Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2021, 03:58 PM   #441
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I should also add that if you're on the fence (and have the money), just do it. It's probably the happiest I've ever been after spending $5k. I haven't regretted it for a second. Anyone in Calgary that says you don't need it because it's only hot a few days a year obviously doesn't have it.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to sleepingmoose For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2021, 04:05 PM   #442
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
True, ours was very straight forward with a quick shot through the wall to the furnace and breaker panel. And in all honesty, you don't need AC in the basement. To get it cool enough in our house everywhere else, we keep all of the basement vents closed, and it's still like a meat locker with all the cold air sinking.
Is closing all basement registers recommended? My basement gets ridiculously cold as well but thought you weren't supposed to close them for some reason.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 04:10 PM   #443
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Is closing all basement registers recommended? My basement gets ridiculously cold as well but thought you weren't supposed to close them for some reason.
I close all mine and it makes a huge difference to the overall comfort of the house. I don't think there is any drawback to doing that aside from having to open them all again whenever you switch back to furnace mode.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 04:13 PM   #444
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

The AC installer recommended I close the basement vents. It gets ridiculously cold in the basement with the AC on, as you're trying to get the second floor to a comfortable temperature. He also recommended having the fan on all the time to circulate the air throughout the house.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2021, 04:26 PM   #445
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is there a concern with running the fan all the time? With our basement being so cold with AC now, seems like it would really help cut down on how much time the AC needs to be on, but I don't like the idea of the fan on 24/7 (for no real reason other than it seems like too much)
Old 05-31-2021, 04:31 PM   #446
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Is there a concern with running the fan all the time? With our basement being so cold with AC now, seems like it would really help cut down on how much time the AC needs to be on, but I don't like the idea of the fan on 24/7 (for no real reason other than it seems like too much)
That's what I asked, but the guy told me newer furnace fans are designed to be constantly run, and it may actually save electricity on AC usage by constantly keeping the cool air in your house circulating. I've did it for the first time last year during the summer months, and seems to be ok.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 04:36 PM   #447
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah we got the same advice, to run the fan all the time. Our house is the same way, when the AC is running the basement is a meat locker. Running the fan helps bring some of that cool air up to the other levels and should theoretically lessen the frequency of the A/C kicking in.

We got our A/C installed last year, so this is the first year we'll be firing up the unit (I suspect this week, with the forecast) after sitting all winter. Anything we should be aware of after the long winter break?
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:20 PM   #448
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Closing all registers isn't recommended. But closing all the registers on certain floors so that the air goes to the floors you want cooled is perfectly fine.

Some of you are talking about the basement being a meat locker like it's a bad thing. After entering your home on a hot day, walking into the basement for a quick cool down is glorious. It's even better if that's where you store your ice cold beer.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2021, 09:12 PM   #449
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t only close the basement but any areas of the house that don’t need cooling like the laundry room, walk in closet, etc. Gives more air to the rest of the vents. I have stupid wooden vent covers that are flush with the floor so I just put aluminum foil tape on the bottom side and take it off In winter.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 10:39 PM   #450
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone with a 2 furnace setup get AC for just the one furnace (top floor)?

I recall at my last place the sales guy saying it was not a great idea beacuse of workload for the 1 unit being higher due to hear rising...blah blah blah.

Generally, we're pretty comfortable with the main floor and basement but would love a cool upstairs for sleeping. Given the until would only run 1/3 of the year anyway...I don't see the burnout concern. Surely they are made better then that?

To do both furnaces I'd expect to spend 9k and I'd prefer not to do that.

Anyway, anyone running this kind of setup?
Old 05-31-2021, 11:05 PM   #451
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
Anyone with a 2 furnace setup get AC for just the one furnace (top floor)?

I recall at my last place the sales guy saying it was not a great idea beacuse of workload for the 1 unit being higher due to hear rising...blah blah blah.

Generally, we're pretty comfortable with the main floor and basement but would love a cool upstairs for sleeping. Given the until would only run 1/3 of the year anyway...I don't see the burnout concern. Surely they are made better then that?

To do both furnaces I'd expect to spend 9k and I'd prefer not to do that.

Anyway, anyone running this kind of setup?
I have this and it isn't an issue, imo. We usually leave the furnace fan on the main floor/basement furnace running, which circulates cool air from the basement to the main floor.

It doesn't give that "cold" air conditioned feeling to the whole house, so if that's what you want you should do both. But it easily keeps the bedrooms/upstairs cool. We mostly use it at night, although on really hot days we run it all the time.

We've had it for a few years with zero issues so far.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2021, 09:01 AM   #452
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
I should also add that if you're on the fence (and have the money), just do it. It's probably the happiest I've ever been after spending $5k. I haven't regretted it for a second. Anyone in Calgary that says you don't need it because it's only hot a few days a year obviously doesn't have it.
Agree, and I would also add anyone who says you dont need it in Calgary doesnt have little kids. It's a lot easier to put a toddler down for the night when their room is 21 instead of 28.
Calgary14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2021, 09:44 AM   #453
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Agree, and I would also add anyone who says you dont need it in Calgary doesnt have little kids. It's a lot easier to put a toddler down for the night when their room is 21 instead of 28.
this was the reason we got it and I am pretty sure it has saved our sanity/ marriage.
Monahammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 02:00 PM   #454
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
That was why we got it. Worth every penny.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 04:45 PM   #455
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I’m sure this varies by property type/orientation, but what temp are you folks setting your AC at? Are you scheduling things to go up/down at certain times of day?

We just moved into a new place and it’s our first time having AC, so still trying to work out what the optimal setting is. Winter furnace is easier in a way because you’ve got a default minimum you want the house at, but AC seems like it needs more finesse.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 05:29 PM   #456
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I keep mine at 22 and bust it down to 21 at night for a special treat.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:07 PM   #457
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Generally keep mine at 73-74 (23.5) upstairs and 71 (21.5ish) downstairs. Unit upstairs has some issues due to an under sized fan, so can't go MAX cool and ice out the bedrooms, but the having the main floor cooler certainly cools down the whole house given the combined cold air system. Plus I think a certain CP HVAC person would scold us for going that low anyways
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 06:10 PM   #458
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

23.5 in the bedrooms? Dafuq, dude. That's way too warm for sleeping.
Old 06-01-2021, 06:42 PM   #459
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I go 23. Bungalow so it's quite a bit colder in basement where kids sleep. Thinking I may try 22 but wouldn't go any lower.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:26 PM   #460
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
So I’m sure this varies by property type/orientation, but what temp are you folks setting your AC at? Are you scheduling things to go up/down at certain times of day?
West windows have blinds/curtains closed. AC comes on at 3:00pm to cool the house to 22, I'm bit here so not sure how much it is or isn't running while nobody is home. Generally runs until the sun goes down then off as soon as windows can be opened.

Blinds/curtains on sun exposed windows are key.