Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2018, 04:53 AM   #101
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If there's anything Treliving can consistently do well, it's RFA extensions. I have faith that Lindholm will sign a reasonable deal.

I can't see Lindholm getting more than a 5.2 AAV on any deal, except maybe on a 7 year term.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 05:05 AM   #102
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think its going to be a 5.125 for 6.

Tkachuk may be getting payed big time next offseason though. Maybe something around 5.75 for 5 or 6.25 for 6.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:07 AM   #103
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we honestly have a player here who has untapped potential and to lock him up for 6 years would be a big win. 6 x 5.125 is my guess and that contract is an absolute steal during the 2nd half of it. This guy I can't help but think is going to breakout with the roster spots throughout the lineup that are waiting for him.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2018, 09:36 AM   #104
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

i think Lindholm bets on himself and takes a little less to get to UFA status faster...

signing longer than that would be a surprise to me as he doesn't know the city or organization.

5x5 seems to be the ceiling for me at least....guessing he'd be a little bit lower on a 5 year contract
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:42 AM   #105
delayedreflex
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

This post suggesting that it'll come in at $5.25M x 6 years ($31.5M total) - higher than I would like, but hopefully he has some untapped potential still. If he's able to put up at least 50 points per season and play sound two-way hockey then it will at least be a fair deal.
delayedreflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:46 AM   #106
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

If he scores 50 points and is a good two way player like he's shown he can be then 5.25 is a bargain.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2018, 10:53 AM   #107
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayedreflex View Post
This post suggesting that it'll come in at $5.25M x 6 years ($31.5M total) - higher than I would like, but hopefully he has some untapped potential still. If he's able to put up at least 50 points per season and play sound two-way hockey then it will at least be a fair deal.
I'd be more than okay with that contract. I have a suspicion that Lindholm is due for a breakout.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:57 AM   #108
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Cuz all players are paid in USD, so when the Canadian dollar is low it’s actually a benefit to the player. They can just convert their USD into CAD and boom you have 30% more money than someone making the same salary in a US market.

Giordano mentioned this as part of his negotiation too. He said, at the time, it actually netted him like 9mill Canadian, and since there’s not a 30% decrease in standard of living or increase in cost of living in Canada vs the US he comes out on top in that equation.
Actually, you have the exact same amount of money, but in a different currency. Less if you take into account the banks cut for converting that currency.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2018, 11:03 AM   #109
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

For a player who plays 18 mins a game with considerable PP time yet has not topped the 20 goal or the 50 point mark yet, the idea of paying him $5+ million could be a bit steep. Like what is Lindholm exactly? Will he be another Frolik at $5+ million or will he be 60 point 2 way forward worth every penny. Not sure, but with the type of production he’s had with the sheer amount of playing time, I’d be more comfortable giving him $4.5M instead.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:23 PM   #110
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
For a player who plays 18 mins a game with considerable PP time yet has not topped the 20 goal or the 50 point mark yet, the idea of paying him $5+ million could be a bit steep. Like what is Lindholm exactly? Will he be another Frolik at $5+ million or will he be 60 point 2 way forward worth every penny. Not sure, but with the type of production he’s had with the sheer amount of playing time, I’d be more comfortable giving him $4.5M instead.
Agree 100%. I'd be in the low 4MM, but his upside and age push it to the high 4MM for me. If he gets 5MM, he better be over 50 pts with stellar defensive play every year.
Niemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:34 PM   #111
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
You're right about the Canadian assets (although there are a bunch of tax implications of investing cross border).

Your analogy about the ruler makes no sense. You're talking about a static form of measurement vs something with a variety of impacts from taxes to cost of living to, yes, currency differences/fluctuations, that can change it's value. If you make $100k/year in Calgary vs PEI, you're living a completely different life. But the amount of money is the same. If you make $100K USD. year, but live in PEI, you're better off than someone living in Connecticut and making the same.
You’re mixing cost of living and taxes with exchange rate differences.

If you make $100K US a year you’re better off living in Beaumont TX than Vancouver. Doesn’t matter what the exchange rate is. This has been true for last 30 years despite wild fluctuations in exchange rates.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:13 AM   #112
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
A 60 point two-way forward would get $6 - $7M (see O'Reilly, Kesler, etc) and $5.25M would be an absolute steal.

If he is a consistent 50 point two-way forward, $5 - $5.25M would be a great deal for the Flames.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #113
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
You’re mixing cost of living and taxes with exchange rate differences.

If you make $100K US a year you’re better off living in Beaumont TX than Vancouver. Doesn’t matter what the exchange rate is. This has been true for last 30 years despite wild fluctuations in exchange rates.
Except for the fact that you live in Beaumont Texas.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2018, 09:33 AM   #114
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
A 60 point two-way forward would get $6 - $7M (see O'Reilly, Kesler, etc) and $5.25M would be an absolute steal.

If he is a consistent 50 point two-way forward, $5 - $5.25M would be a great deal for the Flames.
Bang on ...

Just looked it up simply. 100th ranked forward had 28 points, 100th ranked forward salary is $5M flat.

If he gets 6 years and $5M the Flames are banking on him doing what he has been doing. They don't need him to improve much to get value.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2018, 10:08 AM   #115
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You're comparing UFA contracts to a RFA though and that doesn't work.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2018, 10:14 AM   #116
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
O'Reilly wasn't a UFA when he signed his contract which is clear as he was in Buffalo!
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:16 AM   #117
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
As you add UFA years to an RFA contract, the lines begin to blur though.

Also, the oilers have been working hard for years to eliminate any advantage that teams had with RFA contracts.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:23 AM   #118
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Except for the fact that you live in Beaumont Texas.
Perhaps "better off" was a poor choice of words on my part.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #119
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Yeah, and when you couldn’t watch most of the games because they weren’t televised... being a sports fan today is much more engaging and has more depth IMO than it ever has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Back then we had to watch the late night sport shows and read the news in the paper the following day to find out what happened. If you cared about teams in other cities, you had to go to the library and find those papers.

Sports pools were even more difficult, someone had to do the math every Wednesday after the team summaries were printed. National pools, don't get me started. You had to mail a trade to someone, and it went back and forth like that. Seriously.

Didn't mean we weren't engaged or educated, it was just done differently.

It is way easier to be a sports fan today. On the other hand, in Calgary at 11pm in the 80s, every single sports fan was watching Sports at 11. Eventually, for real time scores, you had to watch the CNN ticker!
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nage Waza For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2018, 12:30 PM   #120
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Don’t forget though, there’s also potential for him to do worse (i.e. Brouwer, Raymond and etc). That’s the risk and Treliving will need to mitigate that as much as possible. We’re all hoping that he breaks through. But the biggest fear for me is that his production level drops and we have another anchor of a contract that actually inhibits the team going forward. For a player who hasn’t touched the 20 goal mark yet, I personally wouldn’t be comfortable seeing his number start with a $5.xx.

Heck, I remember people here complaining about Backlund’s $5.35M and he’s a multiple 20 goal scoring center who was 4th in Selke voting.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote