Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 04:21 PM   #1421
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Stranger things have happened but I don't see Vegas helping to broker a deal that sends Eichel to a division rival.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:23 PM   #1422
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
those numbers are just "was Gaudreau stapled to Monahan and Ritchie?"

Neither Mony nor Ritchie were top 9 caliber forwards last year.
This is exactly it. The Flames formed the new top line they all took off.

If we had Eichel in and keep Tkachuk and Gaudreau to me that’s an elite top line

Lindholm to 2nd like with mang and Coleman is very good scoring line but elite defensive line. I wouldn’t even be against backlund Coleman Lindholm if we could snag a depth center

Our bottom 6 won’t score much but they are looking like lines you don’t want to play against

Only thing I don’t like it our pp dmen. Rasmus or hanifin would need to step up. Unless we went 5 forwards but not a huge fan of that
Old 07-29-2021, 04:23 PM   #1423
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Stranger things have happened but I don't see Vegas helping to broker a deal that sends Eichel to a division rival.
I dont think they'd see it that way. To them they're acquiring Monahan from a division rival for very few assets and hoping he has a turnaround. They were clearly not interested in giving up what it takes for eichel if they consider this so Monahan is a 1c consolation.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:27 PM   #1424
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I think Johnny wasn't ready for Sutter hockey for sure.

But he adjusted, by probably reigning in some of the risk taking and then getting better suited linemates.

Hard to pinpoint obviously.

But for fun ...

CF%
Ward 50%
Sutter (1st 15) 48%
Sutter (Last 15) 57%

xGF%
Ward 54%
Sutter (1st 15) 42%
Sutter (Last 15) 61%

SCF%
Ward 50%
Sutter (1st 15) 46%
Sutter (Last 15) 55%

HDCF%
Ward 51%
Sutter (1st 15) 43%
Sutter (Last 15) 61%

I know when I coach kids hockey I don't like forwards to turn the puck over at either blueline; that's pretty much logical hockey 101.

Some when hearing that (kids and parents) snap and suggest you're dummying down the sport or making kids into robots. But no way ... you're just asking the kid with the puck to make an assessment. If he thinks he can beat a guy 90% of the time take the chances. If it's closer to 20% given the situation dump it in.

You could see Gaudreau change his assessment level tremendously as the season wore on.
From my pov, initially Gaudreau was firing everything into the zone if the had the puck approaching the blueline. I watched him kind of slap the puck down the wall...to no real effect.

The change I saw that really boosted your cited stats was when the lines became 13-28-19.
Specifically I watched 13 and 19 work the transition game so, so well. I wonder if anyone can post the transition stats people on twitter were posting about draft picks - just for that 13-19 combo.

Gaudreau and Tkachuk were figuring out how to play with each other and they made great little passes to one another to get out of d zone, through nz and into the offensive zone.

I think Sutter even commented that with that alignment they were playing a more puck possession game.

I'm very interested to see what they do about lines (after all the offseason is done and the roster is set). If it's the addition of Coleman (to the previous top six from last year) it will be interesting what they decide to do:

Roll with those numbers produced from 13-28-19 all year and have a loaded up first line.

88-11-20 for that true 2 way line for the matchups (then go 29-23) as second all offensive role

OR

Do they try to use 13-23-20 and 19-28-88?
I have my preference but at least they know that 13-28-19 worked really well under Sutter (plus it didn't seem like they didn't know how to get a puck out of a corner )

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 07-29-2021 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:31 PM   #1425
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is my new dream scenario.

Monahan-Eichel-Futures 3 way trade. Flames send Valimaki, 1st and one of Pelletier/Zary/Coronato/Wolf and whatever futures and contracts Monahan returns to Buffalo.

Flames go all in for next year (Gaudreau signs this summer) and then next summer they need to decide betweenness Mangiapane and Tkachuk and trade the other to recoup some of the futures lost in the Eichel deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 04:32 PM   #1426
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutout View Post
I think that Gaudreau will want to play for the Flyers at some point in his career.
And will want to do so when he still has some value to them.
I think that he will probably max out at a five year deal.
Brings him to an age where he can still sign a one or two year deal that won't be tough on the Flyers but will allow him to play out a childhood fantasy.

Contract is probably 5x$8.25
If that was the case why not just sign there in the offseason?

Are other fan-bases as obsessed with their players wanting to go "home" as Flames fans? I really doubt Avs and Lightning fans worry about Makar or Point wanting to be a Flame

Gaudreau could have finished his degree and signed with Philly or Jersey years ago, instead he has signed two contracts with the Flames and finished his degree from home on his own time (he graduated at the end of this season)

Gaudreau has said multiple times he wants to stay and they're working on a contract. Coleman said he talked to Johnny and he was part of the reason he signed here. Treliving obviously knows the situation and I really doubt he'd handcuff himself by waiting for Johnny's NMC to kick in if he wasn't confident they are going to get a deal done

Between always being questioned about his commitment to the team and dealing with Eric Francis's never-ending quest to chase him out of town, I won't even blame Johnny if he leaves at this point
Old 07-29-2021, 04:34 PM   #1427
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
This is my new dream scenario.

Monahan-Eichel-Futures 3 way trade. Flames send Valimaki, 1st and one of Pelletier/Zary/Coronato/Wolf and whatever futures and contracts Monahan returns to Buffalo.

Flames go all in for next year (Gaudreau signs this summer) and then next summer they need to decide betweenness Mangiapane and Tkachuk and trade the other to recoup some of the futures lost in the Eichel deal.
Depending how next season goes, it may be possible to keep both. Backlund or Lucics money could go to Mangiapane and they'd just need to clear a bit of space to give Tkachuk a raise
Old 07-29-2021, 04:35 PM   #1428
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

I never think that my team is going to be the team that makes one of these moves. No matter the sport. I never believe it's going to be my team. This time, I have this weird feeling...it's going to be us. I actually think that we are going to make a trade for Jack Eichel.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:37 PM   #1429
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
I never think that my team is going to be the team that makes one of these moves. No matter the sport. I never believe it's going to be my team. This time, I have this weird feeling...it's going to be us. I actually think that we are going to make a trade for Jack Eichel.

Of all the teams that were expected to make big moves… the flames have been the most quiet. That could mean their big move is whatever it takes to get eichel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 04:38 PM   #1430
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
This post, and only this post alone, is what will curse this deal and be the cause that it doesn't happen.

Thanks a lot!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 04:40 PM   #1431
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think after settling with zadorov and our UFA/RFAs we won’t have more than $2-3 million of cap room left.

So I don’t see Eichel showing up unless at least 2 roster players are going the other way.

Question is how do you fill in those voids with no money?
Old 07-29-2021, 04:40 PM   #1432
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Why would Buffalo have to add to Monahan to get Smith.

Monahan is 4 years younger, neither is great defensively, both had down seasons last year.

Monahan is easily a better asset than Smith.
That's the only part of the idea that doesn't make sense to me, it would be the other way around, Smith + pick for Monahan.They can also flip Smith at the deadline to a contender for another asset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
Did you include the Brouwer buyout ($1.5M). Don't meant to be picky but the Flames would need to nickle and dime a bit. They would also lose one of Mangiapane/Gaudreau/Tkachuk the following year as they would all require raises. Aside from that the lineup looks pretty good assuming Tanev doesn't get injured.
I threw it together quickly on Notepad and didn't do it on CapFriendly like I usually do, but you're right I forgot about Brouwer.

They would have to skim a little off the RFA signings then.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:41 PM   #1433
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I agree with Racki. Something about this feels right. I'm convinced Treliving is going to take a real run at Eichel.
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 04:42 PM   #1434
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
This post, and only this post alone, is what will curse this deal and be the cause that it doesn't happen.

Thanks a lot!
or...this post...and this post alone...is going to make it happen!
Old 07-29-2021, 04:44 PM   #1435
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

I know people are negative about Treliving but both Hamilton trades were blockbuster trades and he wasn’t afraid to load up picks for a young star.

I’m certain he’s truly in on it and Coleman signing was needed depth for the guys he trading out. Cmon Brad!
Old 07-29-2021, 04:47 PM   #1436
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
I know people are negative about Treliving but both Hamilton trades were blockbuster trades and he wasn’t afraid to load up picks for a young star.

I’m certain he’s truly in on it and Coleman signing was needed depth for the guys he trading out. Cmon Brad!
Very possible. Team may need Coleman if Mangiapane is in the deal.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:50 PM   #1437
Fourteen FTW
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Markstrom- Monahan -1st and a 3rd. Here comes big Jack.
Old 07-29-2021, 04:52 PM   #1438
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourteen FTW View Post
Markstrom- Monahan -1st and a 3rd. Here comes big Jack.
Lol and the Flames goalie is?
Old 07-29-2021, 04:52 PM   #1439
Fourteen FTW
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Lol and the Flames goalie is?
Hungry like the Wolfe
Old 07-29-2021, 04:52 PM   #1440
Yobbo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've watched this team wallow in mediocrity for so many years now I've actually become resigned to the feeling of not having a winning team ever.

A deal that could bring Eichel to Calgary is something I feel they must do and take the chance at a player of his quality. Lord, knows we don't ever have game changing players in the minors so why not try going all in on a franchise player.

Eichel's injury is a bit of a worry, but if his surgery works out well, he'll instantly upgrade our team for the better.

We would have that elusive number one center this team has lacked for years and years.

Last edited by Yobbo; 07-29-2021 at 05:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yobbo For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread