Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2020, 08:08 PM   #1421
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
At the risk of sounding like a broken record - I use the sous vide to re-heat. Still not the same as fresh, but as close as you'll get. I've re-heated brisket and roasts with it and turns out quite nicely.

Can you elaborate on why temp doesn't mean much?
It’s not like chicken where it’s done at 165. Different chuncks of meat needed different temps.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:22 PM   #1422
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Different chuncks of meat needed different temps.
I understand that, but there's still likely an ideal range, is there not? It's not like temp can be completely irrelevant.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2020, 09:25 PM   #1423
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
At the risk of sounding like a broken record - I use the sous vide to re-heat. Still not the same as fresh, but as close as you'll get. I've re-heated brisket and roasts with it and turns out quite nicely.

Can you elaborate on why temp doesn't mean much?
Brisket is at its best when it jiggles. Usually that means the internal temp is around 195f all the way up to 210f. I've spoken to pitmasters who take wagyu briskets off at 213f. It all depends. That's what makes brisket so damn hard to cook.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:30 PM   #1424
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I understand that, but there's still likely an ideal range, is there not? It's not like temp can be completely irrelevant.
I think chicken to 165 is completely irrelevant but I’m sure that would garner a discussion. Time at temperature is far more important.

Maybe irrelevant is the wrong term. Requirement might be more what I’m trying to say

Last edited by Weitz; 07-12-2020 at 09:32 PM.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2020, 09:41 PM   #1425
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Fivenagame View Post
Brisket is at its best when it jiggles. Usually that means the internal temp is around 195f all the way up to 210f. I've spoken to pitmasters who take wagyu briskets off at 213f. It all depends. That's what makes brisket so damn hard to cook.
Thanks that makes a lot more sense. 10-20 degrees is quite the range.

Sorry, completely new to smoking/grilling. More of an indoor cooking person.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2020, 10:39 AM   #1426
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post

It turned out so delish. Melt in your mouth.

Never had brisket before, so no comparison but it was a huge hit with the family.

I think I could have maybe trimmed the fat a little more, cause it was a little thick in spots, but I’ll try it again. No complaints the way it was though

Thanks for all your help
I'd be hesitant to trim the fat. Leave that for when you plate it if there are people who are not fans.

Loved your pictures, it looked great. I approve of the side dishes, not a vegetable in sight.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2020, 11:23 AM   #1427
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

When did you feel ready to do brisket?

I can do decent pork shoulder for pulled pork, but I find my temp varies quite a bit. I've been told that's not a huge deal since pulled pork is forgiving, and the results proved that.

I don't feel ready yet. When did you attempt your first, and what is a nice easy step by step for beginners?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 12:22 PM   #1428
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did a brisket two weekends away seasoned only with fresh-ground pepper and salt. It was delicious.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:19 PM   #1429
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
When did you feel ready to do brisket?

I can do decent pork shoulder for pulled pork, but I find my temp varies quite a bit. I've been told that's not a huge deal since pulled pork is forgiving, and the results proved that.

I don't feel ready yet. When did you attempt your first, and what is a nice easy step by step for beginners?
Just giv'er. You'll learn something with every cook, so why not just give it a try? When I did my first one fifteenish years ago, it was on a modified Weber kettle. It was tough as leather but I figured out a few things about temperature control etc. If you are worried, sauce covers up a lot of deficiencies. And homemade sauce is easy and will impress folks. Make a couple of good sides and people will be ok with a less than perfect brisket.

Some good resources are Virtual Weber Bullet (if you have one of those) or the Aaron Franklin videos. Ron Shewchuk's book was my bible when I first started out.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2020, 05:05 PM   #1430
Two Fivenagame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Franklin is at another level but his cookers are all offset. Most of CP I bet are either pellet, WSM, or kamodo users and that makes a difference imho (airflow, moisture etc.) Try to find a guru who uses what you have.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:06 PM   #1431
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tried my first brisket my 2nd year with a smoker. It wasn't good at all and I mostly winged it because I didnt want to wait the 12+ hours.

Now it's been a few years since my first brisket and I'm getting pretty damn good. I make a point to try brisket at places that offer it and I've yet to find one as good as my last 2.

A few pages back I gave Stang a very basic run down on how to do one, there are ways you can get more involved (butcher paper wrapping at the stall, more advanced trimming skills) but even someone new to smoking can make a good to great tasting brisket by following simple techniques.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 12:13 AM   #1432
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

I’m new to smokers, this is my first year with my egg. Never been to scared to jump into something new.

It’s funny, the brisket turned out great, but I can’t get a roast to be done good on the smoker yet. Tried 3 or 4 already. Great flavour but tough as hell.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:57 AM   #1433
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm in the market for a inexpensive portable grill for camping - any recommendations?

- must be compact (I've had a Weber Q and found it too big)
- propane powered (this will be for firebans)
- doesn't have to be huge - 5 or 6 burgers is fine
- 1lb propane tank is fine
- something of reasonable quality

I was thinking of this Napoleon Travel Q: https://www.lowes.ca/product/gas-bbq...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:36 AM   #1434
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a Broil King Porta Chef. It looks like they have upped the price and features of it since I got one though. Mine is pretty bare bones and was around $100. If you can hunt that one down I would highly recommend it.

https://broilkingbbq.com/en_ca/grill...orta_chef_120/ This is fancier than mine.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 09:59 AM   #1435
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks nice but it's a little too big when folded up - mainly from the deep lid.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:01 AM   #1436
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Broil King Porta Chef and Weber Baby Q were my two considerations when I got our 5th wheel. I went with the Baby Q but it looks like they have expanded their line and have multiple sizes of the Q series - when I bought there was just the standard Q and the baby Q. The quality is fantastic and set up is easier than the Porta Chef but I'm not sure I am a fan of how the Weber line (in general) cooks and sometimes wish I went with the other one. It cooks with a low heat (very even however) so searing meat is challenging.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2020, 08:21 PM   #1437
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

After moving to Victoria I left my old crappy gas grill at my house in Calgary and opted for a 22” Weber Master Touch kettle.

I have no idea what I’m doing really, but I just smoked this brisket point and I’m pretty darn happy with my performance.

Old 07-23-2020, 06:41 PM   #1438
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a bbq / grill cleaning technique that isn’t horrible? I was expecting things to eventually turn to ash, but it doesn’t seem to be going that way.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:47 PM   #1439
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
Hey all.. I have a Bradley 6 rack digital smoker now, and am looking to switch to a pellet smoker this year.

I absolutely love smoking my own meats, and the fam-jam love it too.

I keep getting frustrated with my Bradley in the winter time since it won't work in anything colder than -5/-10. I've had many frustrating days of waking up at 5am to start the smoker only to get the dreaded E1 error code.

So, with all y'all's experience in Calgary weather and pellet smokers, do I go the Traeger route, or something like a Pit Boss vertical pellet smoker? And if so, what kind of thermal blankets do we get? What works, what doesn't?

Thanks!
I have a traeger and I love it. Had it for about 5 years. The only thing I would change is mine does not have the probe built in for the meat temperature. I am sure the new ones have it. Works ok in Calgary temperatures, try and stay out of the wind (I am outside Calgary and it’s windy often). I haven’t looked I to the new ones or the competition in a while, so I am sure things have changed in 5 years. I still have a propane grill as well. I find that I use them both, about equal time. Propane faster, smoker slower.
Doctorfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:14 PM   #1440
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Is there a bbq / grill cleaning technique that isn’t horrible? I was expecting things to eventually turn to ash, but it doesn’t seem to be going that way.
put foil over the top of the grates, fire it on high for 30 minutes. It'll all be ash.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber