last day of that billing cycle, I ported back into my new MB Koodo account.

I did this with my phone as well as my wife's. We've been up and running for a couple weeks, no problems. I should get some money back from Fido, prorated for the couple weeks I was with them. In terms of additional charges/expense, there were no fees at all for cancellation /porting. Fido didn't charge me anything for the SIM cards. The only additional expense I anticipate incurring is the 2 weeks I simultaneously had the Koodo MB sim card (did not use it) and the Fido sim card. So in hindsight, I should have waited until closer to the end of my original billing cycle to initiate any of this.

Last edited by Morozee; 09-16-2015 at 04:23 PM.
Morozee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 04:17 PM   #87
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Well that was easy. Went to a Bestbuy Mobile store, told the guy I wanted a basic monthly plan with a 306 number on my Alberta address, and he had me setup in 10 minutes. Got home, immediately switched my plan through Koodo's self-serve portal, ported my 403 number from Bell which took about 20 minutes, and now I'm all set
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2015, 10:47 PM   #88
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I need a new phone so could I buy a Koodo phone with their tab while buying the Saskatchewan plan or do I need an unlocked phone to start?
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:17 AM   #89
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

You only need an unlocked phone to switch from another carrier.
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:59 PM   #90
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Get The $55 Koodo Sask/MB Plan in Alberta

Went to BestBuy mobile today, and they wouldn't give me an SK number, so I went strait to Koodo and they gave me an SK number on an AB plan no problem. Log into Koodo and 'cannot switch plans until next billing cycle' which is just in a few days. Should work I think.

Last edited by Ace; 10-09-2015 at 09:10 PM.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 05:17 PM   #91
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
Went to BestBuy mobile today, and they wouldn't give me an SK number, so I went strait to Koodo and they gave me an SK number on an AB plan no problem. Log into Koodo and 'cannot switch plans until next billing cycle' which is just in a few days. Should work I think.
Yup, I have been on the plan for awhile but I just went into a Koodo store the other day and signed my wife up to the cheapest Sask plan with a Sask number I could get. Tried the same thing and got the same message about having to wait until the next billing cycle. Will change the plan and port her number over then. Shouldn't be a problem I think.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:49 PM   #92
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Every time this thread is updated I think "Oh great, they caught onto us! Now its time to get a new phone plan..."
But then see that more people are still getting good success in transferring to the best phone plan available in Alberta (in my opinion).
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:42 PM   #93
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Yup, I have been on the plan for awhile but I just went into a Koodo store the other day and signed my wife up to the cheapest Sask plan with a Sask number I could get. Tried the same thing and got the same message about having to wait until the next billing cycle. Will change the plan and port her number over then. Shouldn't be a problem I think.
I think you just went wrong on the sask plan. The steps I took to do this twice in the span of a week, taking all of 30 min each time from sign up to the $48 plan was simple:

1: walk into store, ask for koodo sim

2: say you want it on the cheapest cheapest alberta plan (like $30)

3: when they ask you to pick a number, ask for a sask number. If they say they can't, just tell them to look. Its in their dropdown list of regions, just pick whatever, Regina. Don't matter.

4: complete your signup with all of your regular info including your regular billing address.

5: leave store with SIM in hand, go home (or I even did it in the parking lot), login to self serve after creating your account. Click "change plan". Because you have a 306 # the plan options for you will be SK. Look for the $48 unlimited, select, agree to the "your plan may no longer be available", and it says it is ready in 15 min, its pretty well right away.

6: once you've confirmed your plan has changed (look at your profile details), click "change my number". You can do this in the same sitting. Click "port an existing number". Find your account # from your old cell, click yes this is ok, and within minutes, you're set.

IF you do this the wrong way, as I learned, and you get an AB number and an AB plan, then you WILL have to wait for 3 months after asking for a SK number in self serve, and you will have to wait for a billing cycle after that for a plan change. The only way to get it to work, is to have the store rep take care of one huge step and assign an SK number right off the bat.

I found it easiest to just take and refund the SIM I screwed up on, and just redid the process the way I outlined above.
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aleks For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2015, 08:55 PM   #94
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

So basically if one of the big 3 came out with a solid plan for $60 per month people would all switch over?

Question is, why don't they?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:06 PM   #95
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
So basically if one of the big 3 came out with a solid plan for $60 per month people would all switch over?

Collusion.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:25 PM   #96
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The big three will always match prices.
That's why Sask and Man are lower - matching provincial competitors.
Quebec used to be as well, but Videotron joined them at the high end instead of making them match the low end. Why match at $55 when you can match at $95?
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 12:01 PM   #97
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
I think you just went wrong on the sask plan. The steps I took to do this twice in the span of a week, taking all of 30 min each time from sign up to the $48 plan was simple:

1: walk into store, ask for koodo sim

2: say you want it on the cheapest cheapest alberta plan (like $30)

3: when they ask you to pick a number, ask for a sask number. If they say they can't, just tell them to look. Its in their dropdown list of regions, just pick whatever, Regina. Don't matter.

4: complete your signup with all of your regular info including your regular billing address.

5: leave store with SIM in hand, go home (or I even did it in the parking lot), login to self serve after creating your account. Click "change plan". Because you have a 306 # the plan options for you will be SK. Look for the $48 unlimited, select, agree to the "your plan may no longer be available", and it says it is ready in 15 min, its pretty well right away.

6: once you've confirmed your plan has changed (look at your profile details), click "change my number". You can do this in the same sitting. Click "port an existing number". Find your account # from your old cell, click yes this is ok, and within minutes, you're set.

IF you do this the wrong way, as I learned, and you get an AB number and an AB plan, then you WILL have to wait for 3 months after asking for a SK number in self serve, and you will have to wait for a billing cycle after that for a plan change. The only way to get it to work, is to have the store rep take care of one huge step and assign an SK number right off the bat.

I found it easiest to just take and refund the SIM I screwed up on, and just redid the process the way I outlined above.
I did it exactly the way you mentioned above except they gave me a 639 number instead of a 306 number and I asked for the cheapest SASK plan to begin with. I think it may have to do with the fact I put the phone on my account that already has the plan so its going by my billing cycle. Will try again after November 1st and see if it will work then. Thanks for the help though, its appreciated.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:39 AM   #98
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Because the other 2 would be forced to do so, and you end up with the same strategic position except with a lot less revenue for the big 3.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:51 AM   #99
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Question for others who have done this, when I look at the SIM information on my phone it still has the 306 # it was originally setup with even weeks after porting my 403 number (which has been working fine). Tried taking the sim out, rebooting the phone, but it still has that 306 number hard coded on it. Not a real big deal, but it's a bit of a pain for any apps on my phone that try to read my phone # from the sim. Would be nice to force the 403 number over it
Old 10-16-2015, 10:05 PM   #100
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Update... Success!

Followed Aleks process basically.

-went to Best Buy mobile asked for an SK number and was refused.
-went directly to Koodo store and asked for a SK number and was given one no problem on an Alberta plan.
-logged into Koodo and got notice that can't change plan until next billing cycle which was about a week away.
-logged in a week later, picked awesome plan
-confirmed plan was active and then ported number.
-done