Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-30-2019, 10:19 AM   #1
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Help? system guard runtime monitor broker service CPU usage

Hey Tech forum,

Hoping someone here can help. My PC just started running at 70-75% RAM and this "system guard runtime monitor broker service" in my task manager seems to be the culprit. I've looked it up and doesnt appear to be a virus, but seems to be a common glitch with Windows 10. Most of the fixes claim to just end task and restart, but it won't allow me to end task. Other fixes claim it to be connected to the windows Photos app, which I've tried to remedy as well.

Any thoughts? Why can't I end a task on my own computer. It says 'access denied' when I try.
Old 11-30-2019, 04:07 PM   #2
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well you can't kill the service, it's whole point is to ascertain the integrity of the OS and prevent it being tampered with by malicious software. If you could just kill the process, it would be pretty bad at job #1.

I would start off with the easy stuff.

1. Click Start, type 'cmd' then click 'Run as Administrator' in the right hand pane (or right-click and select it from the context menu).
2. Type WSRESET and press [Enter]. This will run the Windows Store reset application, which clears the cache and can sometimes weed out weird issues like this. The Store and Modern Apps are still incredibly temperamental especially considering they have been with us since July 2015.
3. Type SFC /SCANNOW and press [Enter]. Let the application run through its paces.
4. When that's done, type DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and hit [Enter] … again, let it run, it'll take a bit but at least it gives a nice progress bar to let you know it isn't dead.
5. Finally, restart and report back.

If the problem isn't resolved after this, you might need to run the SFC /SCANNOW and DISM commands from a recovery console, which you can get to by going into All Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Advanced startup and click the 'Restart Now' button. You'll see a screen that says 'Choose an option', select 'Troubleshoot' and 'Advanced Options' and 'Command Prompt'. Omit the '/Online' switch from DISM if you go this route.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2019, 08:54 PM   #3
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

This was a great help. Started me down a path and it looks like I'll have to manually replace a bunch of corrupted files. And yeah mostly Windows App related glitches. What a PITA.

Appreciate you taking the time to type that out. for reference, there is a .exe after the DISM in your 4th step, but I appreciate you getting me started. Thanks!
Old 11-30-2019, 11:19 PM   #4
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If you don't use any Windows apps then disable all background apps and remove...Photos I think it is. Either way they are responsible for the high CPU usage on that process.

I don't have that process running on any of my systems.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 01:08 AM   #5
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
This was a great help. Started me down a path and it looks like I'll have to manually replace a bunch of corrupted files. And yeah mostly Windows App related glitches. What a PITA.

Appreciate you taking the time to type that out. for reference, there is a .exe after the DISM in your 4th step, but I appreciate you getting me started. Thanks!

Did you disable windows tips, that can cause problems, Plus chances are you don't need the tips.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:16 AM   #6
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ Yeah I had tried all the basic fixes I could find anywhere. Was about to dive into TorqueDog's final note but decided I would call Microsoft first. They were actually very helpful and the computer is back to normal now. Basically re-installed whatever update caused the issue.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:52 PM   #7
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

DISM has a .exe after it but you don't need to put it for it to run correctly. Same with SFC.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote