Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #41
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

So what if you already have a Canadian Netflix account setup on your playstation? Do you have to create another profile?

Or is it as simple and uninstalling it and re-setting it up
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #42
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames89 View Post
In a review for the usvideo service it said that Xbox360 owners had to jump through other hoops as well, since the Xbox profile is linked to Canada.

True or false?
Partially true. If you already installed and activated Netflix like I did through Canada, you have to go into System Settings/Memory/Games and into the Games folder, and then scroll down to the Netflix directory. Delete everything in there, then reinstall the Netflix program.

This will make Netflix work. What it won't open up is the "Internet TV" settings in Windows Media Center on the XBOX. I can now stream every episode of Star Trek on my computer through WMC, but on the XBOX the US TV steaming is not enabled in WMC (and Netflix only has those episodes on DVD, while XBOX internet TV has them all through streaming CBS). That will be my next project and will require a US Gamertag and subscription, I suspect.

I had everything up and running on my computer in 8 minutes (change DNS settings, activate pre-paid card, register with Netflix under new email), and about another 5 to get the Xbox ready by deleting/reinstalling Netflix. Then 1 minute to activate the Xbox from the computer.

This is friggen awesome! Works like a charm! Many thanks to the OP! (EDIT: Upon whom I've granted plenty of thanks in this thread)

Last edited by Kjesse; 01-20-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:37 PM   #43
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Where are you changing DNS settings? On the devices themselves, or on the router for your whole home.

Because anyone that is serving your DNS can see what sites you visit when, what services you use, etc.. for those that are concerned about privacy type stuff.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:48 PM   #44
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
Partially true. If you already installed and activated Netflix like I did through Canada, you have to go into System Settings/Memory/Games and into the Games folder, and then scroll down to the Netflix directory. Delete everything in there, then reinstall the Netflix program.

This will make Netflix work. What it won't open up is the "Internet TV" settings in Windows Media Center on the XBOX. I can now stream every episode of Star Trek on my computer through WMC, but on the XBOX the US TV steaming is not enabled in WMC (and Netflix only has those episodes on DVD, while XBOX internet TV has them all through streaming CBS). That will be my next project and will require a US Gamertag and subscription, I suspect.

I had everything up and running on my computer in 8 minutes (change DNS settings, activate pre-paid card, register with Netflix under new email), and about another 5 to get the Xbox ready by deleting/reinstalling Netflix. Then 1 minute to activate the Xbox from the computer.

This is friggen awesome! Works like a charm! Many thanks to the OP! (EDIT: Upon whom I've granted plenty of thanks in this thread)
I'm glad its working out well for most people, no thanks needed. I would like to be able to change the title of the thread to reflect the current relevant discussion of usvideo.org and netflix, hulu, pandora,etc instead of my initial personal request. Does anyone know how to change a thread title? Also I agree with the person who said Pandora is awesome. Because we couldn't get it in Canada I never knew anything about it, but it really is very cool. They have an app for it on my new Boxee Box too which I am really stoked about.

**edit** Figured out how to change the thread title

Last edited by 1_Flames_Fan; 01-20-2011 at 06:05 PM.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #45
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Where are you changing DNS settings? On the devices themselves, or on the router for your whole home.

Because anyone that is serving your DNS can see what sites you visit when, what services you use, etc.. for those that are concerned about privacy type stuff.
Thats a good point. You can change the settings either the router itself, then it would work with all devices connected to your network or you can change the dns settings on each individual PC,PS3, etc. Personally I'm not too concerned about the privacy issue as the company appears to be pretty reputable but it might be something worth asking them about if there are concerns.

**edit** Just found this in their FAQ's
  1. None of your video/audio content or unrelated traffic goes through USVideo, therefore there is no bandwidth loss, data cap or privacy concerns.

Last edited by 1_Flames_Fan; 01-20-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:24 PM   #46
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Seems like a lot of trouble plus a massive security risk just to get the US service. I don't like the idea of a third party I know very little about getting access to all of my web traffic (online banking comes to mind...). Torrenting still seems safer and easier then this.

Personally I'm going to continue to support Netflix Canada in the hope that their service will continue to get better.

Now if NHL Gamecenter would get rid of the ridiculous local blackouts... that would be nice.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #47
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Thats a good point. You can change the settings either the router itself, then it would work with all devices connected to your network or you can change the dns settings on each individual PC,PS3, etc. Personally I'm not too concerned about the privacy issue as the company appears to be pretty reputable but it might be something worth asking them about if there are concerns.

**edit** Just found this in their FAQ's
  1. None of your video/audio content or unrelated traffic goes through USVideo, therefore there is no bandwidth loss, data cap or privacy concerns.
How can they say though that none of the audio/video content goes through USVideo, aren't they operating as a proxy? Since it uses DNS I'm assuming what they're doing is when your device goes to connect to netflix.us (or whatever name it has to to get the data from the US netflix servers), since it's using USVideo's DNS they return a different IP that instead points to one of their proxy servers, which then relays the request to the real netflix.us server, gets the resulting data, and relays the data to your device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
Seems like a lot of trouble plus a massive security risk just to get the US service. I don't like the idea of a third party I know very little about getting access to all of my web traffic (online banking comes to mind...). Torrenting still seems safer and easier then this.
Well they're not really getting access to all your web traffic, at least not if they're being honest. All they should be able to see is your DNS requests, so they'll know that you accessed the ScotiaBank website on January 20th at 7:30pm but that's all they'll know. Unless they're evil then they'll be directing ALL traffic through a proxy but I'm pretty sure that'd be easy to detect.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:46 PM   #48
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I only changed mine on my PS3. I'm not too worried about it, since I don't use it for browsing the web.

HULU Plus blows, IMO. Netflix US is better than the Canadian version, but I wouldn't say the gap is as big as many people led me to believe.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:54 PM   #49
photon

Exp:

Quote:
How can they say though that none of the audio/video content goes through USVideo, aren't they operating as a proxy? Since it uses DNS I'm assuming what they're doing is when your device goes to connect to netflix.us (or whatever name it has to to get the data from the US netflix servers), since it's using USVideo's DNS they return a different IP that instead points to one of their proxy servers, which then relays the request to the real netflix.us server, gets the resulting data, and relays the data to your device.
After a bit of reading it sounds like they're proxy-ing the up-front request, but not the actual streaming, and since the providers probably don't IP check once you've made it past the front gate, this works.

Kind of like how you used to find sites that you had to have an account to log in and get access to download links for images/software/whatever, but the actual links were normal URLs to static files with no protection on them.

For now, I guess it's just a question of how hard it will be for the providers to start doing IP range checks at the streaming level.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:03 PM   #50
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
After a bit of reading it sounds like they're proxy-ing the up-front request, but not the actual streaming, and since the providers probably don't IP check once you've made it past the front gate, this works.

Kind of like how you used to find sites that you had to have an account to log in and get access to download links for images/software/whatever, but the actual links were normal URLs to static files with no protection on them.

For now, I guess it's just a question of how hard it will be for the providers to start doing IP range checks at the streaming level.
Hulu has been pretty good at hunting down VPN services and the like, though it may take them awhile to adopt to this strategy. I'm a little surprised that their content servers don't check the destination IP already.

Other the other hand, I somehow doubt Netflix will care that much.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:07 PM   #51
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Hulu has been pretty good at hunting down VPN services and the like, though it may take them awhile to adopt to this strategy. I'm a little surprised that their content servers don't check the destination IP already.
Probably because they don't host their own content servers, they probably farm that out to really big content providers or Teir 1 ISPs or something.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:21 PM   #52
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Yup, Netflix uses Level 3 as a CDN. I know this because I read an article about how Comcast (who competes with Netflix) has been trying to charge Level 3 more for bandwidth.

Another reason net neutrality is so important. But that's off topic...

I already use an American-based VPN that lets me use Hulu. I'm going to see if it will work for Netflix too. For those who are curious it's called VyprVPN, and it's free with my Giganew usenet service.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #53
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well they're not really getting access to all your web traffic, at least not if they're being honest. All they should be able to see is your DNS requests, so they'll know that you accessed the ScotiaBank website on January 20th at 7:30pm but that's all they'll know. Unless they're evil then they'll be directing ALL traffic through a proxy but I'm pretty sure that'd be easy to detect.
I realize that... just why take the risk. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

But then the only TV I actually want to watch is a Flames game - effing Gamecenter.

I'm surprised there isn't a "Netflix" for sports broadcasts. Networks sell their feeds to the company who then sells subscriptions. But I imagine the sports TV industry is about as backward as it gets (yeah, lets blackout away games for the local market, THAT makes sense).
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #54
amorak
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I easily signed up for netflix using a US address attached to ym Canadian Citibank card. boom.
amorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:30 PM   #55
JayP
Franchise Player

Exp:

K so I followed the directions on that USVideo.org site, got my pre-paid card activated to an address in Seattle, and registered for Netflix with said address.

When I go on PS3 to sign in it says that my log-in information is wrong. But I've double checked the email/password and that logs me into both Netflix.com and Netflix.ca where I have no problems streaming content.

Is there something I have to do on my PS3 to get my log-in info to work?
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #56
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Try creating a US PSN account with the same info you are using for netflix, then try logging in with your US netflix info. If that doesn't work you might need to delete the app and then download and reinstall it again.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #57
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Got mine working on my macbook for now... freakin awesome!
PsnaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:03 PM   #58
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Got it working on my 360.... so far so good!
PsnaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:04 AM   #59
anyonebutedmonton
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have it running off my router. Can you guys think of something I may be missing out on by having my router essentially showing an American connection?

Honestly this is pretty good value, currently working my way through californication.
anyonebutedmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:05 AM   #60
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My trial just ended and it scared me last night I thought netflix won the battle! I will try again tonight and hope everything works!
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote