Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #1
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:
icon53 DSLRs

I posted this question in another thread and then realized it would probably be better served in here....

I'm DSLR shopping and I'm looking at Canon, Nikon and Sony.

What have you got and why did you buy it?

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #2
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TC- View Post
I posted this question in another thread and then realized it would probably be better served in here....

I'm DSLR shopping and I'm looking at Canon, Nikon and Sony.

What have you got and why did you buy it?

Nikon D90. Why? Cause it's not a Canon.
There, I started this war

Honestly, they are all great as far as abilities go. Go and hold one and decide which one feels the best. I liked the way the grip is shaped on the Nikon. Another thing I like is the menu structure compared to the more convoluted (IMO) Canon one.

Keep in mind second hand market for additional glass etc. Can't beat Nikon or Canon there.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #3
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

As a Sony user I would suggest going with Nikon or Canon. That has nothing to do with the quality of a Sony DSLR, mine is great and I love it, but things you want for your camera are more readily and easily available for either Nikon or Canon.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a Nikon D5100 and it's fantastic, but if you're shooting video Panasonic has some great stuff as well. I have a Camera man who uses it exclusively. I wish I went the Panasonic way as I shoot more video that photos.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nikon chose me as a young kid.
My Dad shot film (Nikon) while I grew up and this had a pretty big impact on me.

Once the digital age finally caught up to the SLR products, it was time to choose between Nikon or Canon.
Upon researching and handling each product in my price range, the Nikon just fit better in my large hands and I was impressed with the feel, menu layout and massive choice of lenses, speed-lights and other accessories.

You really can't go wrong with either choice in the DSLR world.
For P&S, I'd choose Lumix or Canon.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I shoot with a Nikon D300. The first SLR I used was a Nikon, and I learned how to shoot on a Nikon; they are familiar to me and I'm comfortable using them.

That's probably the biggest reason I simply don't like canons. They're foreign to me and any time I pick one up I find myself fumbling over button locations and settings.

The shooting fundamentals are the same, but its like jumping to a split ergonomic keyboard from a standard one. It trips me up.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:26 PM   #7
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

I shoot with a Nikon D7000 - when I first ventured into the SLR world, the Nikon film camera "fit better in my hands" than the equivalent Canon. I stayed with Nikon when I moved to DSLR, since I was already familiar with the layout and terminology.

I don't think you can go wrong with either Nikon or Canon (don't know enough about Sony). Set your budget and go to Vistek or the CameraStore and see which camera feels best in your hands
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:24 AM   #8
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

The choice really depends on what you want, what you want to spend, and how comfortable you feel with the UI and button layouts.

I started with a Canon Rebel XSi because a friend of mine had the XS and let me borrow it so I got used to how it worked. The XSi fit my price range and I went from there.

As others have mentioned, glass is important. It will outlast your body by a longshot if you take proper care of it. Nikon and Canon both have excellent quality, although the prices are unfortunately very high. Higher since the tsunami in Japan. I don't know much about Olympus or Sony and their range/quality of glass, but I know Nikon and Canon both have a wide variety.

If you have the time, try taking a visit to The Camera Store and talking to one of their sales reps. They typically have a good understanding and might let you hold a demo body in order for you to get a feel.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #9
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Olympus e520. After some research it was highly rated as a very good starter camera and the price was reasonable. The package I bought came with 2 lenses and the body. Works great for me and the photos I take. If I were to upgrade I'd probably get a Nikon.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:50 AM   #10
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again, Canon or Nikon. I am a Canon user myself, mainly because the person who got me into photography was a Canon user and I learned on their camera so it is what was comfortable.

Another great camera store in Calgary is Seneal cameras. I know there is one downtown and one in southcentre.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #11
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.

Old 01-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #12
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm not a camera expert so maybe someone else can chime in...

But it might be more worth you buying some of the more 'expensive' models Nikon offers like the D90 over D60. The reason is the auto focus motor thing is in the camera and for the lower camera models you can only use AF-S for it to focus. Something along those lines anyways.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #13
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooohooo View Post
I'm not a camera expert so maybe someone else can chime in...

But it might be more worth you buying some of the more 'expensive' models Nikon offers like the D90 over D60. The reason is the auto focus motor thing is in the camera and for the lower camera models you can only use AF-S for it to focus. Something along those lines anyways.
That's correct, but the D90 and D60 are both a bit dated now. But yes, and AF motor will open up some quality lens options (e.g. Tokina 11-18). Don't know what the situation is like with Canon.

Another thing some of the higher end Nikons have that the lower ones don't is CLS, which lets you adjust and trigger your flashes remotely.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #14
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

All three are good and you're only limited by your ability instead of the camera in this day and age. However, I would go with Canon or Nikon because you'll get most of your money back if you decide to sell them down the road.
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #15
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm very close to buying the D60, overall it just seems to the best fit for me.