Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2018, 12:39 PM   #241
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneto View Post
Still seems like the obvious move is to trade Stone for a late round pick. Andersson is the fill in, and cap room is made.
That's what i was thinking, but then there was noise they wanted to add a depth D. So not sure you save that much...maybe 1-2mm? Brouwer could be gonzo too.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:40 PM   #242
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do hope the Flames do find a way to dump Brouwer or buy him out.

Here are the deals I would hope for

Hanifin 7 years x $5.5M
Jankowski 4 years x $2.5M
Kulak 2 years $750k
Hathaway 1 year $500k

Flames would need to shed $1.5M or so to make that happen. Buying out Brouwer makes it doable.

The one thing I really hope happens is locking up Hanifin long term.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #243
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Pretty close to the going rate.

8 M left for Hanifin, Jankowski, Hathaway and Kulak and backup goalie That is an 8/5 = 1.6M average.

Brouwer buyout in the works?
If there was, it would already have happened.

The only way Brouwer gets bought out is if Hanafin scores a massive win in arbitration that leaves us with no choice but to clear space.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #244
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I do hope the Flames do find a way to dump Brouwer or buy him out.

Here are the deals I would hope for

Hanifin 7 years x $5.5M
Jankowski 4 years x $2.5M
Kulak 2 years $750k
Hathaway 1 year $500k

Flames would need to shed $1.5M or so to make that happen. Buying out Brouwer makes it doable.
the minimum salary is 650k.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2018, 12:42 PM   #245
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
If there was, it would already have happened.

The only way Brouwer gets bought out is if Hanafin scores a massive win in arbitration that leaves us with no choice but to clear space.
He's not going to arbitration.

I think it's possible if the two sides end up with a long term deal they like and they need the space to lock it down.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:42 PM   #246
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
the minimum salary is 650k.
I honestly would prefer to let Hathaway walk
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2018, 12:43 PM   #247
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

If Stone doesn't go then Andersson starts on the farm. Why? Prout.

Huska loved him and I believe pushed for him to be re-signed so they could have him in the room for the big club. Treliving even referenced this when describing the sort of teammate he is. Compared him to Engelland. He'll maybe play only against the Oilers this year, but Prout is on this team.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:43 PM   #248
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great contract! honestly getting him for anything under 5.25 was going to be a win in my opinion, but to get him for 6 years and less than 5mil per is excellent. Its the type of contract where even if he doesn't live up to it, we will still be able to either move him or play him in bottom 6.

And the chances of this looking like an unreal and great value contract are at least 50/50 with cap growth and his potential
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:44 PM   #249
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I really hope he makes room to sign Hanifin long term. I would hate a bridge a on a kid who's likely to break out in the next couple of seasons.

We're going to save a couple million on cap hit now and then could easily be up in the $7mil-$8mil+ range on the next one. There's a reason you don't see bridges very often anymore, it's almost guaranteed to bite you on young improving players.

You buy out Brouwer this off season if you need to, you don't bridge to kick the contract rock down the road a couple years, cause the rock is going to be huge when you catch up to it again.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2018, 12:47 PM   #250
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I honestly would prefer to let Hathaway walk
I'd keep him, but he's a 13th/14th guy for me who strictly draws in for 4th line energy assignments and who could also go down to the AHL at some point. Doubt he'd be claimed, and I wouldn't lose any sleep if he was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
If Stone doesn't go then Andersson starts on the farm. Why? Prout.

Huska loved him and I believe pushed for him to be re-signed so they could have him in the room for the big club. Treliving even referenced this when describing the sort of teammate he is. Compared him to Engelland. He'll maybe play only against the Oilers this year, but Prout is on this team.
I'd be fine with it. I'd rather have Prout in the Bartkowski popcorn role and have Andersson, Valimaki and Kylington play big minutes in Stockton than waste one of them as the 7th defenseman.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2018, 12:47 PM   #251
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
This is why I don't understand the people who want to fire Treliving. You may disagree with some of the moves he makes - going for Smith, trading for Hamilton instead of Jones, various FA signings.

But.

When you look at his moves, they're logical, they're not made out of desperation, and while you may not agree with the specific player he choses to acquire, you cannot deny he identifies the right areas of weakness and does whatever he can to resolve it.
None of that matters if he fails to get the team up the standings though. He's been here so long and sold away so much of the future in the form of draft picks that all those moves that look good in isolation need to add up at least a playoff spot right now. Otherwise he's very likely gone. And I don't mean "fans will want him gone" or "I want him gone", I just don't see the Flames giving him more chances.

It's a results oriented business, simple as that.

After all that sort-of-criticism (although mostly it's just pointing out the obvious I think), I would however like to say that if there's one thing Treliving is undoubtedly good at, it's contract negotiations. Not all of them are steals, some of the players signed have been wrong choices, but the contracts themselves have been consistently at least decent and often excellent.

I'm not 100% sold on Lindholms potential, I'm not a huge fan of long contracts since there's so much risk involved, but with that cap hit it's a pretty low risk with potential for a really good payoff.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:50 PM   #252
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
He's not going to arbitration.

I think it's possible if the two sides end up with a long term deal they like and they need the space to lock it down.
I agree.

But I was offering the only likely scenario where Brouwer gets bought out this summer. The buy out period is currently closed. We only get a new window if player-initiated arbitration results in someone being awarded a contract.

None of Hathaway, Kulak or Jankowski are going to command big money - so the most likely scenario that sees us needing to clear that space via buy out is Hanafin.

Though I'd be happier if we convinced someone to take Brouwer at 50% retained in exchange for a player to be named and a promise to just forget to name any player.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:52 PM   #253
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Hathaway really isn't good. I really, really hope they don't bother to sign him.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2018, 12:53 PM   #254
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Hathaway really isn't good. I really, really hope they don't bother to sign him.
As much as I want to like him I was disappointed when they qualified him
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:54 PM   #255
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I agree.

But I was offering the only likely scenario where Brouwer gets bought out this summer. The buy out period is currently closed. We only get a new window if player-initiated arbitration results in someone being awarded a contract.

None of Hathaway, Kulak or Jankowski are going to command big money - so the most likely scenario that sees us needing to clear that space via buy out is Hanafin.

Though I'd be happier if we convinced someone to take Brouwer at 50% retained in exchange for a player to be named and a promise to just forget to name any player.
The way I read it, we get the window because players have filled for Arbitration, not because it goes to Arbitration. Maybe I'm wrong, but I found this "buyout windows for dummies" write-up on the web.

https://www.silversevensens.com/2015...efresher-guide

The second is a window related to arbitration, and it carries some extra restrictions. For this window to open, the team has to have a player that filed for arbitration. This window opens on the third day after the team's last arbitration is concluded (or settled, if it doesn't make it to a hearing) and is open for 48 hours. There are also restrictions on which players can be bought out - First, the player has to have been on the reserve list as of the last trade deadline (so no buying out that off-season signing you regret until the next trade deadline). Second, there is a minimum cap value for a contract to be eligible for this - $2.75m AAV initially, but the value goes up based on the average league salary each year. The notable absence in those restrictions is that it has nothing to do with who went to arbitration, any player who meets those two restrictions can be bought out.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2018, 12:55 PM   #256
Bear
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I agree.

I believe that we have a buyout window as soon as we settle the last of our arb cases, regardless of whether it goes to arbitration or a deal between the 2 parties is struck prior.

Not that I think Brouwer gets bought out. More chance of that happening next season IMO.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:57 PM   #257
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There should be takers if we retain 1.5MM on Brouwer hopefully...... I dont think we move Stone. I feel hes underrated. Only guy that can step up if there is an injury.
Niemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:58 PM   #258
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
I believe that we have a buyout window as soon as we settle the last of our arb cases, regardless of whether it goes to arbitration or a deal between the 2 parties is struck prior.

Not that I think Brouwer gets bought out. More chance of that happening next season IMO.
I think the flames may buy out Brouwer if that is the only way that they can get Hannifan locked up on a long term deal rather then a bridge.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:58 PM   #259
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Yep window is already open. Arb results don't matter.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:59 PM   #260
Stud_McCool
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This gif seems appropriate because it's at an IKEA.
Stud_McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stud_McCool For This Useful Post: