Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2021, 10:00 AM   #3701
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tried watching Halloween Kills.

Couldn't do it anymore. Made it to around the firefighter scene.

I'm getting pretty sick of movies in general though. Saw venom in the theaters, nothing really wrong with it I guess, just more if the same old, same old. Watched Noone gets out alive last night at home, again...just the same old, same old.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:02 AM   #3702
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Tried watching Halloween Kills.

Couldn't do it anymore. Made it to around the firefighter scene.

I'm getting pretty sick of movies in general though. Saw venom in the theaters, nothing really wrong with it I guess, just more if the same old, same old. Watched Noone gets out alive last night at home, again...just the same old, same old.
Sounds like someone needs to watch Snow Dogs and rediscover the joy of filmmaking.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:04 AM   #3703
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Sounds like someone needs to watch Snow Dogs and rediscover the joy of filmmaking.
You are a monster.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 05:34 PM   #3704
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I know alot of people don't like Halloween 3 because Myers isn't in it, but if you take it for what it is, it's a pretty fun 80s horror movie that is bonkers. Try not to think of it as Halloween 3 but as Season of the Witch, and you hopefully may have more fun with it.
Oh, no I hate the movie in every context.

The story is garbage (a Irish warlock uses chunks of Stonehenge to power computer chips to fire lazers which make kid's faces turn into bugs and snakes...? WTF), the dialogue is terrible, and the characters are all unlikeable. Plus it plays the god awful jingle 20 times throughout the movie.

I think it's bad / lazy writing and fails as any type of movie, especially horror.

An apt review: ''Halloween III'' manages the not easy feat of being anti-children, anti-capitalism, anti-television and anti-Irish all at the same time.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 06:08 PM   #3705
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hahaha fair enough AC I think we may have different taste in movies, which according to most people is probably a good thing for you
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
AC
Old 10-29-2021, 06:37 PM   #3706
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Hahaha fair enough AC I think we may have different taste in movies, which according to most people is probably a good thing for you
In terms of campy 80s/90s horror movies, I just watched this for the first time:

It was ridiculous but kind of incredible. A really unique twist on a creepy killer who starts taking people out during a horror movie marathon.

It doesn't have good ratings anywhere from what I can tell, but I really liked it. It stood out in a genre where it's hard to not just rehash the same tropes and ideas.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2021, 09:31 PM   #3707
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ohhhhh boy is Dune ever a gorgeous film. Literally every shot is a piece of art. With Hans Zimmer's score it was perfection. I do see why some people found it boring, but for me the world building was brilliant. My favourite movie in recent memory.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2021, 11:00 AM   #3708
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Ohhhhh boy is Dune ever a gorgeous film. Literally every shot is a piece of art. With Hans Zimmer's score it was perfection. I do see why some people found it boring, but for me the world building was brilliant. My favourite movie in recent memory.
My favorite thing about the score... there's a 3 note motif that is quoting the harmonica theme from Once Upon a Time in the West. Given that they're both stories about tradition vs. industry in a dusty and brutal frontier world, it's an awesome reference.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 01:38 PM   #3709
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

super interested to see how the Eternals does.

Hasn't received the best reviews however...but I do appreciate Zhao's eye and how they were trying to use real locations a lot more than previous marvel projects.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 01:42 PM   #3710
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife liked Dune which is surprising. But she has enjoyed more cerebral type sci-fi in the past like Interstellar and Arrival, I thought this one might be pushing it a bit though.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 03:42 PM   #3711
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Eternals looks completely uninteresting to me.

I'm over the mass production of superhero movies, but I'm sure it's like printing money for those involved basically so there's no end in sight.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2021, 03:45 PM   #3712
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

The only thing drawing me to Eternals is that Chloe Zhao directed and wrote it, and she is incredibly talented. But ya, I probably would have rather seen her do something not based on Marvel characters, which I have next to no appetite for.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 04:56 PM   #3713
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Eternals is the first Marvel movie I could see bombing, or at least as close as something coming from the Disney machine could come to bombing. Completely unknown characters to the general public, uninteresting casting, generic trailers, and now merely average reviews. I have zero interest in watching it as an MCU fan, and I don't think I'm alone. I probably will check it out once it hits Disney+ just to see how it ties in to the universe, but this will be the first MCU movie I don't make the trek to the theater for (aside from Black Widow, but that doesn't really count)
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2021, 08:26 PM   #3714
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went to see James Bond today. It was good, just not as good as I hoped it would be.

Had not read anything about the ending, so it was a moderate surprise.
Old 11-01-2021, 02:04 AM   #3715
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well I thought Shang Chi was rather meh and forgettable. Third act was really washed down with cgi dragons and such. Firmly within marvels comfort zone even though culturally you could say it branched out.

Hearing Eternal is possibly the most unique MCU entry yet and adds a lot of new theology, plus it has Kit and Richard.

So for those reasons I am onboard.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:41 AM   #3716
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'll usually watch all the Marvel stuff, goofy fun, I'm not even considering seeing Eternals.

The trailer with the cell phone ringing during the super hero meeting is such a cringey attempt at humor, "Seriously?" "How many bars do you get?" Ugh.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2021, 10:46 AM   #3717
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched the Witch last night. It was very good. Nice and creepy but lots of social commentary and lots to contemplate. I do love a morally ambiguous movie.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2021, 10:53 AM   #3718
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perhaps an odd choice but I watched a documentary on how Sesame Street was created called "Street Gang" last night. I highly recommend it.
It also caused me to think about how the world was robbed by Jim Henson's ongoing brilliance. Such as genius.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 11:22 AM   #3719
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ha! I watched Street Gang yesterday, really good. That show was progressive as hell in 1969.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 03:09 PM   #3720
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
I'll usually watch all the Marvel stuff, goofy fun, I'm not even considering seeing Eternals.

The trailer with the cell phone ringing during the super hero meeting is such a cringey attempt at humor, "Seriously?" "How many bars do you get?" Ugh.
Because in a world of tights and capes and laser beam eyes it should be all serious business.

I mean.. then you just get DC.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote