Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2010, 12:03 AM   #301
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Real good chat with Matt Pelech today. He's a great interview and has a great attitude.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:18 PM   #302
Beerfest
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How many shutouts does Irving have this year?
The guy at the end of the video says he has three (after Wednesday's game)

But hockeydb and the AHL's site say he only has two.
Beerfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #303
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfest View Post
How many shutouts does Irving have this year?
The guy at the end of the video says he has three (after Wednesday's game)

But hockeydb and the AHL's site say he only has two.
Looking at the game-by-game stats, he as two shutouts.

http://theahl.com/stats/gamebygame.php?id=1855

Great year, so far. Kipper may be the closest the Flames have to irreplaceable, but is Irving almost ready to be a full-timer in the NHL? 2011-2012?
Johnny Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Rotten For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2010, 02:43 PM   #304
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stone making his debut for the Heat tonight on the top line with Matt Keith and Stefen Meyer. He will play centre.

Patterson is back tonight after missing 9 games. Seabrook will also be back after missing 5 games.

This is going to be a hell of a lineup tonight! Nemisz, Bouma, Bancks, Patterson, Brodie, Pelech. The whole damn crew is back finally!
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2010, 01:23 AM   #305
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just some notes on tonights Heat game:

Awesome game tonight! They won 4-3 in OT. Huge crowd tonight (for Abbotsford standards) at 4805. The crowd was loud and I was a little surprised by the turnout tonight.

Pelech got a beautiful pass from Keith as he was coming out of the penalty box and scored on an awesome deke on a breakaway. Pelech has scored 2 games in a row now.

Nemisz was a workhorse tonight. He had 7 shots on net, scored a short handed goal, assisted on the game winner in OT, and got first star. I'm really liking the way he's progressed. He's far more physical (a common complaint about Nemisz these days). It seems that whenever the play starts to become too sloppy and no one can complete a passes, Playfair puts Nemisz out on the ice and he seems to correct the way everyone around him plays.

Dawes ended up scoring 2 goals this game to come from behind to tie it up.

In OT, the Wolves took a penalty. Seabrook took a beautiful shot from the point with Nemisz screening in front to win the game.

Patterson had limited ice time, but there was no quit in him tonight.

Stone's debut was pretty good considering he hasn't played since March. He had even scored a goal tonight, but it was called off because Bouma got an interference penalty in front of the net. However, he was a bit slow which is to be expected.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #306
kirant
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Nemisz was a workhorse tonight. He had 7 shots on net, scored a short handed goal, assisted on the game winner in OT, and got first star. I'm really liking the way he's progressed. He's far more physical (a common complaint about Nemisz these days). It seems that whenever the play starts to become too sloppy and no one can complete a passes, Playfair puts Nemisz out on the ice and he seems to correct the way everyone around him plays.
I know the other common complaint about Nemisz is his skating speed (in particular his lateral mobility). Is that a concern at the moment?
Old 12-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #307
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
I know the other common complaint about Nemisz is his skating speed (in particular his lateral mobility). Is that a concern at the moment?
With the amount of shorthanded goals and assists he has, i don't think speed is a problem. And seeing him first hand I never thought it was.
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #308
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm View Post
With the amount of shorthanded goals and assists he has, i don't think speed is a problem. And seeing him first hand I never thought it was.
From the few times I've seen him (very few), certainly the WJC games and some of the pre-season games. He is by no means quick, but certainly won't get left behind.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #309
jeremywilhelm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STeeLy View Post
From the few times I've seen him (very few), certainly the WJC games and some of the pre-season games. He is by no means quick, but certainly won't get left behind.
Your sig always makes me laugh.
jeremywilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #310
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirant View Post
He's getting there. For a 6'4" kid, he's starting to pick up some speed. More important than speed, in my opinion, is his acceleration. I believe his acceleration is what has helped him score all of those shorthanded goals.

I just can't believe it's his debut season in pro hockey and he's doing this well.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:10 PM   #311
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just some notes on tonights Heat game:

Awesome game tonight! They won 4-3 in OT. Huge crowd tonight (for Abbotsford standards) at 4805. The crowd was loud and I was a little surprised by the turnout tonight.

Pelech got a beautiful pass from Keith as he was coming out of the penalty box and scored on an awesome deke on a breakaway. Pelech has scored 2 games in a row now.

Dawes ended up scoring 2 goals this game to come from behind to tie it up.

In OT, the Wolves took a penalty. Seabrook took a beautiful shot from the point with Nemisz screening in front to win the game.

Patterson had limited ice time, but there was no quit in him tonight.

Stone's debut was pretty good considering he hasn't played since March. He had even scored a goal tonight, but it was called off because Bouma got an interference penalty in front of the net. However, he was a bit slow which is to be expected.

Glad you guys are getting to see the Nemisz I know so well.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:23 AM   #312
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

has nemisz been lining up at center or the wing this year?
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:04 PM   #313
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
has nemisz been lining up at center or the wing this year?
Both actually. The Heat don't have the greatest faceoff guys, including Nemisz. From what I've seen it depends on who is playing on Nemisz's line that night. If say, he's playing with Bouma, Patterson, or Laing, he won't be playing center. However, if he's on a line with Rheault, Bancks, or Keith, he'll play center.

I also see that Playfair often lets him take the faceoffs, if not play center for the entire shift on the powerplay and penalty kill (yes, he plays both because he's that good).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2010, 10:39 AM   #314
Flame4Ever
RIP Mickey

Exp:

Glad to see he's playing with a bit more physicality. He was definitely incosistant in that department in the OHL. I think Mike Knuble/ Andrew Burnette with average NHL speed are very good comparables for Nemisz.
Flame4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #315
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Any news about how Howse is making out with tryouts?
Johnny Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:33 PM   #316
Patrick
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rotten View Post
Any news about how Howse is making out with tryouts?
I believe he got a goal today.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Patrick For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2010, 10:43 PM   #317
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Michael Ferland fight.

Takes three gives one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi9_KNPGkcU
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:58 PM   #318
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas View Post
Michael Ferland fight.

Takes three gives one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi9_KNPGkcU
You start linking through the rest of Ferland's fights and it looks like the kid can really fight...and he goes all out too, reminds me of Wendel Clark (fighting at least)..

Hopefully he develops his hockey skills and becomes a legitimate player. I'd love to see him, Bouma and Bancks terrorize the NHL as an energy line for the Flames in the future.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:49 PM   #319
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Nemisz sounds like he's going to be an excellent player for the Flames one day...really excited about him.

Pierre McGuire would say that he "gets it"
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #320
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Nemisz sounds like he's going to be an excellent player for the Flames one day...really excited about him.

Pierre McGuire would say that he "gets it"
He gets it.