Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-01-2021, 03:48 PM   #261
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks for all the feedback and chatter on the dog/front lawn thing. I feel extremely enlightened and will definitely respect anyone who puts up a sign! (and for the record, I always have, but was more wondering what the big deal was)

I am actually quite surprised that there are several here that feel it would be blasphemous if a dog did it's business on the lawn without a sign. This has always been standard practice since I've always had dogs as a kid. Guess I'm a bit of an A-hole.

Always great to get a Sliver rant too!
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:42 PM   #262
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
This is a gear grinder for me. I used to have a Bernese Mountain Dog with an ex of mine.

Big dog. 110 lbs or so (was a female so a bit smaller). We lived in a condo that was about 1300 sq ft.

People would constantly remark "how could you keep such a big dog in a condo!?"

WTF does it matter to you?

Bernese are one of the laziest breeds available. That dog got pack walked every afternoon for 3 hours and you could barely get her outside at night as she was wiped. We also walked her every morning and twice at night.

I've looked after a few of my friends small dogs - "good condo dogs" - and F that. Those dogs were so damn hyper i couldnt play them out.

also most of the people commenting on it lived in a house with a big dog. You think that dog is capitalizing on that extra 1000-1200 sq ft? Does that dog just love the four bedrooms?

Their idea of giving a dog exercise was letting it out to the backyard to pee. Here you go Roofus, go run in circles out here alone.

RGMG
lol yeah people don't realize that if the dog isn't engaged with someone/something, it's not really tiring out. Just screwing around in the back yard alone won't cut it
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 07:27 PM   #263
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc View Post
Thanks for all the feedback and chatter on the dog/front lawn thing. I feel extremely enlightened and will definitely respect anyone who puts up a sign! (and for the record, I always have, but was more wondering what the big deal was)

I am actually quite surprised that there are several here that feel it would be blasphemous if a dog did it's business on the lawn without a sign. This has always been standard practice since I've always had dogs as a kid. Guess I'm a bit of an A-hole.

I don’t think I’ve got an answer from Cliff so I’ll ask you, can I poop on your lawn? It’s no big deal!
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:50 PM   #264
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
This is something I just don't understand. Do people really just get mail and rip it open, regardless of who it's for? Are they all single and just expect everything to be for them? Is it just a free for all and whoever gets the mail gets to open it, regardless of who it's mailed to? Do people not have spouses, kids or roomies, or does that not matter, mail free for all! Rip 'er open!

I just don't understand this. Would you rip open your spouses mail? Your kids? Who doesn't look at the name on the package to see if it actually belongs to them, before going to town?

From what I've seen (this sort of thing popped up in several places at once, amusingly) most folks don't give two sh*ts about who mail is actually addressed to, and just go to town if it shows up at their place. Fascinating.
My 2 year old doesn't open her own mail, I open it for her. Not really fascinating just more of a physical limitation.
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:57 PM   #265
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I don’t think I’ve got an answer from Cliff so I’ll ask you, can I poop on your lawn? It’s no big deal!
One of the posters (maybe it was scroopy), looked up the bylaw and there's nothing against a dog pooping on the lawn. On the other hand, I'm sure it's against the law for a human to poop on someone's front lawn.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:30 PM   #266
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
On the other hand, I'm sure it's against the law for a human to poop on someone's front lawn.
Technically sort of...

The bylaw: Defecating and urinating are prohibited in public places as well in public while on private property.

That COULD be interpreted as...as long as someone doesn't SEE you pooping on your neighbors lawn, you are in the clear TO poop there.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 08:49 PM   #267
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Technically sort of...

The bylaw: Defecating and urinating are prohibited in public places as well in public while on private property.

That COULD be interpreted as...as long as someone doesn't SEE you pooping on your neighbors lawn, you are in the clear TO poop there.
lol, I had no idea the "if a tree fell in the woods and no one heard it, it never fell" defence could be used
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pizza For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 09:12 PM   #268
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One of the posters (maybe it was scroopy), looked up the bylaw and there's nothing against a dog pooping on the lawn. On the other hand, I'm sure it's against the law for a human to poop on someone's front lawn.
I remember as a kid there was that prank where you'd put poop into a paper bag and light it on fire on someone's doorstep hoping they'd stomp it out... is that more legal than pooping on a lawn?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:32 PM   #269
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I remember as a kid there was that prank where you'd put poop into a paper bag and light it on fire on someone's doorstep hoping they'd stomp it out... is that more legal than pooping on a lawn?

He called the ##### poop!
The Following User Says Thank You to jroc For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 09:36 PM   #270
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I be sure to judge the house/belongings of the people who lawn my dog wants to piss on before I decide whether I let him or not.

Good care of your house?
Lawn mowed?
No weeds?
No #### vehicles leaking fluids?
No garbage out front?

Then i'll bring him to the public grass.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 09:38 PM   #271
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

I let me dogs go on one lawn in the neighbourhood. The one that regularly has junky old cars and appliances covering it. If they're going to use their front lawn as a dump, I figure it's okay for my dogs to take a dump too.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 09:53 PM   #272
Slanter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I let me dogs go on one lawn in the neighbourhood. The one that regularly has junky old cars and appliances covering it. If they're going to use their front lawn as a dump, I figure it's okay for my dogs to take a dump too.
That's funny, because there's a house like that in my neighborhood, and the guy has a sign threatening to sue anyone whose dog poops on his lawn. Like, you draw the line there?

