Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2022, 01:50 PM   #81
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
No idea if they have Monster stuff, but dollar stores are where I go for Gatorade Zero, waaay cheaper than even grocery stores.

Not sure they'd have flats either actually.
I doubt Dollarama/dollar stores would have it, but those places always surprise me. But my thinking is that they likely get supplies somewhere in the city. I just wonder where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
For the gold rod, yeah painting one with gold Rust-Oleum would probably work fine.
It should be OK short term. But I'd attempt to get plastic hangers vs metal ones. With metal on metal closet rod situations, I've seen a lot of the metal come off the hangers to either scuff and/or "stain" the rod a weird and different color.

Now that I think about it, in the same vein that I've seen before... Maybe Cro should use a wood dowel that has been spray painted gold and he could attach a metal or plastic sliver on the top of the rod that takes all the damage from the hangers? Looks gold, doesn't take as much damage to the rod.

Last edited by DoubleF; 09-14-2022 at 01:53 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 01:59 PM   #82
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Friggen pinterest generation. Everyone has to have to most fairy and the most princessy thing to show off to their friends. Does anyone ask how much work dads put in so moms can have their perfect pinterest page? No.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 02:07 PM   #83
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Friggen pinterest generation. Everyone has to have to most fairy and the most princessy thing to show off to their friends. Does anyone ask how much work dads put in so moms can have their perfect pinterest page? No.
OK, one sec. We focused so much on the rod we forgot to ask the other questions.

Did you wallpaper the inside of the closet? Are the closet doors clear and opulent looking? Bonus points for a rose shaped handle or knobs. What is the pink to the rest of the house ratio? Are there motion lights built into the inside? Has the child's name been added somewhere to show dominance? Has there been a hanging consideration for wings and/or wands? Pulley system to descend rainbow/magical light reflection stuff when the doors are opened?

Bed inside so that the child can bask in all of the glory... oh wait, sorry that's the Harry Potter closet pinterest page.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2022, 02:19 PM   #84
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Pintrest can #### off for the #### that comes up on google image searches.

Yes I know I can filter them out, no I don't care they can still #### right to hell.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2022, 02:25 PM   #85
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
OK, one sec. We focused so much on the rod we forgot to ask the other questions.

Did you wallpaper the inside of the closet? Are the closet doors clear and opulent looking? Bonus points for a rose shaped handle or knobs. What is the pink to the rest of the house ratio? Are there motion lights built into the inside? Has the child's name been added somewhere to show dominance? Has there been a hanging consideration for wings and/or wands? Pulley system to descend rainbow/magical light reflection stuff when the doors are opened?

Bed inside so that the child can bask in all of the glory... oh wait, sorry that's the Harry Potter closet pinterest page.
Bro. Basically yes to everything except the Child's name displayed prominently. Don't give the wife ideas.

And that's just Princess #1's closet. I still got Princess #2, and a Prince to go.
Old 09-14-2022, 02:27 PM   #86
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bro. Basically yes to everything except the Child's name displayed prominently. Don't give the wife ideas.

And that's just Princess #1's closet. I still got Princess #2, and a Prince to go.
Sounds like you need to follow the Royal Family's lead, and reduce the number of Royals in the house.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 02:43 PM   #87
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

If the prince is the youngest he will probably just play in the princesses closets anyways so no point in making anything special for him as he only wants what his sisters have.

I stopped trying to give him nice things it wasn't worth the effort
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2022, 03:01 PM   #88
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Turn the boy's room into the dungeon. Less work for you and he won't have his mom constantly telling him to clean up his room because the messier it is, the better it fits the theme.
Old 09-14-2022, 04:12 PM   #89
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Try metal supermarkets here in the city. Call them and tell they you want a brass rod/tube and give them the dimensions. Then polish it. The $130 option is highway robbery.

403-720-2267

Last edited by surferguy; 09-14-2022 at 04:16 PM.
surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2022, 05:20 PM   #90
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Try this and see if the "foreman" kicks you off the project?

Princess 2 is being moved to a ####hole corner in the basement. You got the idea from Cinderella pinterest.

Prince's closet is being inspired by Ru Paul. It's going to be fricken awesome rainbows and feathers.
Old 09-14-2022, 07:34 PM   #91
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Try metal supermarkets here in the city. Call them and tell they you want a brass rod/tube and give them the dimensions. Then polish it. The $130 option is highway robbery.

403-720-2267

Never even heard of this place. Nice, will check it out.
Old 09-14-2022, 09:27 PM   #92
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

All this talk about golden rods and no jokes? I am disappoint, CP.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 09:51 PM   #93
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
All this talk about golden rods and no jokes? I am disappoint, CP.
Dude, come on. It was for a princess.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2022, 10:07 PM   #94
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That's what I guess for mindlessly skimming. Apologies.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2022, 09:26 AM   #95
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Are there any motorcycle specific tire dealers in town that someone could suggest?

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 11:52 AM   #96
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
My brother started tiling the inside of two 14" x 14" x 5' kitchen pantries this weekend with subway tiles, and installing glass shelves and brass supports, cause his words: "[wife] saw it on pinterest." He was not happy mid-day Sunday when he realized this was going to take him weeks with the little free time he has.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2022, 12:57 PM   #97
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
My brother started tiling the inside of two 14" x 14" x 5' kitchen pantries this weekend with subway tiles, and installing glass shelves and brass supports, cause his words: "[wife] saw it on pinterest." He was not happy mid-day Sunday when he realized this was going to take him weeks with the little free time he has.
What about suggesting he use textured subway tile wallpaper rather than real tile to save a ton of costs and time?

That sucks though.

One thing I discovered that might be helpful: demand the spouse help on the project. It might help to scuttle some future projects, or at least offer enough help to get through the project quickly.

A few months ago, my wife was demanding certain investigation for repairs or upgrades and I was at wits end in dealing with it along with a few other projects. I said it'd be fine as long as she called around for a few quotes... it's been beautiful silence since then.
Old 09-19-2022, 01:06 PM   #98
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The trick is to have one massive project that takes all your time. "I'll do it when I'm done re-insulting the entire house, replacing the siding and fixing random holes!"
Old 09-19-2022, 01:08 PM   #99
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
What about suggesting he use textured subway tile wallpaper rather than real tile to save a ton of costs and time?

That sucks though.

One thing I discovered that might be helpful: demand the spouse help on the project. It might help to scuttle some future projects, or at least offer enough help to get through the project quickly.

A few months ago, my wife was demanding certain investigation for repairs or upgrades and I was at wits end in dealing with it along with a few other projects. I said it'd be fine as long as she called around for a few quotes... it's been beautiful silence since then.
"Demand" might be a strong word, but encourage them to pursue it. If they tell you and idea go with something like "Sounds great! Let's chat again about the total cost and time commitment when you get that sorted out". Proceed to never hear about it again.
Old 09-19-2022, 01:12 PM   #100
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The trick is to have one massive project that takes all your time. "I'll do it when I'm done re-insulting the entire house, replacing the siding and fixing random holes!"
Or "breaking"/dragging your feet on things that are easily repaired in a few seconds.

"Yeah, sorry all these shelves are broken. I'll fix it when I get the chance to buy shelf tabs to hold up the shelf... Oh sorry, the ones I bought didn't fit. I'll have to go out again some time... Oh darn, lost another one/it broke again... maybe I should buy the metal ones instead of the plastic ones..."

Or quid pro quo?

"Why is it taking 15 days rather than 15 minutes to do this thing? We'll I could do it faster if I could buy these nifty tools so I don't have to redo things or do it slow..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
"Demand" might be a strong word, but encourage them to pursue it. If they tell you and idea go with something like "Sounds great! Let's chat again about the total cost and time commitment when you get that sorted out". Proceed to never hear about it again.
Well... some form of offloading to them rather than accept a "Can't you do it?" thing.

"OK, I'll do it if you swap the tires on the car for me. "
"Err... Nvm..."

But yes... in case it wasn't apparent, I'm half joking.