Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2021, 10:45 AM   #41
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I've spent a lot of time in Seattle which has a massive homelessness problem. I'm pretty comfortable with all that but want to be stationed in an area where I feel safe.
As a Vancouver resident surrounded by homelessness, we found the homeless in San Fran to be noticeably more aggressive.

We were there for 2 days and saw a person randomly attacked by a street person both days.
The first day outside a Blue Bottle coffee shop and had his camera stolen.
The 2nd day on a popular strip of bars and just a random sucker punch for nothing.

This could have just been our coincidental experience, but it felt concerning to see something 2 days in a row.
We never felt unsafe, but we stayed alert more than we need to in other cities.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 10:55 AM   #42
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Oakland is actually both beautiful and safe in a lot of areas (I would say most but some areas are kind of industrial and run down), and absolutely worth the trip across the bridge (if you rent a car, in which case you should also check out Berkeley and, as mentioned, Alameda).

East bay is far better than the city overall, but if you want to check off the tourist stuff there’s little point in recommending a trip across the bridge.
I know it has nice places like most large US cities where you have to pick your spots. I've spent decades on Raiders forums and fans that lived in Oakland always defended it. The crime rate is pretty bad though.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:04 AM   #43
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I loved going to SF in the 90’s. I hate it now. The city is pretty much taken. A guy pissed on the sidewalk right in front of us walking along. Literally, “took it out” and did it. There’s sh..t everywhere. Needles everywhere. Parks and green areas are disgusting. Downtown is disgusting and unsafe. No desire to go there ever again.
Old 11-02-2021, 11:08 AM   #44
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've heard comedians talk about how SF has the ugliest women in america, the reason given is that there is a large a high proportion of rich, ugly men so you can be a 6 in SF and still get a millionaire.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:14 AM   #45
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I considered moving there once, but I could never connect with San Francisco. A city with temperamental weather, crazy prices, and where everyone now either seems to be a tech dork, an activist, or homeless (or perhaps all 3!). Great food though, and some of the areas around it are beautiful for sure.

I much prefer LA. Considerably better weather (which always reminds of the perfect Calgary summer day, just year round), the food is just as good (if not better), and the people are at least more honest with their shallow selves.

I'm always relaxed in LA (or San Diego or Palm Springs). In SF, I find myself more on edge.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:27 AM   #46
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I went to San Francisco for a few days once in July. Packed a bunch of "California summer clothes". Then proceeded to purchase a hoodie after about 1 hour of walking around there. Got a comment from the cashier like "but you're from Canada, you should be used to this." I said yeah, in March, not July.

It's an ok city. Not my favorite in the US, but not the worst. It's probably a bit over rated now, like the majority of California.
_Q_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:30 AM   #47
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
I went to San Francisco for a few days once in July. Packed a bunch of "California summer clothes". Then proceeded to purchase a hoodie after about 1 hour of walking around there. Got a comment from the cashier like "but you're from Canada, you should be used to this." I said yeah, in March, not July.
I was gonna say the same thing. Pack warmer clothes than you think.

We went 20ish year ago for buddy's wedding. They lived out in the Valley and it was hot. One day we drove into SF, was 80ish in the Valley and high 60's in SF.

We had fun, but so long ago hard to give you good advice other than pack warm clothes.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:41 AM   #48
karl262
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was there in 2007, we found a great hole in the wall Pakistani restaurant. We kept ordering more and more because it was so good, took down many plates that night. Not sure what area it was in or it's name but I recommend the boti.
karl262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:03 PM   #49
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Worst car rental of my life happened in San Francisco. It was like that scene in Seinfeld. You know how to take the reservation, but you don't know how to HOLD the reservation. Except instead of just Jerry and Elaine in the car rental place, there are literally hundreds of people waiting with the same problem. I got my car 6 hours after my plane landed, and only because I was willing to take any car, no matter how much it cost per day.

That was 20 years ago, but other than the car rental incident all I remember is the place was stupidly windy. Doubt I'll ever go back. Agree with a few others that SoCal is vastly superior.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:25 PM   #50
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's an ok city. Not my favorite in the US, but not the worst. It's probably a bit over rated now, like the majority of California.
I was down there and did some hiking around Lands End. My brother came to pick me up from there and was like "ahhh, I see you're a tourist because you had to buy a sweater!"
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
_Q_
Old 11-02-2021, 12:39 PM   #51
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
Worst car rental of my life happened in San Francisco. It was like that scene in Seinfeld. You know how to take the reservation, but you don't know how to HOLD the reservation. Except instead of just Jerry and Elaine in the car rental place, there are literally hundreds of people waiting with the same problem. I got my car 6 hours after my plane landed, and only because I was willing to take any car, no matter how much it cost per day.

That was 20 years ago, but other than the car rental incident all I remember is the place was stupidly windy. Doubt I'll ever go back. Agree with a few others that SoCal is vastly superior.
Worst airport experience in my life. Its the closest I've ever come to actually missing my flight. It was just complete anarchy.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 12:47 PM   #52
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Was just there a couple weeks ago. I have been several times over the last 15 years. This time was weird. It seemed... empty. Lots of closed businesses in typical busy areas, including Fishermans wharf.

We sat down and chatted with some locals in Little Italy. SF has seen a huge number of people leave the city during covid, second largest urban exodus in the US.
GomerPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 01:15 PM   #53
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GomerPile View Post
Was just there a couple weeks ago. I have been several times over the last 15 years. This time was weird. It seemed... empty. Lots of closed businesses in typical busy areas, including Fishermans wharf.

We sat down and chatted with some locals in Little Italy. SF has seen a huge number of people leave the city during covid, second largest urban exodus in the US.
This is similar to my experience in NYC this summer. I was warned to expect a different New York, but was still stunned how far things had degraded. It was a little heartbreaking to be honest.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 01:18 PM   #54
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Worst airport experience in my life. Its the closest I've ever come to actually missing my flight. It was just complete anarchy.
Then you, my friend, have surely never had the pleasure of experiencing Newark Airport.
_Q_ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2021, 01:25 PM   #55
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

The weather thing works the other way as well. We've gone many times, and are used to the foggy cool, and just dress for it.

One day we had Oakland As tickets for an afternoon game. We spent the morning in SF (and dressed appropriately warm) and then took BART over to Oakland for the game. We bought T-Shirts at the souvenir stand in about the third inning - it was probably 20 degrees C warmer in the stadium than it had been in SF.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2021, 01:25 PM   #56
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Denver and Johannesburg were worse

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:11 PM   #57
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Then you, my friend, have surely never had the pleasure of experiencing Newark Airport.
Thankfully I have not.

On my list of vacation destinations Newark ranks rather low.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:13 PM   #58
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
The weather thing works the other way as well. We've gone many times, and are used to the foggy cool, and just dress for it.

One day we had Oakland As tickets for an afternoon game. We spent the morning in SF (and dressed appropriately warm) and then took BART over to Oakland for the game. We bought T-Shirts at the souvenir stand in about the third inning - it was probably 20 degrees C warmer in the stadium than it had been in SF.
I had that experience also. It was scorching in that stadium! Which, on a tangent, is pretty terrible. Maybe only slightly above the Saddledome because it was empty and you could use the washrooms easily.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 02:32 PM   #59
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
The Chancellor is near Chinatown - the oldest in North America. Nice quaint little hotel near union square, good rates and would recommend. Lots of the older boutique hotels have shared washrooms, make sure you keep an eye on that.
Can second the recommendation for the Chancellor if you like heritage/boutique hotels. Down the block from Union Square, so you’re right in the thick of things.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 03:16 PM   #60
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have family in the area and have been down there numerous times. On the weather question, for sure it can be cool in San Francisco proper, but the climate changes drastically as you go inland or across the Bay.

Great city to visit, although honestly wouldn't want to live there. Cost of living is unbelievable.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote