Exp:

Would not be surprised to see Sutter next year
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 11:57 PM   #402
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another horrible playoff moment for the Flames. 1980 till now it is just misery interrupted by very rare moments of greatness.

I just cannot stand another game like this. All those deflections bounces high sticks whatever.

It's been painful being a Flames fan. Some truly awful playoff moments.

I will watch the next one. Can't look away. But will expect to lose in some new and perverse way.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aeneas For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 11:57 PM   #403
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Will be Interesting where thing go from here. Winnipeg lost similar series to Anaheim in 2015.

How do the 2015 Jets and 2017 Flames compare? Cause Winnipeg has not been good since.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:57 PM   #404
BlackWallStreet
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What a joke never been so disappointed
BlackWallStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:57 PM   #405
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
At least this brutal post season has eliminated any questions about Monahan that people might have had.

I guess that's the one silver lining.
Monahan and Bennett have been great. Really pleased with the play of two of the younger forwards on the team. Not enough from Gaudreau and the Backlund line has been silent as well. Not enough guys with their games in top form this series.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 11:57 PM   #406
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Back from the game, the mist dissapointing loss I've ever attended at the Dome. Going to game 4, not even looking forward to it, feels like a meaningless per season game at this point.

Thoughts: everyone played very well with the following key exceptions:
- Elliott once again is the goat for me. Feeling he played his last game as a Flame tonight. Got to try Johnson and IMO his inconsistent season followed by costing his team two games hasn't earned him a new contract here. I actually don't know how you can bring him back, he'd constantly be fighting the goat horns with this team. That said finding our goalie solution is going to be tough, really too bad Elliott didn't work outs

- Hamilton has been a disaster. If he's not taking dumb penalties, he's just lost out there.

- Though Frolik wasnt good tonight either.
Good post. Frolik should be a playoff performer but Versteeg for example is significantly outplaying him. Hamilton has got all this skill but seems like he's not ready to be counted on like this.

Johnny has been OK but just not a difference maker in this series.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 11:57 PM   #407
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiggy77 View Post
How would you suggest to adjust? (Serious question)
Elliott should not have been in net to start the 3rd period. He was looking flaky and the team was sagging something had to change.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:57 PM   #408
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

I just want the Flames to take their pound of flesh...and who knows?...1 game at a time.

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:57 PM   #409
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol win four straight including two straight in Anaheim
Old 04-17-2017, 11:57 PM   #410
Flamenfame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanisleflamesfan View Post
No no, I disagree. Find a few more 30+, slow as hell, soft as a wet fart, over-the-hill, washed up "character" veterans and pay them multiple millions on long term contracts.
That is a great way to screw your cap in the future. I can see that changing GM's in the future look at Erickson Brouwer Clarkson deals so risky when players are past their prime .
Flamenfame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:58 PM   #411
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambeburger View Post
I pay over 2 grand every year in tickets. I think I can find a more fulfilling use of money than watching my favourite team get jobbed by video reviews night in and night out. Seriously this is garbage.
They did themselves few favours, but have you ever seen Gulutzan win a challenge? He can't be that inept (even if he's a bargain bin coach that may grow into the role)... and those are typically game changers.

I feel like the Flames won't get a fair shake until #6 has been off the roster for a while. The fact that no one has corrected this bias makes me disgusted as a fan of the Flames and the NHL.

Before anyone says 0 PPs for Anaheim tonight, they didn't deserve any. The Flames played a remarkably clean game.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 11:58 PM   #412
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
What are you talking about.

The Flames weren't penalized once this game. Not once.

Gulutzan insists on playing our third pairing and our fourth line way too many minutes every single game. They are the direct reason we are down 3-0 right now.

Then, add Ellliott's .816 save percentage tonight and you lose 5-4.

The Flames shut it down at the ten minute mark of the second period and started playing their bottom players. The Ducks kept coming.

The Ducks score a ##### goal with less than a minute left in the second, that Elliott needs to have. Then the Flames come out and play our third pairing AND fourth line like idiots until the Ducks eventually tie the game.

If I'm coaching, as soon as that second goal goes in and Elliott looks shaky, thats the last time Bartkowski and Engelland touch the ice. It's the last time the fourth line touches the ice.

I don't give a crap about "energy". The fact is they get dominated every damn time they are on the ice. That's coaching. Not players. Gulutzan is getting dominated by Carlyle this series and it isn't even close.

Watch what happens next series against Edmonton or San Jose. I guarantee that the top players for both of the aforementioned are going to dominate ice time. As they FREAKING SHOULD. ITS THE PLAYOFFS GULLY!!!!! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU WAITING FOR!!!!!

What are you saving the legs for Gully? You need to make damn sure we win the game. Not leave it up to several fire drills in your own end as a direct result of your player deployment.

People are going to blame certain players this series, that's fine. But I honestly think they are to a large part victims of the circumstances they are put in.

Lets honestly look at our player deployment.

We are playing a 6th dman journeyman (Engelland) and an AHL PTO defenseman (Bartkowski) close to 15 minutes a night. We play our fourth line way too much as well. Combine that, and you give Anaheim way too many opportunities to gain momentum and get back into games.

I put this series on two factors.

1. Getting terrible goaltending.
2. Getting out coached.

Can't have both of those and expect to win. Here's to signing Ben Bishop in the offseason, and launching the third pairing and fourth line into the sun.

If Gulutzan can't figure out how to properly ride his big guns, then he needs to go too.
This is an amazing post. Thank you.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 11:59 PM   #413
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

Elliott is flat out garbage. Flames should be up 2-1 in this series if not for garbage goaltending letting in at least two crap goals a game in the last two games.

No way can they sign him again. A tutor shooter would do a better job.

Having said that, great choke job you loser sack of crap players. This team deserves to be swept and laughed at as the imposters they are.
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:59 PM   #414
IntenseFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Go drunk, you're home
Oh piss off you Millennial ####. Stop projecting.

Here's one for you: You have no value. You have no worth. You are useless as person and in life.

Last edited by IntenseFan; 04-18-2017 at 12:02 AM.
IntenseFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IntenseFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 11:59 PM   #415
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiggy77 View Post
How would you suggest to adjust? (Serious question)

I really can't fault Gulutzan other than adjusting some shift times (still the best players spent the most time on the ice). A lot of bad puck luck, Johnny not playing to his capabilities, Elliott letting in some softies, some dumb plays by other players all seem to cause.
Shorten the bench and play your top 3 lines and top 4 dmen in the third.

Pull Elliott after the second period and start Johnson.

Call a time out after the third goal and give the players a chance to rethink how they are playing.

Sit Johnny in the third as he was doing nothing but creating turnovers and bad passes.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:59 PM   #416
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Win next game convincingly, with a 60 minute drubbing. Only way there is any hope for the series. It has to be one of those momentum-changing sort of games.

Can't just squeak one out, they need to show themselves that they can shut the Ducks down for a complete game, and go from there with evidence of success under their belts.

I'll be there cheering them on loud and proud. But if that's it, pretty sure I'm done for a while.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:59 PM   #417
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
As they FREAKING SHOULD. ITS THE PLAYOFFS GULLY!!!!! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU WAITING FOR!!!!!

I put this series on two factors.

1. Getting terrible goaltending.
2. Getting out coached.

If Gulutzan can't figure out how to properly ride his big guns, then he needs to go too.
I agree with everything you said in your post, I just highlight these. And I would put Getting out coached as number 1
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:59 PM   #418
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

How many teams have given up leads in this playoffs? Ottawa did, Edmonton did, a few others that I can't remember.

Every team is so close. Every team is so good. Its easy for us to say, "Well, they should have held the lead!" "Well, they should have killed the penalty!" Oplosing teams just don't roll over this time of year. You know the ducks are going to pounce on any opportunity, because thats what playoff teams do. Maybe it was the late goal in the 2nd that gave them life, but what looked like a pretty illegal high stick and a chincy call on Hamilton to decide game 2, you can't blame fans for being frustrated with things.

Full stop Elliott has to be better. Every other team seems to be getting heroics, but Elliott went full Hiller in game 3.

In 2015 I wasn't even mad. We didn't even belong there. I feel like this could be a 2-1 series for the Flames. They have played well enough for that. Can't blame people for venting.

As far as penalties go, did the Flames play a clean game? Nope. But were the infractions largely lopsided towards the Ducks? I would say so, especially late in the game.

Only issue I have with the refs tonight was their on ice call for the high stick goal.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:59 PM   #419
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Occam's Razor
Wasn't aware you were a scholar?

You should also check out Bertrand Russell's "The Principles of Mathematics" to see what I'm talking about with respect to the NHL War room and their understanding of basic dimensions in relation to their own rulebook.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:00 AM   #420
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Elliott should not have been in net to start the 3rd period. He was looking flaky and the team was sagging something had to change.
4-2 lead, I don't think I've ever seen any coach in the NHL changing their goalie at that time. If Johnson went in and let 3 off the bat cuz of no warmup, GG would get eaten alive in that scenario.