Anyways, I get the point about not letting my dog pee on other people's property. I try to avoid it, especially the crazy guy's house. But I would like to point out that you probably don't own the first two feet from the sidewalk. There's usually an easement for city utilities. So if my dog does ever poop on that guy's lawn and he's watching (he usually is) it's going to be a fun conversation.
Slanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:59 PM   #273
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanter View Post
There's usually an easement for city utilities.
An easement doesn't mean you don't own a piece of land. It means that some third party has the specified right to use/access the land, usually for a specified purpose (maintaining utilities in your example).
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:22 AM   #274
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
lol, I had no idea the "if a tree fell in the woods and no one heard it, it never fell" defence could be used
There is some interesting stuff around "when is something happening in/on private property considered 'in public'?" They seem to be mostly centered around Canada's muddy nudity laws, but could be applicable.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:30 AM   #275
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
This is something I just don't understand. Do people really just get mail and rip it open, regardless of who it's for? Are they all single and just expect everything to be for them? Is it just a free for all and whoever gets the mail gets to open it, regardless of who it's mailed to? Do people not have spouses, kids or roomies, or does that not matter, mail free for all! Rip 'er open!

I just don't understand this. Would you rip open your spouses mail? Your kids? Who doesn't look at the name on the package to see if it actually belongs to them, before going to town?

From what I've seen (this sort of thing popped up in several places at once, amusingly) most folks don't give two sh*ts about who mail is actually addressed to, and just go to town if it shows up at their place. Fascinating.
You obviously haven't reached the age where you need reading glasses to read everything. Like the time I got home and was excited my Amazon package arrived. It was actually a weed vaporizer for my daughter. Not sure if that is better or worse than a vibrator.

I always put my reading glasses on first now.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:31 AM   #276
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a bit of a distinction based on size of yards here? I think I would feel a lot worse if my dog peed in a small 10x20 front lawn where he's basically almost in the living room vs a neighborhood with 135 foot wide lots with houses 60 ft off the front street. I try to avoid lawns if I can when I walk, but I have 2 1 yo dogs and the girl will pretty just go without warning. I do think it is a little grosser when she goes on the sidewalk though leaving a puddle for people walking by vs on a large lawn.

Another thought about lawns, especially here in Virginia. I struggle over whether keeping a lawn green and nice through the summer is a good thing or not. To keep fescue green in the summer and weed free, I have to run the sprinklers a good 5-6 hours to even have a chance and put lots of crap on it to keep the weeds out. I still do it to keep up with the neighbors, but I feel guiltier every year, and certainly am ok with people that don't water in the summer.

And one more particular "who's the %&^hole?" dilemma. The neighborhood adjacent to mine does not have curbs or sidewalks, and there are a few corner houses that put little bricks, or stick in little pieces of re-bar or stakes to keep cars from going into their lawn. As someone who cycles through there and sees a lot of kids playing, they are just asking for someone to get hurt. Those are the houses I have no issue letting my dog go on.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:34 AM   #277
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

We live on a corner lot. In the winter, especially, we don't see what is going on in the side yard. This year, come spring melt, the snow was all yellow and brown along a long area. A huge stretch of grass ended up completely dying. It took six rolls of sod, the better part of the day, and many watering sessions running into the summer to get that back to normal.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nancy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 07:47 AM   #278
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

For the first time in my life, I opened a package that showed up from Amazon, that wasn't mine. I knew I had a package arriving. In fact, I got a notification that the courier would be by shortly to drop it off, then another that it had arrived. I peeked out my door & it was on my step. Picked it up, didn't look at the label really, and opened it. Wasn't my order.

It was, however, my daughter's. Neither she nor I knew that a friend of hers had sent her a little "get well/recovery" gift (usually her friends give me a heads up if they're sending anything beyond a letter, so I can keep it from being grabbed by porch pirates). So it was hers I ended up opening. My actual package got left at my neighbor's back door. Thankfully, 1 of *her* neighbours across the road saw it sitting there for a while, phoned her & let her know that her package had been delivered to her back step. Of course, she was confused because she hadn't ordered anything. She grabbed it, saw the address & delivered it to me (unopened, lol). As far as I can ever remember, that's the first time I've opened someone's mail because it was an honest mix-up.

It's not a habit, to open anyone's mail unless I've checked with them first and they instruct me to open it. We get all our bills online, so it's rare we see something in the mail. Birthday cards from the ILs, things like that, I leave on the table for the addressee. Other things, I take a picture & text it to my husband, for example, and inquire if he wants it opened by me or by him. For example, we got mail a couple of days ago from AMA - he texted back that I should open it and see what it's about.

We just rarely get paper mail anymore. Most things we do online, or if it's personal, we call.

ETA: gift was chocolate, and it was a good thing I ended up being the one to accidentally open it (I don't much care for chocolate/sweets) - her dad is a bit of a chocolate fiend, and any and all evidence of the package arriving may have disappeared quickly. I kid, I kid, he wouldn't have done that.

Last edited by Minnie; 12-02-2021 at 07:55 AM.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:51 AM   #279
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

It’s amazing to see so many people justify their urge to do whatever they want to someone else’s property because they don’t like the way someone cares for it. Do you hear yourselves?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 08:14 AM   #280
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
It’s amazing to see so many people justify their urge to do whatever they want to someone else’s property because they don’t like the way someone cares for it. Do you hear yourselves?
Is it doing something to someone's property? It seems more like not making the effort to prevent something from happening?

What's everyone doing about the cats, deer, birds, raccoons and rabbits going to the bathroom in their yards? Society dictates humans go in toilets, so it's not really an equivalent when pets are supposed to go outside.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
"what am i?"