Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2011, 12:28 PM   #21
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Duel core is starting to come out in some phones. It'll probably be lower power (i.e. longer battary life), stronger WiFI hotspots for iPhone5. iPhone 6 will probably be sensors (or thats the long term goal, I don't know if I'm seeing it right now by 2012).
Old 04-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #22
PackersFan
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKPThunder View Post
I'm curious to know what features Apple left out in the iPhone4 that people were wanting?
How about an antenna, that doesn't need a piece of duct tape or plastic over it, to actually do its job
PackersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:38 PM   #23
BananaPancakes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Possible iPhone 5 video.. Looks like there's not going to be a redesign, but the new multitasking looks nice if it's real.

BananaPancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #24
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

No home button...

HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:34 PM   #25
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Are you telling me that you have never had to re-charge your phone in the middle of the day? Sometimes you can't leave your phone tethered to a plug for 60-90 minutes; like for me on a recent trip to Florida. Both myself and a friend needed to recharge our phones on the plane, so we had to plug into my netbook.

Never mind the fact that I have seen iPhones that needed a cold re-boot; so instead of having to google to find the magic sequence to force a restart, it could be a little more intuitive like removing the battery.
I don't understand you here.. How does having to recharge at some point during the day mean that it should have a removable battery? If you know that you're going to be away from power for a while, it seems wise to adjust your usage. Turn off push notifications, and limit network access, those kill the phone. I walked the freedom trail and did about 5 hours of listening to my iPhone iPod and I was at about 93% battery power.

Cold reboot of an iPhone isn't really all that magical, hold the two most prominent buttons on the phone until it reboots. That's in the manual.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #26
Prototype

Exp:

Or... have a spare battery handy to replace the dying battery?
Old 04-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #27
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Cold reboot of an iPhone isn't really all that magical, hold the two most prominent buttons on the phone until it reboots. That's in the manual.
I held + and - buttons and nothing happened!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #28
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

If they had removable batteries, people would complain about how expensive an extra battery would cost and "why couldn't they just get the main battery to last 12 hours while running all my apps, videos, music and pushing notifications to me every minute".
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #29
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I don't understand you here.. How does having to recharge at some point during the day mean that it should have a removable battery? If you know that you're going to be away from power for a while, it seems wise to adjust your usage. Turn off push notifications, and limit network access, those kill the phone. I walked the freedom trail and did about 5 hours of listening to my iPhone iPod and I was at about 93% battery power.

I guess I don't consider "do not use it" a good enough answer to my useage draining the battery. That is like going to the doctor and telling him it hurts to lift your arm, and his response being "Don't lift your arm." I agree using the iPod function doesn't kill the battery, but playing Angry Birds on the plane does. (Which in airplane mode also means no network useage.)

And on my fiancee's iPhone, that reboot method didn't work for the problem she had. I forget what it was, but when I googled it the third solution I came across was it. There was a combination of multiple home buttons, follwed by something else.

Don't get me wrong; I am not an "Apple person" and I really like my iPhone. If I were to buy another smartphone today it would likely be an iPhone again. But when asked the question of what could be improved; I have suggestions.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #30
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Come on, even the biggest Apple fanboy has to admit that a removable battery isn't something that detracts from a phone and is in fact, a beneficial feature for many people.

Just because Apple doesn't allow their customers to do this doesn't mean that you have to rag on people who wish for such things and continue defending Apple to the death.

Given how fast batteries are consumed by modern smartphones, it would be nice to just be able to carry a spare in your pocket and put it in when your phone dies halfway through the day if you use it often. It's not always convenient to charge a phone overnight or for a couple hours or be tethered to something. I certainly do this with laptops and my phones and my digital cameras. A spare battery is a lifesaver in certain situations or on long trips when travelling.

Adjusting your use when you are away from a socket is perfectly fine, but a spare battery solves this easily and allows you to keep using YOUR device, the way YOU want. There are some options out there, like aftermarket spare batteries that plug into the bottom port but they make your iPhone like 2 inches longer.

A removable battery is not a difficult thing to implement and not something that would harm the aesthetics of the device either. Also, keep in mind that over the course of a year of regular use, the efficiency of a lithium ion battery will go down around 20-25% so you will have less power the longer you own your phone.

As far as the arguments go for dealing with a frozen iPhone, My friend's iPhone 3GS would not reboot nomatter what we tried. I eventually had to physically disassemble his phone and unplug the battery from the motherboard to get it to reset itself. This of course entailed potentially breaking many delicate parts and flimsy ribbon connectors but there was no choice.

