Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2020, 05:07 PM   #981
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
just started finally watching the Expanse, the first 5 episode its tough to keep up on things. Not saying I don't like it, but maybe my brain isn't as quick as it used to be. I've heard that season two is really must see TV, so I'm going to push through the rest of season one and see where it goes.
All of our brains are slower because of prolonged exposure to Discovery, Picard, and Star Wars Sequel Trilogy. Stick with it and I promise it will pay off like none of the big name space franchises are capable of anymore. Subtitles help tremendously I find.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:41 PM   #982
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zero zero zero on amazon is excellent

Surprised theres not more written about it when it came out

follows a drug shipment from mexico to Italy, shows all 3 main groups stories, the cartel shipping it, the American shipping company, italian mafia expecting it

Its beautifully shot, looks better than most movies, they must have spent a fortune on it
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:55 PM   #983
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

New Parks and Rec specials on NBC tonight.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2020, 10:06 PM   #984
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bye bye Lil Sebastian
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2020, 10:16 PM   #985
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

and though we all miss you everyday we know your up there eating heaven's hay
and here's the part that hurts the most humans cannot ride a ghost
bye bye Li'l Sebastin
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2020, 01:29 PM   #986
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

After Life by Ricky Gervais. Really enjoying the series. So far only 2 seasons and 6 episodes each. Part serious, part not...Ricky humor if you like him!
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 07:58 AM   #987
Language
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Highly recommend Fauda on Netflix. Just finished its third season. Definitely one of those series that just sucks you in. Filmed in Hebrew and Arabic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Language is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Language For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2020, 09:56 AM   #988
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Language View Post
Highly recommend Fauda on Netflix. Just finished its third season. Definitely one of those series that just sucks you in. Filmed in Hebrew and Arabic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This looks really interesting, I will check it out. Cheers.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 01:18 PM   #989
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

anyone watching upload on Amazon, I saw a preview and it looked hilarious.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 01:30 PM   #990
TheGingerbeardMan
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
anyone watching upload on Amazon, I saw a preview and it looked hilarious.
Started watching Upload on Prime with the wife yesterday. About halfway through the series and we are both really enjoying it.
TheGingerbeardMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 04:50 PM   #991
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Bob Odenkirk and David Cross Are Doing a 'Mr. Show' Reunion

https://exclaim.ca/comedy/article/bo...KDxN3YBrKpbe8Q

The Kids in the Hall reunite for a new season on Amazon Prime

https://www.thestar.com/entertainmen...zon-prime.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 07:26 PM   #992
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

^This makes me so ####ing happy.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 04:39 AM   #993
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
...The Kids in the Hall reunite for a new season on Amazon Prime

https://www.thestar.com/entertainmen...zon-prime.html
Set in a retirement home? Complete with canes, walkers, and dialysis eh?
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:02 AM   #994
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Scott Thompson is the only one over 60.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:12 AM   #995
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Wrapped up Man in the High Castle (Prime Video) last night and I really don't know where I land on it. I enjoyed the majority of the show, but I struggle to understand what theme and message they were trying to nail, especially since the finale didn't really offer much in terms of resolution.

Like Lost, the final season and ending left more questions than they answered. However, I would still recommend the show as it is a fascinating and well-structured telling of the alt-reality genre. John Smith (Rufus Sewell) is one of the best characters I've seen in a series.
I made it 75% thru S3 and gave up on it. A shame because the series started out soooooo well. Such a great concept with interesting scenery and storylines. However I lost count of all the twists and turns and end up getting confused.

But you're right, Rufus Sewell is one of the best characters ever. If the story focused mainly on him and his family, it would have been all good. Maybe I'll finish it one day, but I heard S4 gets even more loopy, so maybe not worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Finally started watching Ozark. I like the idea and mostly like the actors and characters but it is so slow paced that I'm trying to decide if I want to continue with it. Starting episode 5, does it pick up at some point soon?
It does, I thought the exact same at the same point you did. I didn't see what the big deal was even though it was decent enough to start. I found S2 (which I am half way through) really picked things up.

And maybe I'll get crapped on for saying this, but I'm not a fan of the casting of the actors in the show. I like Jason Bateman as a film actor, but I do not think he is the best representation of his character in Ozark. Seems like every time something bad happens that would have a normal person freaking out, he just hangs his head down in shame and says "things will work out", then goes on about his day. Maybe that's what the show's makers were going for, but he seems like the wrong guy for the job. Way too calm for what's happening around him and his few emotional outbursts seem forced . Same with his wife, not a big fan of her representation either. The supporting characters are great though, especially the rednecks.

It's a good show, but I feel it's overrated for how great everyone says it is.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:27 AM   #996
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ozark's entire premise is ridiculous to me. Those people should have been dead so long ago. Every time I watch Marty Byrd talking to some apparent major crime figure like he's trying to talk to a kid who had a bad day, I just can't get over it. Season 3 was better than 2 because 2 was just a tire spinning mess, but it doesn't eliminate the major flaw of the show.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:03 AM   #997
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I'm sure it's been mentioned already but I binged Devs over the last couple days. It's a hell of a show. Super slow burn but really compelling premise. If you're a fan of Alex Garland's Ex Machina like I am, you'll love this one.
I'm blown away that this is the only mention of Devs in this thread.

Alex Garland (Ex Machina, Annihilation) Directs/Writes, starring Nick Offerman. Literally do not want to give anything away but the show is super good and interesting.

It's on VOD on Shaw, not sure about Telus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:14 PM   #998
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Ozark's entire premise is ridiculous to me. Those people should have been dead so long ago. Every time I watch Marty Byrd talking to some apparent major crime figure like he's trying to talk to a kid who had a bad day, I just can't get over it. Season 3 was better than 2 because 2 was just a tire spinning mess, but it doesn't eliminate the major flaw of the show.
A lot of the show just seems ''off'' to me. Individually the pieces that make the show are decent enough. Things like good camera work, good supporting characters, interesting premise and story line on paper, good sound effects and lighting. But for some reason when it's all brought together, it seems to be less then the sum of it's parts.

Things like how lots of the music doesn't seem to fit properly for the scene. Marty is IMO a boring character and Jason Bateman is the completely wrong actor to be playing as him. Even the 'bad' FBI agent guy is lame and the entire foundation of his story line that revolves around him being gay seems so forced (no pun intended) and makes no sense as to why it's relevant. Feels like it's a part of his story just to fit with the times of every show needing a gay character. I'm only halfway through S2, so maybe the relevance of it all ties together later, maybe not.

I've heard people say it's the new Breaking Bad with how all the lies compound and start to fall apart as the series progresses. Even when I talk with my friends about this show their eyes light up and they go on about how great it is and so much craziness happens. But I don't know, it just all seems kind of off to me and no where near one of the best shows ever.

There are much better cartels-as-the-bad-guy TV shows out there and IMO Ozark is a couple tiers below those.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 03:53 PM   #999
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
And maybe I'll get crapped on for saying this, but I'm not a fan of the casting of the actors in the show. I like Jason Bateman as a film actor, but I do not think he is the best representation of his character in Ozark. Seems like every time something bad happens that would have a normal person freaking out, he just hangs his head down in shame and says "things will work out", then goes on about his day. Maybe that's what the show's makers were going for, but he seems like the wrong guy for the job.
Oh man, I won't go into any details for those that haven't watched season three, but yeah that acting that I bolded there by Jason Bateman is very purposeful to the story.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2020, 10:46 AM   #1000
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Oh man, I won't go into any details for those that haven't watched season three, but yeah that acting that I bolded there by Jason Bateman is very purposeful to the story.
Yeah but characters aren't supposed to act like they've read the rest of the scripts for the season. The super casual dad vibe he has considering the circumstances seems insane.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post: