Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 11:00 AM   #12741
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

You guys really think Lou is going to give up a 1st + Eberle for Brodie?

Really?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 11:13 AM   #12742
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
What are people’s thoughts of something around Brodie and Eberle+our 1st back?
Alternately do you think the Islanders would take a massive overpayment for RW Josh Bailey?

Realistically if the Flames paid through the nose for him before July 1st, I wouldn't be mad as it makes Calgary an even more attractive landing spot for Tavares.

Guadreau - Tavares - Bailey

Edit: Let me pose that question differently. Hypothetically Josh Bailey probably isn't considered untouchable in New York so...

What do you think it would take to get Josh Bailey, the 28 year old RW who played alongside Tavares' for 2 seasons, and newly re-signed to a 5 mil/6 year contract?
What would that package look like?
Would you trade that package knowing that the Flames chances of signing Tavares increase that much more?

Last edited by Mattman; 05-24-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-24-2018, 11:23 AM   #12743
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
Eberle for only one year? I think he slots into our right side quite well, but that leaves only Gio for legit LHD on the team. I can't see the Flames moving Brodie unless they have plans to find someone else to play #2 LHD.
Valimaki or Kiylington possibly
Old 05-24-2018, 11:30 AM   #12744
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol, oh CP. Brodie does not get you Eberle and our 1st back. The Isles giving our first back for Brodie is already pushing it.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 11:32 AM   #12745
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
You guys really think Lou is going to give up a 1st + Eberle for Brodie?

Really?
60pt winger making $6M per for a 40pt Dman making $4.65

Better contract, more important position which is why the pick is coming back to us.

Not sure what Lou’s plans are but doing some digging sounds like no matter what happens with JT the Isles will try and compete next year
Old 05-24-2018, 11:44 AM   #12746
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

Better contract, more important position which is why the pick is coming back to us.

Not sure what Lou’s plans are but doing some digging sounds like no matter what happens with JT the Isles will try and compete next year
I mean, A pick, maybe. But a first? No way.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:30 PM   #12747
Toonage

Exp:

I've often said that people will be surprised by the return the Flames likely get for Brodie (if they move him). There were so many people here so down on Brodie they figured he couldn't be given away or so it seemed.

Now we're seeing the opposite. Overvaluing Brodie.

Add to that the idea that the Flames will somehow fleece Lou Lamoriello of all people.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:41 PM   #12748
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've often said that people will be surprised by the return the Flames likely get for Brodie (if they move him). There were so many people here so down on Brodie they figured he couldn't be given away or so it seemed.

Now we're seeing the opposite. Overvaluing Brodie.

Add to that the idea that the Flames will somehow fleece Lou Lamoriello of all people.
This is why I want Dougie moves over Brodie. If we move Brodie for a guy like Eberle, Pacioretty, Simmmonds straight up that would be a disaster. Then we are overpaying these guys for their past prime years.

Hamonic had a disastrous season and still generated a bidding war that resulted in him being moved for a 1st and 2 2nds. I remember when the Hamonic rumors first surfaced they wanted Brodie in return and the universal response was that is a no go from the Flames. Brodie is still a 30-40pt Dman that saw big minutes and tough matchups. Why would the Flames sell him for a winger with a year left on his deal?
Old 05-24-2018, 12:45 PM   #12749
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Lol, oh CP. Brodie does not get you Eberle and our 1st back. The Isles giving our first back for Brodie is already pushing it.
You might get Eberle straight up thou. I think I'd probably do that deal.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:46 PM   #12750
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
Why would the Flames sell him for a winger with a year left on his deal?
Good question. I never suggested it, you did. And you added a 1st, I assume to mitigate the fact that Eberle has only a year left.

I see it this way. The Flames want back into the draft. They have youth that can move into the lineup at D.

Montreal has 4 2nd round picks this year, and a 3rd. They could use a LD.

Last edited by Toonage; 05-24-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:07 PM   #12751
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good question. I never suggested it, you did. And you added a 1st, I assume to mitigate the fact that Eberle has only a year left.

I see it this way. The Flames want back into the draft. They have youth that can move into the lineup at D.

Montreal has 4 2nd round picks this year, and a 3rd. They could use a LD.
Last thing the Flames should do is move Brodie for a collection of 2nd round picks (if that is what you are implying). I am just thinking what is the best case return for Brodie and I don’t see him returning a 22-27 year old with 2+ years left on his contract (maybe an overpaid guy like Saad?)

The way I see it is if the Flames want back in the draft they should not be using a top 4 D as the centerpiece (unless the trade also includes another major piece an example is Nylander and 1st for Dougie). The Flames have a far more pressing need upfront and should pursue that over picks.

Brodie could likely get a similar return that Hamonic for last year but then the Flames have no answers for the lack of scoring up front. They could theoretically overpay JVR or James Neal but both of those players likely need a big overpayment to come to Calgary and that is a huge mistake.

For reasons stated above that is the main driver for me wanting Hamilton moved because I think he can get the Flames everything they need
Old 05-24-2018, 01:12 PM   #12752
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Feel free to ignore that he is also a disaster in his own end and a -32 in the past two years. If the Islanders offer up either Eberle or the 1st let alone both you take that and run.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #12753
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Feel free to ignore that he is also a disaster in his own end and a -32 in the past two years. If the Islanders offer up either Eberle or the 1st let alone both you take that and run.
+/- eh? Taking a page out of the Ricardo book of Dmen analysis.

Eberle is one of the worst defensive forwards in the game so we are not acquiring a 200ft player in the deal.

Brodie is no where near the disaster you make him out to be. It was clear all season you hate the player so it is easy to see the mistakes and gloss over the good.

Brodie is not a top pairing Dman but he is a top 4 that is built for today’s game. Put him on a team that plays a system more tailored to his game and slide him back on the right side I can see the Flames losing any realistic deal they can get for the guy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 01:45 PM   #12754
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

[QUOTE=Vinny01;6692236]+/- eh? Taking a page out of the Ricardo book of Dmen analysis.

Eberle is one of the worst defensive forwards in the game so we are not acquiring a 200ft player in the deal.

Brodie is no where near the disaster you make him out to be. It was clear all season you hate the player so it is easy to see the mistakes and gloss over the good.

He certainly was the disaster I make him out to be and the numbers and eye tests prove it. Yes, I dislike the player because he is a detriment to the team but that has nothing to do with the fact you think pro GM's are stupid and don't look at anything but a players offensive numbers. Thinking Brodie can fetch Eberle and a 1st is ridiculously laughable. This sounds like Canuck logic where despite his serious injury problems they think Tanev is worth way more than he is.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:57 PM   #12755
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Eberle and first for Brodie would of been fair value a season ago, but things change season to season and Brodie is not worth that much after another down year. Would you be comfortable trading an Eberle and your first for Brodie? I wouldn’t.

We are talking about the Brodie of the last two season, I doubt the Islanders want another Dman who struggles in their own zone. Eberle also had a very nice season and showed great chemistry with Barzal.

Last edited by Beninho; 05-24-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:09 PM   #12756
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Eberle also had a very nice season and showed great chemistry with Barzal.
Yeah... but he makes 6M (which is a lot for what he brings) and is only under contract for 1 year). I think a lot depends on what happens with Tavares as far as the NYI are concerned.

They're really a mess contractually speaking. https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/islanders
Old 05-24-2018, 02:28 PM   #12757
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would be open to trading Brodie for either Eberle or getting our first back. Maybe ask for a little sweetener from NYI in either scenario.

Is that really such a bad idea?
Old 05-24-2018, 02:42 PM   #12758
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Yeah... but he makes 6M (which is a lot for what he brings) and is only under contract for 1 year). I think a lot depends on what happens with Tavares as far as the NYI are concerned.

They're really a mess contractually speaking. https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/islanders
Good points, I forgot it was the last year of his contract
Old 05-24-2018, 02:44 PM   #12759
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I would be open to trading Brodie for either Eberle or getting our first back. Maybe ask for a little sweetener from NYI in either scenario.

I would be fine with a first and a good roster player, I don’t think any of us know what the market is for Brodie. He’s a perplexing player and trying to figure out what he’s worth is very difficult. I hated Brodie this year but after having time to think about it I believe the Flames need to see how he plays with another coach. I highly doubt he’s as bad in his own end next year but I still feel this team needs another top 6 forward. I’d try and see if Brodie can improve and then consider trading him if the Flames are still struggling to score goals next season.

Last edited by Beninho; 05-24-2018 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:49 PM   #12760
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post

One of Eberle or the first round pick for Brodie certainly seems much closer in value.
Closed Thread