Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2020, 12:07 AM   #941
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Article on the misleading nature of Tiger King:

https://www.outsideonline.com/241141...=pocket-newtab

Without knowing all the true details, this article defends Baskin somewhat, but I found this interesting:

Quote:
Let’s jump back to the breeders for a second, though, because that’s where Tiger King really drops the ball. The show gives voice to the idea that breeders are helping wildlife by increasing their numbers. “We’re makin’ more of ’em,” Joe says. This is one of the most common arguments you hear from tiger owners and breeders. It’s also intellectually dishonest, and the fact the series does not give anyone a chance to correct it in the documentary is irresponsible. Virtually all privately owned tigers in the U.S. are mutts who do not belong to any of the six distinct subspecies found in the wildand therefore are genetically useless to conservation efforts. The show lets Joe and others suggest that if it looks like a tiger, it must be a tiger, never bothering to point out that that’s not actually the case. Tony the Tiger would do better in the wild. At least he wouldn’t muddy wild genes.

I think it was the Stark guy (not Robb or Bran or Ned) in Tiger King that stated that they were "making more of them" so how could it be bad?
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:11 AM   #942
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's truly ####ed up is all anyone can meme about is Carole, but Doc is a goddamn pederast and no one bats an eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:27 AM   #943
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Not going to delve into "I went to a Zoo and the animals were fine!" Because thats a whole other Gordian knot of issues.
I dunno what a Gordian knot is, but to clarify, they're not fine. They're wild tigers and they're in cages. They're not fine. It's not a complicated issue.

The point is that Tiger King paints BCR, Joe Exotic's facility, and a few others to all be the same. That could not be further from the truth. I have been to several other locations in the US that housed big cats, but never anything close to Joe Exotic's neighbourhood. Sounds like you've been to BCR and some of these facilities as well, so I await your take on it.

Quote:
Well...true. To a certain degree. The Documentary veered off course from the Tigers pretty quickly, but I think that says more about the legislation that apparently any old idiot can get their hands on a Tiger and other exotic animals and just call themselves a Zoo.
Huh? That is the very reason that it shouldn't have veered off course. 7 straight episodes of Jerry Springer is more entertaining than examining the plight of cats. End of story.

Quote:
Sure, you can argue the sensationalism for the sake of entertainment but I wouldnt let anyone on that show look after my dog for a weekend let alone be in charge of a collection of highly specialized animals.
You wouldn't "let" BCR, Wildcat Sanctuary, et al. save cats from roadside zoos where hillbillies are trying to breed white tigers, ligers and tigons? Good thing they don't need your permission. If Tiger King is all you're basing this statement on, you have no clue who at BCR or Wildcat has what qualifications to do anything. What's funny about all of this is that if in any discussion you sub Wildcat Sanctuary for BCR, now nobody has anything to say despite the facilities operating identically... because all anybody knows is what biased people in a Netflix show said for the purposes of entertainment.

Last edited by Acey; 04-15-2020 at 08:47 AM.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 09:01 AM   #944
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
What's truly ####ed up is all anyone can meme about is Carole, but Doc is a goddamn pederast and no one bats an eye.
Quote:
romantic relationship between an adult male and a younger male usually in his teens.
Um, did that happen in the Documentary? Or are you thinking Joe Exotic?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 01:25 PM   #945
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Jeff Lowe (yes that Jeff Lowe) just did an AMA on reddit. It went about as well as you would expect

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/commen...m_the_ceo_and/
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2020, 03:28 PM   #946
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Killing Eve season 3 has started. The shocking ending of episode 1 definitely has me engaged.

Also What We Do in the Shadows Season 2 starts tonight. Probably the funniest thing on TV at the moment.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:39 PM   #947
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn’t see season 1 of What we do in the Shadows. Is it a show I could pick up in S2? Maybe it’s on On Demand.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 05:25 PM   #948
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Didn’t see season 1 of What we do in the Shadows. Is it a show I could pick up in S2? Maybe it’s on On Demand.
I'd suggest watching season 1. If you have FX, season 1 is available on demand: https://www.fxnowcanada.ca/shows/wha...n-the-shadows/
Old 04-16-2020, 12:16 AM   #949
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I'd suggest watching season 1. If you have FX, season 1 is available on demand: https://www.fxnowcanada.ca/shows/wha...n-the-shadows/

It's also on Hulu if you have access to that
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:46 AM   #950
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
There's always a fascination with people that get away with murder. Almost everyone in the show was unsavory but only one was responsible for a person disappearing off the face of the earth.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:13 AM   #951
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What We Do in the Shadows is back!!

Back-to-Back to start it off. But only seven episodes this year.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:13 AM   #952
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Season 1 of what we do in the shadows is amazing. It must be watched.
Edit to add: Barons night out was maybe the best episode of television, ever.

Last edited by EldrickOnIce; 04-16-2020 at 07:17 AM.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2020, 05:47 PM   #953
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Been binge watching Counterpart on STARZ

The show seems downright prophetic now. A public service announcement from the Other Side where society had been changed by a pandemic several years before:

Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:00 PM   #954
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

A couple of weeks ago, Justin Marks (creator of Counterpart) tweeted out this cut scene showing public transit on "the other side"...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1245056771607023616
Old 04-20-2020, 06:58 PM   #955
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

just started finally watching the Expanse, the first 5 episode its tough to keep up on things. Not saying I don't like it, but maybe my brain isn't as quick as it used to be. I've heard that season two is really must see TV, so I'm going to push through the rest of season one and see where it goes.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:14 PM   #956
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
just started finally watching the Expanse, the first 5 episode its tough to keep up on things. Not saying I don't like it, but maybe my brain isn't as quick as it used to be. I've heard that season two is really must see TV, so I'm going to push through the rest of season one and see where it goes.

The first few episodes it is really hard to keep up, so many characters and situations. If I hadn't read the book I think I would've struggled. If I recall later in the season once the characters were more established it was a lot easier to follow.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:37 AM   #957
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, stick with it. You bunch of brow-beaters forced me to watch it after bailing on the first episode. I'm totally hooked now, on season 3. All the confusion of the first few episodes pay off, don't worry to much about it. Though I do now want to watch them again, just to remind myself of the sequence of events.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 08:39 AM   #958
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's a true testament to the insanity of Tiger King that the guy who runs a teenage girl sex cult gets minimal camera time because he is one of the least interesting people on the show.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 12:42 PM   #959
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 05:55 PM   #960
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is literally the best news I've heard all day...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1253461556102197251