Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2015, 04:45 PM   #1
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Native Americans walk off set of Adam Sandler movie

I know Adam Sandler making terrible, unfunny comedies itself isn't news but this is pretty sad. Seriously, what year is it?

http://defamer.gawker.com/the-jokes-...-ex-1699769144

Quote:
The examples of disrespect included Native women’s names such as Beaver’s Breath and No Bra, an actress portraying an Apache woman squatting and urinating while smoking a peace pipe, and feathers inappropriately positioned on a teepee.
Two extras interviewed by ICTMN’s Vincent Schilling said they were initially uneasy about participating in the film, but were assured by Sandler’s producers that the portrayals would not be racist. That promise was quickly revealed as a lie.
Said an extra named Loren Anthony:

“I was asked a long time ago to do some work on this and I wasn’t down for it. Then they told me it was going to be a comedy, but it would not be racist. So I agreed to it but on Monday things started getting weird on the set.”
According to Anthony, the actors were supposed to be portraying members of the Apache tribe, but, in their costumes, “[W]e did not look Apache at all. We looked more like Comanche.” He also expanded on the aforementioned “Beaver’s Breath” gag:

“One thing that really offended a lot of people was that there was a female character called Beaver’s breath. One character says ‘Hey, Beaver’s Breath.’ And the Native woman says, ‘How did you know my name?’”
A Na###o film student named Allison Young said the producers told the extras that if they were going to be “sensitive,” that they “should leave”:

“We talked to the producers about our concerns. They just told us, ‘If you guys are so sensitive, you should leave.’ I was just standing there and got emotional and teary-eyed. I didn’t want to cry but the feeling just came over me. This is supposed to be a comedy that makes you laugh. A film like this should not make someone feel this way.”
David Hill, a 74-year-old man of Choctaw descent, compared the film’s producers to Washington Redskins owner Dan Snyder:

“They were being disrespectful,” he said. “They were bringing up those same old arguments that Dan Snyder uses in defending the Redskins.”
http://defamer.gawker.com/these-are-...dam-1699990455

Quote:
The version of the script we have is dated December 7, 2012, so it’s possible, if not likely, that some revisions have been made. But several of the examples cited as offensive by the Native actors who walked off the set are present in, and confirmed by, this script.

Here is the part in which a Native woman squats and pisses while smoking a peace pipe. The extras noted a character named “No Bra” as being a disrespectful parody of Native American names—there is no “No Bra” in the version of the script we have, though it appears as if that character’s original name, “Sits-On-Face,” was even worse.

The film only returns to scenes involving Native Americans intermittently, but nearly every single one features blockheaded riffing on demeaning stereotypes. Here, a character called “Flaming Wolf” lists, in broken English, a bunch of dumb Native American names:
And this is the best...

Quote:
UPDATE (4:38 p.m.) Via Vulture, Netflix has released the following statement regarding the film:

A spokesperson for Netflix says, “The movie has ridiculous in the title for a reason: because it is ridiculous. It is a broad satire of Western movies and the stereotypes they popularized, featuring a diverse cast that is not only part of — but in on — the joke.”
Yeah, apparently the cast didn't get that memo.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:53 PM   #2
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Adam Sandler wants to be the next Mel Brooks, except he skipped right past the "Blazing Saddles" part and is right into the "Life Stinks" part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2015, 12:52 PM   #3
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Adam Sandler was so unfunny he made people cry. Not surprised.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 11:57 AM   #4
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:14 PM   #5
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

While this isn't anything that hasn't been done before with the native name gags I am a little surprised given the Redskins thing that the studio and writers wouldn't be a little more sensitive. That said maybe they are banking on it being controversial to garner more attention.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:53 PM   #6
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Wow...just looked into it. Sandler has had a pretty steady flow of 1 comedy a year since 1995...this has to end. Seriously how did Jack and Jill gross just shy of $150 mil in box office?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:07 AM   #7
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Wow...just looked into it. Sandler has had a pretty steady flow of 1 comedy a year since 1995...this has to end. Seriously how did Jack and Jill gross just shy of $150 mil in box office?
Uhh the actress that played Jill was a total babe. Duh.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2015, 10:24 AM   #8
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Didn't the actors get the script before they agreed to be in the movie? Seems fishy to me
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2015, 10:32 AM   #9
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

^Extras sure don't. I doubt minor speaking parts do either.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote