Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2010, 07:03 PM   #21
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Windows Vista - Pentium 2.2 Ghz - 2.8 GB RAM - Direct X 10 - Nvidia GeForce 7100/ NForce 630i
2.2Ghz isn't helping, but that's an integrated graphics card and that's what's really killing you.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #22
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Installed this game and it is slooooow. Mouse/cursor very choppy.

Windows Vista - Pentium 2.2 Ghz - 2.8 GB RAM - Direct X 10 - Nvidia GeForce 7100/ NForce 630i

I thought I installed updates for Direct X and Nvidia, but directxdiag shows the same versions I had before

This sucks.
Is that a single or dual core 2.2GHz? Come on Mr. Lawyer, you can spring for a new processor and graphics card. Driver and DX updates won't make any tangible difference for you unfortunately.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #23
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Installed this game and it is slooooow. Mouse/cursor very choppy.

I thought I installed updates for Direct X and Nvidia, but directxdiag shows the same versions I had before

This sucks.
Also, there is an option to reduce Mouse Lag in the options so make sure you check that. It made quite a difference for me.
FlamesPuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:24 PM   #24
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Is that a single or dual core 2.2GHz? Come on Mr. Lawyer, you can spring for a new processor and graphics card. Driver and DX updates won't make any tangible difference for you unfortunately.
Dual core. Assume I don't know anything. What do I need to get? Is it software or hardware?

How can a good computer be obsolete in less than a year? Why don't they design games that work on relatively older computers?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:26 PM   #25
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesPuck12 View Post
Also, there is an option to reduce Mouse Lag in the options so make sure you check that. It made quite a difference for me.
I tried something like that. What exactly did you do? I think it is more a graphics card problem. When there were a lot of units, the game slowed down.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #26
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Beast - what do I do? I want to kick your ass soon.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #27
I_am_Beast
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Beast - what do I do? I want to kick your ass soon.
make sure your not running other programs in the background, but it sounds like you need to update your videocard, if the lower quality settings arn't improving your game play...

BTW it will take you along time before you can kick my ass.....
I_am_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I_am_Beast For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #28
flamesfan6
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Dual core. Assume I don't know anything. What do I need to get? Is it software or hardware?

How can a good computer be obsolete in less than a year? Why don't they design games that work on relatively older computers?
because games look better on good graphic cards and not integrated graphic cards. Games will never be designed to work well for integrated graphic cards.
flamesfan6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:57 PM   #29
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Troutman, over the years I have found that upgrading video cards has a much more effect than processors in regards to gaming upgrades. I have heard the GTX 460 hits a nice performance versus price point right now.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3809/n...he-200-king/19

I also tend to like solid numbers for some reason and this thread is nice to compare CPU's/GPU's specifically for Starcraft:

http://www.techspot.com/review/305-s...2-performance/

If you end getting a new machine, I'd recommend a solid state hard drive too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_Jz7IMwBt4

(I'm not an expert but more of a dabbler in this field though.)
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:59 PM   #30
FlamingStuffedTiger
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

Its mainly your hardware and in all likelihood your graphics card specifically that is the issue. It isn't so much that your computer is obsolete. Its just that you need to add a decent dedicated graphics card to be able to play games like SC2. The integrated graphics card in your computer fills the niche of a modern day office computer nicely, allowing you to hook up larger and higher resolution monitors without the bother of having a dedicated unit just to process graphical stuff (which most people don't need at work). These computers are well equipped to handle your daily office workload and perhaps a bit more, but most of them just were not designed with gaming in mind. Adding the right dedicated card will instantly give your office machine the ability to also play modern games as long as the other components in there are also able to keep up.

Unfortunately, whether or not you can add a a particular card to your PC often depends on what kinds of stuff you have inside.

~ Calvin & Hobbes ~

Last edited by FlamingStuffedTiger; 08-08-2010 at 10:02 PM.
FlamingStuffedTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:06 AM   #31
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:

It's not so much that a good computer is obsolete but your computer was never designed for gaming in the first place. Even a 3 years ago, that computer would not have been good for gaming.

Unfortunately, with the way computers are sold, most manufacturers skimp out on the graphics card to cut costs as most consumers won't notice it and by the time they realize they want to play something, they realize they should have bought something else earlier or have to purchase a better graphics card or other hardware (faster CPU, more ram, better powersupply).

That said, a gaming capable computer can always be had very cheaply. I bet for what you paid for that computer a year ago, you could have had a decent gaming PC, you just bought the wrong one.

Right now, your best option is to buy a new dedicated 3D graphics card since you are running on integrated video. Do you know how many watts your powersupply is? Do you know if your motherboard has a full size PCI-E slot? If so you can probably spend $100-$200 and get a decent mid-tier graphics card for SC2, plug it in, and be good to go.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 08-09-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #32
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Thanks everyone. Will look into a a good graphics card.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:51 AM   #33
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Threads like these make me wonder why anyone would play games on a computer.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:54 AM   #34
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Why? They are much better on PC, besides you can't even buy this game for consoles. Most people having issues have older machines that could probably use an upgrade. My 3 year old machine which only cost $800 to put together runs it fairly well.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #35
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Has anyone ever made a real time strategy game for a console that didn't suck?
Phaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #36
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Blizzard games are very forgiving. Sadly, integrated graphics chips are not.

Unfortunately the problem is your computer, not the game. Even if Starcraft came out last year you wouldn't have been able to run it. It's simply not built to handle anything more than extreme spider solitaire.

But as others have said, probably all you need to do is add a graphics card.
Quote:
You can thank PC manufacturers for that. Do your research. Don't buy the first $500 Bestbuy special that you see.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #37
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'm the exact opposite. I wonder why anyone would play on a console.

Computers are much more powerful, you can do more than 1 thing on them and have a lot of possibilities when it comes to gaming, moreso than a console imo.

Games are easier to mod which is a huge thing for me. Games that open themselves up to the motivated people of the internet to spend countless hours on user made mods or addons benefit greatly.

The controls on a computer are superior. Keyboard + Mouse will always be tops for fps as well as a plethora of other genres. The only games I feel benefit from a controller are fighting/racing/sports games and you can always purchase a controller.

I abhor the controller setup. I am way way more at home with a keyboard and mouse. That combined with the easy ability to mod your games are the two key selling features for me that outweigh anything that consoles have to offer.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #38
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Huge community, freedom, user mods, user maps, you aren't chained to your box or the dictates of the company, chained to DLCs, buying whatever crap consoles shove at you, you already own a computer most likely, why not spend a little extra to be able to play the best games. The ability to make your own maps, mods, or even make your own games with game editors. You have freedom to use whatever hardware you choose, freedom to use mouse, keyboard, or any controller you choose, play on any display you want, have multiple displays and games that span 3 displays, 3D display already supported, etc.

When have you done this on your console?

Or been able to make your own games or anything you want with the included tools and resources.

One of the best part of SC2 right now is the user made games, you can goto custom games and there are tons of random user made games from Tower Defense games to Starcraft Chess to racing games, to RPGs, and even a 2D sidescrolling beat-em-up all made with the Starcraft engine and resources.

I also wonder why anybody would play games on a console, it's a like a ball and chain.

If you already own a mid to decent PC, just put a graphics card in and you can play most games. It's likely already your media center. It's also where you do your work, browsing, surf, CP, etc. why not do it all in once place? On the one piece of equipment in your home that you have the freedom to make it do almost anything you want.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 08-09-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:26 PM   #39
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

All that's cool. I like video games well enough, but really, I don't want the huge input costs; technical, financial and time that goes into play games on a computer. Waste of time and money.

I'd prefer the one time input and upfront cost and then go on from there.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:32 PM   #40
Mirajj
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I got this, and being a story junkie, put it onto "casual" mode and blew through the storyline. I have to say, I was really wondering why I would be interested in buying the Zerg and Protoss "versions" that are coming out later, but now I have to say, I'm going to, for sure. I have to know what happens! The story is very well done and I'm well hooked. Working through the Campaign now on "hard".

I have tried the multiplayer/online stuff, and, as ever, get my butt whomped in the first 5 minutes of the game. I just don't build fast enough, my Single Player roots have always shone through in Multiplayer settings.

Though an addition I like in this version is that at the end of the match, along with all the rest of the ratings and the whatnot telling me I'm a terrible multiplayer, they now have build orders for all players. That is something I find very handy, and am actually improving my game a bit as I have a look and see what the opponent did that I didn't.
Mirajj is offline   Reply With Quote