If Apple devices had removable batteries, Apple users would be singing the praises of them all day long. There is absolutely no good reason for iPhones to not have removable batteries other than the fact that Apple makes a lot of money off battery replacements/repair service. If you've seen some knockoff iPhone 4s (the latest ones look identical), the back cover just slides off and it doesn't detract from the look of the phone at all.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 04-19-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #31
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
If they had removable batteries, people would complain about how expensive an extra battery would cost and "why couldn't they just get the main battery to last 12 hours while running all my apps, videos, music and pushing notifications to me every minute".
You seem to be implying that a removable battery means they find something else to complain about. Good for them...but that's not the point. It currently costs $80 plus shipping to get the battery replaced on an iPhone, whereas a removable battery would be cheaper and you wouldn't have to give your phone to Apple, who will either wipe the whole thing or give you a different phone. Removable batteries are nice to have and I haven't seen a good reason for Apple not to design their products to allow them yet.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:08 PM   #32
TylerSVT
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
You seem to be implying that a removable battery means they find something else to complain about. Good for them...but that's not the point. It currently costs $80 plus shipping to get the battery replaced on an iPhone, whereas a removable battery would be cheaper and you wouldn't have to give your phone to Apple, who will either wipe the whole thing or give you a different phone. Removable batteries are nice to have and I haven't seen a good reason for Apple not to design their products to allow them yet.
Money,

They know that its better for them financially to get phones sent back to them, charge diagnostic fees and then replace the battery rather than allow the customer to do it themselves.

Every other phone in the world does this... why cant the iphone?
TylerSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:41 PM   #33
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
As far as the arguments go for dealing with a frozen iPhone, My friend's iPhone 3GS would not reboot nomatter what we tried. I eventually had to physically disassemble his phone and unplug the battery from the motherboard to get it to reset itself. This of course entailed potentially breaking many delicate parts and flimsy ribbon connectors but there was no choice.
You can't even do this anymore with the new iPhones since they changed the screws to their own proprietary screw which is a star shaped one. Apparently if you get your iPhone serviced at the store, they will replace your old screws with the new star shaped ones.
FlamesPuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #34
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesPuck12 View Post
You can't even do this anymore with the new iPhones since they changed the screws to their own proprietary screw which is a star shaped one. Apparently if you get your iPhone serviced at the store, they will replace your old screws with the new star shaped ones.
LOL, Apple is evil!
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #35
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesPuck12 View Post
you can buy the screwdriver used online.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #36
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I think replaceable batteries would be great. I have nothing against them. There are many times I could have used one.

I just find it hard to believe that after 5+ years of iPhones and another 5 of iPods (all without replaceable batteries) that it's still a sticking point for people. They're not going to do it so why argue that point?

Sadly, because it's Apple, I think they would also cost 4x's as much as other company's replaceable batteries.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #37
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
you can buy the screwdriver used online.
You can, but that screwdriver would only be good for apple products only. Not to mention that the screw sizes for different apple products are all different so you would need the apple screwdriver for each apple product.

That's beside the point though, the only reason apple is using these screws is to make it a PITA for anyone who wants to open up the device. Why should Apple care what I do with the device I bought. Go ahead and void my warranty but to make their own proprietary screws to make it even more annoying? That's going out of their way to make it more difficult on me.
FlamesPuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #38
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A removable battery is not a difficult thing to implement and not something that would harm the aesthetics of the device either. Also, keep in mind that over the course of a year of regular use, the efficiency of a lithium ion battery will go down around 20-25% so you will have less power the longer you own your phone.
Sorry I'm nitpicking, because you're mostly right, but that being said...

A Li-Ion battery has approximately 200 "life-cycles", essentially means you can plug it in to charge about 200 times before the capacity (run-time) begins to drop off. There is no memory effect with lithium, so you can charge whenever you like, but as soon as it's been plugged in about 200 times your run-time will drop-off very quickly.

Usually.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #39
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Sadly, because it's Apple, I think they would also cost 4x's as much as other company's replaceable batteries.
One cannot patent a battery, iirc. So the aftermarket producers could easily engineer a battery that would be much less expensive than Apple's OEM replacement.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:23 PM   #40
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

If Apple devices had removable batteries, Apple users would be singing the praises of them all day long..
This!

Thread Title: iPhone 5 Super Thread

First post: This bad boy has a removable battery!!!
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote