Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2022, 09:48 AM   #41
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Lots of comics have taken on an affect to give themselves a unique voice. Todd Glass does a bit where he tells Mitch Hedberg jokes as Rodney Dangerfield and it works really well because they’re similar in style but their voices set them apart.

Gilbert’s normal voice is nothing special so he changed it for the stage. It suits him so well because his abrasive voice matches the style of jokes he tells. Call it a crutch if you want but I wouldn’t compare it to Carrot Top’s Schtick.

Gilbert used his real voice on SNL and he comes across very different. I tried to find a funny clip but that season was so dreadful that they all suck hard.

As for the title, I don’t know if Rita McNeil would want to be memorialized as fat even if she liked the Jokes. I didn’t see what you posted so I can’t comment further on that, but Gilbert absolutely would want his eulogy to be as filthy as possible. I would hate for Jewish people to feel slighted by what I wrote because it’s just about Gilbert and not them as a (historically ####ed over for no good reason) group but I’m not clever enough to come up with something else.
For the title, I'm not clutching my pearls or anything. I guess I don't know Gottfried's comedy well enough to get the title, so don't worry about it for my sake.

The Rita MacNeil thing I said was, "RIP Eata BigMeal." I used to watch her specials and my family was into her so I've seen her tell more than her fair share of fat jokes, but TBH, an infraction wasn't totally unfair, either.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2022, 10:16 AM   #42
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Lots of comics have taken on an affect to give themselves a unique voice. Todd Glass does a bit where he tells Mitch Hedberg jokes as Rodney Dangerfield and it works really well because they’re similar in style but their voices set them apart.

Gilbert’s normal voice is nothing special so he changed it for the stage. It suits him so well because his abrasive voice matches the style of jokes he tells. Call it a crutch if you want but I wouldn’t compare it to Carrot Top’s Schtick.

Gilbert used his real voice on SNL and he comes across very different. I tried to find a funny clip but that season was so dreadful that they all suck hard.

Gottfreid created a character. It's a pretty common comedic tool for standup comedians. Especially during the 1980s: Andrew Dice Clay, Bobcat Goldthwait, Larry the Cable Guy, Andy Kaufman etc...None of these people actually sound like their characters. Even Robin Williams had an entirely different personality than what he portrayed on stage.

I wouldn't call it a crutch at all. The people who are truly good at it have everyone convinced that is who they are, and it takes a pretty unique talent to convince the entire public of that.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2022, 04:00 PM   #43
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Somewhere Mitch Hedberg, Gilbert Gottfried, Bob Saget and Norm MacDonald are doing sets together.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2022, 04:10 PM   #44
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
IDK, I made a Rita MacNeil fat joke in the Rita MacNeil RIP thread and got an infraction (she loved fat jokes and even laughed about her pallbearer being a forklift). This title seems worse than that. Like, Jew jokes on CP? That's weird yo, but if mods are cool with it, who am I to judge?
IDK his entire career was built on offensive jokes...being a "cheap jew" was a massive part of his act.

Rita was known for her signing voice not for making cracks about her own weight

I gurantee there will be some off color humor at Gilberts funeral
Old 04-13-2022, 04:17 PM   #45
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Gottfreid created a character. It's a pretty common comedic tool for standup comedians. Especially during the 1980s: Andrew Dice Clay, Bobcat Goldthwait, Larry the Cable Guy, Andy Kaufman etc...None of these people actually sound like their characters. Even Robin Williams had an entirely different personality than what he portrayed on stage.

I wouldn't call it a crutch at all. The people who are truly good at it have everyone convinced that is who they are, and it takes a pretty unique talent to convince the entire public of that.
Andy Kaufman was well beyond a character and common comedic tool. The man was equal parts genius/insane and everything he did was nothing short of performance art.

Those other guys may have attempted to copy what he did but they don’t hold a candle to him.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2022, 04:19 PM   #46
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
His version of the Aristocrats nearly killed me.
It’s on daily motion so I can’t embed.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x306i1e
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 04:52 PM   #47
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

My concern with the title is that while Gilbert would be fine with it to describe himself, spoken by others it can perpetuate a less than favourable stereotype.

Anyway enough on that.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 04:56 PM   #48
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
My concern with the title is that while Gilbert would be fine with it to describe himself, spoken by others it can perpetuate a less than favourable stereotype.

Anyway enough on that.
I just asked my Jewish wife, who is very concerned about anti-semitism, and she said it's fine.

Proceed.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2022, 05:18 PM   #49
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Andy Kaufman was well beyond a character and common comedic tool. The man was equal parts genius/insane and everything he did was nothing short of performance art.

Those other guys may have attempted to copy what he did but they don’t hold a candle to him.
With Kaufman it was always difficult to tell where the characters ended. The guy coming up with random other characters/art projects was likely himself a character. Apparently, he would meditate himself into alternate personalities before performances.

kaufman wasn't the first to come up with a character though. Chaplin, the 3 stooges, etc.. were all doing it, and the concept likely goes back as far as theatre itself.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 05:24 PM   #50
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Does anybody else place Gottfried in the same camp as prop comics like Carrot Top? I always looked at his voice as a prop. Say his same jokes without the eye squint and silly voice and they hit different. Not a criticism...Carrot Top seems to have done well for himself so there is room for crutch comedy.
I saw Gilbert at Yuk Yuks back in like 2011.

The man is murderously funny. I have seen Bill Burr, Joe Rogan, Russell Peters, Tom Segura, Jim Jefferies, Seinfeld, Eddie Izzard etc live - None of them can hold a candle to what I watched that cheap Jew do to the Yuk Yuks Saturday late show back in the day.

RIP Gilbert - I didn’t even know he was sick.
Old 04-13-2022, 07:29 PM   #51
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

A nice tribute from Howard Stern today with some amusing clips of Gottfried through the years.

Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 07:50 PM   #52
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
A nice tribute from Howard Stern today with some amusing clips of Gottfried through the years.

Does he mention why Gilbert hasn't been on the show in nearly a decade?
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2022, 08:05 PM   #53
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Does he mention why Gilbert hasn't been on the show in nearly a decade?
No, but Stern has changed a lot I think. That's a whole other discussion, but it's not the same show as it used to be.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 08:50 AM   #54
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Somewhere Mitch Hedberg, Gilbert Gottfried, Bob Saget and Norm MacDonald are doing sets together.
Love Mitch Hedberg....another comedic genius gone way too soon.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2022, 09:41 AM   #55
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
No, but Stern has changed a lot I think. That's a whole other discussion, but it's not the same show as it used to be.
Stern has really transformed the show from the Shock Jock schtick of old. He's always been a fantastic interviewer but he's really taken it up a notch.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2022, 10:26 AM   #56
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I wonder if this was the start of Gilbert's signature voice

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 10:26 AM   #57
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

It's weird that this is available but I'm glad it is. Here's his celebration of life. Skip to 18:00 to see Jeff Ross and other comedians speak, but his wife Dara's tribute is worth watching.

https://www.legacycelebrated.com/gil...Q3yh5vUo5XB4Dw

Edit: The cheap pine coffin is perfect.

Last edited by DownInFlames; 04-15-2022 at 10:30 AM.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2022, 01:12 AM   #58
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jeff said "skull #### a dead body" at the funeral so the thread title is probably okay

Also on his deathbed Jeff Ross told him he was a "barely living legend"

Last edited by dino7c; 04-17-2022 at 01:21 AM.
dino7c is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2022, 02:09 AM   #59
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
It's weird that this is available but I'm glad it is. Here's his celebration of life. Skip to 18:00 to see Jeff Ross and other comedians speak, but his wife Dara's tribute is worth watching.

https://www.legacycelebrated.com/gil...Q3yh5vUo5XB4Dw

Edit: The cheap pine coffin is perfect.
Man, that was so great. Emotional, funny........between Ross and his wife there's a lot of emotions going on. Thank you for sharing.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2022, 05:31 PM   #60
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Jeff said "skull #### a dead body" at the funeral so the thread title is probably okay

Also on his deathbed Jeff Ross told him he was a "barely living legend"
Man...that lot of comedians are a dying breed. Now comics are getting bitch-slapped for unremarkable comments, guys like Gottfried, Ross and the 'Old Guard' wouldnt stand for that nonsense.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: