Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2019, 05:31 AM   #201
DMac
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Kipper is overrated. He had a few good seasons and one out of his mind 2/3 of a season. I’m not sure he even makes my list for guys getting their number retired. FaF at best.

Don’t get me wrong, I loved the guy and his super chill attitude but I think it hurt the team at times. It gets tiring when his poor stats in multiple seasons are rationalized as being completely the fault of the team in front of him. I also think that, somewhat similar to complaints about Johnny, if he’d taken things more seriously he may have been as good as his skill set sometimes allowed him to be.

People talk about Iggy not being a guy who was desperate to win based on some of his lacklustre defensive play and where he chose to play after Calgary but really it was Kipper who didn’t care about winning all that much.
I agree with this. Best goaltender I have seen wear the Flames kit while playing his best years as a Flame. But did not impact the game (record gaa being the exception) or change Flames history (one unsuccessful run) to deserve to have his jersey forever in the rafters.

Do not get me started on the Vernon jersey retirement. His best years arguably were as a Red Wing co-goaltender with Chris Osgood. Flames success in late 80s wasn’t a result of our brilliant goaltending (neither Vernon nor others) in my (toddler) view.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:02 AM   #202
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Regular season save percentages of 903, 906, 903, 882. Playoff sv % of 908 and 884 including getting pulled after not showing up in game 7.

That’s 4 good seasons, 1 out of his mind season and 4 bad seasons, only 1 of which was excusable.

Sorry but he’s not an all time great.
In this case stats don’t really tell the whole story. And of course goalie stats are very much influenced by team defense. Kipper was definitely elite for the majority of his time. The Flames just frankly weren’t that great for a lot of his tenure even though he was our most important player.

Did you watch all of Kpper in his prime? Your argument smacks of someone just looking at the stats. Although I know bizarrely enough SebC thought the same thing and I know he was watching Kipper.

Pretty bad take. It’s an unpopular opinion and for good reason, you are out to lunch on that one. This one and the Valimaki is overrated take the cake.

/thread
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 09:15 AM   #203
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kipper was crazy good, and played behind a pretty bad team for a lot of years. The Sutter take of "we're one piece away from a Cup" was well wrong. That team was a Kiprusoff injury away from a lottery pick, and that would have done them a world of good. Trading picks and prospects for that "we might win it this year" strategy was awful.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:26 AM   #204
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Kipper is not overrated. The guy was averaging 75 games played a year for god sake. That's a ridiculous workload for a goalie and he played out of his mind for so many games in front of terrible teams. The Flames would probably have a couple bottom 3 finishes if it weren't for him.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 10:01 AM   #205
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The Flames is not a great name for a hockey team. Inherited from Atlanta, did it ever fit Calgary?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 10:12 AM   #206
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
The Flames is not a great name for a hockey team. Inherited from Atlanta, did it ever fit Calgary?
The Olympics were coming - torch, flames...
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:20 AM   #207
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The Olympics were coming - torch, flames...
Natural Gas. Blue Flame, Green Future!

The question really is.... why didn't we change from red and yellow when moving from Atlanta?
Buff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:23 AM   #208
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well then I may as well double down. I want to reiterate, I loved Kipper and am by no means saying he was bad or anything but in the pantheon of goaltenders he’s definitely not part of the elite of his era. Not consistent enough.
Kiprusoff played 70+ games SEVEN years in a row.

Not coincidentally, the one time he played a reasonable amount of games (39), the Flames nearly won a Stanley Cup. With roster that had about as much depth as an above ground pool.

It's also not a coincidence that his Vezina season was the one time he got an extended break - 17 days in the middle of February to rest his hip, instead of going to the Olympics.

If Darryl had recognized the most important thing to get this group was a goalie who could play 30 games, they might have cashed one in.

It was always obvious, right around the 60-game mark, when Kipper would start letting in goals that made no earthly sense, that he was burned out.

Kipper wasn't overrated. He, like Iginla, couldn't do everything himself, but that's essentially what he was asked.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 10-07-2019 at 04:46 PM.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 10:24 AM   #209
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

There should only be two numbers retired by the Flames: 12 & 2.

Flames 2nd line is not good enough to go deep into the playoffs. Trade first rounder for upgrade on 2C, and have Tkachuk and Bennett play on the 2nd line with the future 2C.

Mangipane will never find his NHL game and will fizzle into obscurity.

Section 103, 104 & 105 should be standing room only, $35 general admission zone 18+. That would make for a raucous crowd. Shove all the toffs to the center ice areas and 2nd bowl and let the working class fans cheer the team on.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:39 AM   #210
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Didn't the Flames have a year with Kipper where they didn't get one win from a backup goalie??
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:40 AM   #211
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
Didn't the Flames have a year with Kipper where they didn't get one win from a backup goalie??
I'm pretty sure McElihenny got a win on the 82nd (and completely meaningless) game of the season.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...000432009.html would have been 2008-2009 season.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:42 AM   #212
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
There should only be two numbers retired by the Flames: 12 & 2...
9???

I am well aware that McDonald was not a world class player of the same caliber as Iginla and MacInnes, but he was pretty good in his own right, he captained the best Flames teams in history, and he was for decades the most iconic individual player of the franchise. He is a member of the HHOF.

If course McDonald’s number was deservedly retired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 10:58 AM   #213
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn’t like Lanny much and still don’t. How’s that for unpopular?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 11:05 AM   #214
mennoknight
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I didn’t like Lanny much and still don’t. How’s that for unpopular?
it's also dumb
Old 10-07-2019, 11:10 AM   #215
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
9???

I am well aware that McDonald was not a world class player of the same caliber as Iginla and MacInnes, but he was pretty good in his own right, he captained the best Flames teams in history, and he was for decades the most iconic individual player of the franchise. He is a member of the HHOF.

If course McDonald’s number was deservedly retired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love Lanny as much as the next guy, but retirements are for truly special players. Al is a Conn Smythe winner and had 822 points 809 in regular season games as a d-man. Still the all-time Flames assist leader. Almost 1,000 PIMs to boot. A renowned slap shot.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:15 AM   #216
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lanny had 75 points or more 8 times in his career, but only once with the Flames.

His legacy in Calgary has continued on due to his many contributions since he retired.

He is deservedly a HHOF, but that legacy started before he was a Flame.

But his number should definitely have been retired by the Flames.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 11:15 AM   #217
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well then I may as well double down. I want to reiterate, I loved Kipper and am by no means saying he was bad or anything but in the pantheon of goaltenders he’s definitely not part of the elite of his era. Not consistent enough.
Stats for goalies in NHL from 2004-2012

Kind of shows that he was pretty elite in his era.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 11:15 AM   #218
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jankowski will be the 2nd line center we've been missing in a few seasons.

Brodie is better than fans give him credit. Resign him at $5M+.

Bennett should have been traded a few seasons ago. Management messed that up badly.

James Neal is the real deal. One bad season. Flames gave up way too soon. Lucic will be a disaster and Neal will be the top 6 winger we'll covet and never be able to replace for seasons to come.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pepper24 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2019, 11:34 AM   #219
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kipper was an elite goaltender for almost the entirety of his Flames career. The only issue I see was that over the 2nd half of his career the 70+ games a year workload was probably too much as he was not very good in his last two playoff appearances.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:42 AM   #220
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennoknight View Post
it's also dumb
I have my reasons, so, whether you agree or not, its not:

a. Overhyped - that always bugs me. Including by himself - which does it even more.
c. The ads - the fur company, the muffler company, etc. Terrible.
d. Gifted management and other positions in the Flames and Hockey Canada which he did not earn and which, of course, he performed badly.
e. Mostly, however, how his name got his mother off scott free in a terrible accident which killed someone.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post: